U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 02:23 PM

6,486 posts, read 13,783,847 times

Advertisements

mmm, moon pies.

Back where I'm from originally (Tricities) we always canned everything and ate on it all winter. Tomatoes (including green), all beans, corn, squash, beets, etc. Traditional east TN food is very much vegetable-based as meat wasn't often available back in the day.

Greens (we called 'em collards), onions (often eaten alone, or with soup beans), etc.

As for gravies -- woohoo! I've had sausage gravy, brown gravy, red-eye gravy (coffee?? ew -- always seen it just made from grease), and squirrel gravy.

My grandfather (pappaw) used to eat possums and groundhogs. Swear to God -- they were the nastiest things in the world, so greasy. Ugh.

We had our own dairy so had a fresh supply of beef all the time -- that's probably why I detest steak these days.

I would have to say, though, that east TN (at least northeast)'s most famous food is chicken and dumplings. Mmmm!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2007, 02:32 PM

22,533 posts, read 46,075,513 times
You know, my husband was born in Chicago and lived most of his life in Fort Myers, Florida, but he makes the best fried chicken, biscuits and gravy and chicken and dumplings I have ever tasted.

I brought the biscuits and gravy into work one day and the native Tennesseans ALSO declared it the best they ever had. Isn't that just weird? He just has a knack for Southern cooking!

Old 04-06-2007, 02:58 PM

6,290 posts, read 20,550,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
You know, my husband was born in Chicago and lived most of his life in Fort Myers, Florida, but he makes the best fried chicken, biscuits and gravy and chicken and dumplings I have ever tasted.
Oh, yeah? Well, I guess we'll just have to come over for a fried chicken dinner (blackberry cobbler too?) and see for ourselves!

;-)

Actually, my mom is a southern cook and she does alright herself.

Old 04-06-2007, 03:33 PM

22,533 posts, read 46,075,513 times
Absolutely! But you bring the cobbler, no one in this house has attempted that one!

I'm sure your mama is a great cook. It's just that I hadn't realized it, until a couple of hours ago, that my husband's specialties are southern food. He's been cooking them for years. Very odd, but very good. On the other hand, I'm not as skinny as when I first met him!

Old 04-06-2007, 03:52 PM

It sort of funny, I love fruit pies of any kind. When I was a kid and had a birthday, mom would fix anything I wanted on my birthday. I usually asked for steak for the main course, but instead of a cake for dessert . . . I would ask for a cobbler (peach, apple, blackberry, cherry).

Old 04-06-2007, 03:55 PM

117 posts, read 432,940 times
Ok, well I have decided When I visit again in June that my mother and I are going to come visit all of you so we can get a "taste" of some excellent southern cooking!

Old 04-06-2007, 04:37 PM

11,604 posts, read 31,777,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen1972 View Post
Ok, well I have decided When I visit again in June that my mother and I are going to come visit all of you so we can get a "taste" of some excellent southern cooking!
Great idea! I think hiknapster's husband should bring the fried chicken and biscuits, jabogitlu should bring the veggies (I love green beans and squash), alleycat should bring the blackberry cobbler, and I'll bring the plates.

Old 04-06-2007, 04:40 PM

11,604 posts, read 31,777,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frbenson View Post
I remember, years ago, eating at a family-style catfish restaurant in...or around...Springfield, Tn. There were huge bowls of fried catfish, hush puppies, cole slaw, mashed potatoes, green beans, collard greens, fried corn, fried okra, biscuits, and pitchers of sweet iced-tea. When a bowl was emptied, it was replaced with another, full-up...an unending banquet of the best food I've ever eaten. I've been working overseas for a number of years, but will be returning back home to Tennessee this summer. Are there any readers who might have an idea of the restaurant I'm referring to? Or of a similar one, anywhere from Nashville, east to the Crossville area. (During my visits home, I've had delicious catfish meals at Cracker Barrell but, as good as they were, they don't compare to that "to-die-for meal" I had at that catfish restaurant.) I'd sure love to re-create that dining experience at least once before I die!
There's a place on Center Hill Lake that has delicious catfish which they catch and clean right there. It's a floating restaurant that's right ON the lake. It's called the Cookeville Boat Dock, but it's not actually in Cookeville. It has a Baxter address. Anyway, it's been a while since I've been there, but they always had delicious FRESH catfish, hushpuppies, cole slaw, you know, stuff that I would want for my last meal before going to the electric chair.

Old 04-06-2007, 05:37 PM

13,905 posts, read 2,916,821 times
I wanted to ask about "Sweet Tea". I had heard about it so much that it was first on my list of things to try while I was visiting TN. I loved it and ended up drinking it every chance I got. We have "Iced Tea" up here both sweetened and unsweetened but it's not the same. Can someone tell me what the difference is? Is it just sweetened with honey or is there another difference. I thought I could taste honey but I'm not sure. Anyway it lived up to it's reputation. I'm not a big Iced Tea fan so it surprised me

Old 04-06-2007, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcountrygirl View Post
I wanted to ask about "Sweet Tea". I had heard about it so much that it was first on my list of things to try while I was visiting TN. I loved it and ended up drinking it every chance I got. We have "Iced Tea" up here both sweetened and unsweetened but it's not the same. Can someone tell me what the difference is? Is it just sweetened with honey or is there another difference. I thought I could taste honey but I'm not sure. Anyway it lived up to it's reputation. I'm not a big Iced Tea fan so it surprised me
No, honey is not usually used. The only thing I can think of offhand is the tea there is not brewed strong enough. Tea here is usually poured when it's hot, the ice diluted it. Or maybe they wait until the tea is cold to pour it; in that case the tea would be too strong. Or it could be that it's not allowed to steep enough there.

The brand shouldn't make any difference. I usually used Lipton, but I've used Tetley's and even store brands.

Believe it or not, I can make pretty good iced tea using a coffee maker when I'm lazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or