U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2007, 03:02 PM

6,290 posts, read 20,565,526 times

Advertisements

Can I just get the barbeque plate with potato salad, baked beans, and cole slaw?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 05:04 PM

22,538 posts, read 46,123,072 times
MBMouse is from a Polish town. I don't think so! That's ME-ME-ME-ME!!!!!!!

I want the Polish dinner!!!!!!

I just found out my family is from Posen, Poland. I am ENTITLED!

Um, Alleycat...Are you sure you want that coleslaw? I can take it off your hands...

I'll take the barbecue but not the kind they serve up in Knoxville.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:12 PM

11 posts, read 19,925 times
I love barbeque. My husband has it down to a science. He makes baby back ribs with the best honey bbq sauce and he can grill or smoke them and they are wonderful. All his friends want his recipe, but he keeps it a secret. He also can grill up just about anything on the bbq. Another of my favorites is Beef TriTip. He also grills artichokes, asperagus, corn on the cob, etc. My mom makes the best cole slaw I have ever had. My parents also make great fish and chips. They learned from my dad's folks. I'll have to try making haluski. Kielbasa we eat a lot of already.
Well that's all. WC8

Last edited by westcoaster8; 06-06-2007 at 07:22 PM..

Old 06-06-2007, 10:15 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,819,272 times
anyone see the recent special on Food Network about the Pork BBQ Championship held in Memphis. Like the locals said, "it's all about cooking low & slow" Yummy!! I would consider a road trip to sink my teeth into that good stuff!

Challenge: Memphis in May BBQ
The best barbecue teams in the south gather in Memphis, Tennessee to compete for a $24,000 prize and the title of world champion. More than 200 teams come to this week-long party and pork-only contest, hoping their ribs, shoulder or whole hog will stand out above the rest.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:20 PM

11,614 posts, read 31,815,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDad View Post
anyone see the recent special on Food Network about the Pork BBQ Championship held in Memphis. Like the locals said, "it's all about cooking low & slow" Yummy!! I would consider a road trip to sink my teeth into that good stuff!
Oh let me tell you, it is worth the drive to Memphis for the bbq! I've been all over the country and have had good bbq just about everywhere. But I've never experienced anything like Memphis. It's like the entire city is insanely passionate about bbq. I mean I think bbq sauce flows through their veins. Ask 10 different Memphians where to get the best bbq in Memphis and you'll get 10 different answers. But the neat thing is, they're all correct.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Um, Alleycat...Are you sure you want that coleslaw? I can take it off your hands...
I'll keep the cole slaw, thank you. You can have my piece of chess pie . . . this once.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:06 PM

40 posts, read 110,322 times
Hi guys and gals, I have some catchin up to do so here goes. One of the best places to get homemade fried chicken is the state park in Crossville, they also have the best coleslaw and cold ham, shoot all of there food is homemade and so good it'll make your tongue smack your brains out. One of the best catfish restaurants that I've been to in a while is called Ragland Bottom and it's between Smithville and Sparta(you can also get there from Cookeville) just take the Smithville exit off of I-40 and keep going several miles after you cross over the river. They also have great hushpuppies, one other ingredient that alot of southerners put in their hp's is chopped onions. Yum, yum. Another southern food that I havn't seen listed here is cracklin bread and home fried tenderloins. As for Spam, it's made from the parts of the pork that has to be hand picked from the bone because the machine can only get so much off. It's still real good quality (nothing gross like hearts, tongues, snouts and stuff like that), I actually found this out from a documentary. Great to hear from all of you and have a walk down memory lane, as I grew up on a farm and ate most of what ya'll have talked about. Except for grits (YUCK). Grits to me means: Girls Raised In The South! Yee, Haw!!!

Old 06-08-2007, 04:13 AM

I'm with you on the grits. Give those to the tourists. ;-)

And, yep, I've had cracklin' bread, and tenderloin that came from the farmer who raised the hog (that's hard to get these days).

Old 06-10-2007, 09:58 PM

5,985 posts, read 3,643,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty cat View Post
Hi guys and gals, I have some catchin up to do so here goes. One of the best places to get homemade fried chicken is the state park in Crossville, they also have the best coleslaw and cold ham, shoot all of there food is homemade and so good it'll make your tongue smack your brains out. One of the best catfish restaurants that I've been to in a while is called Ragland Bottom and it's between Smithville and Sparta(you can also get there from Cookeville) just take the Smithville exit off of I-40 and keep going several miles after you cross over the river. They also have great hushpuppies, one other ingredient that alot of southerners put in their hp's is chopped onions. Yum, yum. Another southern food that I havn't seen listed here is cracklin bread and home fried tenderloins. As for Spam, it's made from the parts of the pork that has to be hand picked from the bone because the machine can only get so much off. It's still real good quality (nothing gross like hearts, tongues, snouts and stuff like that), I actually found this out from a documentary. Great to hear from all of you and have a walk down memory lane, as I grew up on a farm and ate most of what ya'll have talked about. Except for grits (YUCK). Grits to me means: Girls Raised In The South! Yee, Haw!!!
Kitty Cat, you are a great source of information. I thought Spam came from the spamelope, a hooved African animal.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:38 AM

13,905 posts, read 2,919,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Kitty Cat, you are a great source of information. I thought Spam came from the spamelope, a hooved African animal.
Hey! Uh! Ridge!! I've been reading all of the interesting posts on here tonight after I finished mine and I think maybe the air might have been just a leeetle bit too thin for you up on the Plateau there buddy??????????????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or