U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 09:21 AM

4,939 posts, read 4,237,738 times

Advertisements

Why in the world would anybody want to eat something that is poisonous and requires all that repeated cooking and rinsing? Does it taste good? I think I'll stick to spinach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 11:07 AM

821 posts, read 1,761,565 times
Shadow, that's a good question
but it's was more of a poor person's thing, the poke is free, it grows wild
if you eat too much, just give you the belly cramps and maybe the runs for the day, but older people thought everyone could use a good cleaning out once in a while

Old 02-03-2009, 03:01 PM

20,042 posts, read 20,548,032 times
I've eaten it and know lots of folks that do. I prefer frying the stalks of small shoots to eating the leaves. I gather it for my neighbors as it grows in the pasture. Never known anyone to get sick from it. As with many things it depends on how much of it you eat.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:25 AM

3 posts, read 9,554 times
Douglas Lake is not clean. Cherokee Lake is very clean and you would have no problem eating fish from there. I am leary of any kind of fish!

Old 02-20-2009, 10:52 AM

52 posts, read 151,641 times
Things I think of when looking at TN food.

Memphis BBQ
Chicken Fried Steak
Fried Potatoes
Tater Hash
Soup Beans
Biscuits
Cornbread
Apple Butter
Cobbler (peach, blackberry)
Greens
Friend Chicken
Sausage Gravy
Grits
Kilt/Withered Lettuce (the is a great way to ruin something healthy! You fry up some bacon and take some fresh garden lettuce cut up with some fresh garden green onions and pour the hot bacon grease over it for a delicious side item that's horribly unhealthy! MMMM it's good especially fresh )

Those are a few Tennessee Toe Jam is a company that makes some good preserves (including apple butter) you can find it in most general type stores/markets.

I don't know if Tennessee has anything that's really unique to the area, but traditional southern cooking is a plenty and some may like the Tennessee style of the classics more so than if they were in a different part of the south.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:07 PM

6,486 posts, read 13,797,895 times
Oh my gosh, I LOVE kilt lettuce. That with some soup beans, cornbread and some peach tea. Mmmm.

The way my family's always made kilt though is to cut up the lettuce and onions (thin), then fry the bacon in small squares. Remove the bacon and add vinegar and a little sugar to the grease. Heat it up real quick, then add it to the lettuce and throw the bacon on top.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frbenson View Post
I remember, years ago, eating at a family-style catfish restaurant in...or around...Springfield, Tn. There were huge bowls of fried catfish, hush puppies, cole slaw, mashed potatoes, green beans, collard greens, fried corn, fried okra, biscuits, and pitchers of sweet iced-tea. When a bowl was emptied, it was replaced with another, full-up...an unending banquet of the best food I've ever eaten. I've been working overseas for a number of years, but will be returning back home to Tennessee this summer. Are there any readers who might have an idea of the restaurant I'm referring to? Or of a similar one, anywhere from Nashville, east to the Crossville area. (During my visits home, I've had delicious catfish meals at Cracker Barrell but, as good as they were, they don't compare to that "to-die-for meal" I had at that catfish restaurant.) I'd sure love to re-create that dining experience at least once before I die!
I live in Springfield right down the street from the restaurant. Catfish House

Old 02-28-2009, 07:39 PM

185 posts, read 619,296 times
If it's the one i'm thinking about the name was PJ's. The best catfish anywhere. Unfortunely PJ's wife died of cancer and he killed himself a few weeks later. That was about 20 years (or more) ago and I still haven't found any place that serves good food like he did. ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or