U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 01:44 PM

7,281 posts, read 18,705,867 times

Advertisements

Inspections are not required here in East TN but I think Memphis and maybe Nashville have inspections????

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDad View Post
short lines at DMV will be a welcome site! In defense of Florida, they did start allowing renewals of tags & drivers licenses online which cuts the wait down to zero but you pay an extra $5 (I think) more for the convenience. You'd think they'd charge less or at least the same because you saved them money too by not clogging up the lines! Oh well, I'm just glad they got rid of the vehicle inspections down here. Are they required in TN?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2007, 01:49 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,814,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
I apologize for not clarifying that the last time I renewed a tag in Palm Beach County was over 10 years ago, so things may have changed that I am not aware of, sorry, didn't mean to offend.
further south of PB you will wait...for a long time....if you go in person. Most of us avoid that by going online now

Old 04-06-2007, 02:45 PM

2,227 posts, read 7,424,310 times
my wife renewed in like 10 mins in c fla

Old 04-06-2007, 03:27 PM

604 posts, read 2,512,830 times
[quote=Godsdove;544614]TDOT? Is there a list of locations for those? We are moving to Oak Ridge.[/QUOTE

You might have to go to the DMV in Clinton, next town over. I'm not sure. Here's the link I used:

http://www.dmv.org/tn-tennessee/depa...r-vehicles.php

Check for Anderson County.

After spending hours in CT's DMV for very simple transactions, TN's was wonderful. I think the whole thing took half an hour and the people working there were.....friendly!

I swear, it's a requirement up north if you want to work for DMV to be able to shoot death rays out of your eyes.

Old 04-06-2007, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I have a license plate question. I don't remember what happened when I moved to my current state to know the procedure.

When I move to TN and register my car, what happens to my MD license plates? Should I go to Motor Vehicles with a screw driver and remove the plates in the parking lot because TN Motor Vehicle will just take them from me when I get my TN plates and send them to MD? Or does TN take them, throw them out and just notify MD? Or, am I responsible for getting my Maryland plates back to MD?

Also, if I'm getting TN plates for the first time, am I able to get one of the special plates? Do I have to wait for them beyond the 30 day period I have as a newcomer, to register my car in TN? I don't want any personalization of any kind.

Any help would be appreciated.
Double check and make sure you don't have to mail your plates back to MD. When we moved from CT to GA, we had no idea we had to do that. On moving back to CT years later, we got nailed with about $800 in town taxes because DMV never received the plates. Live and learn. Ka-ching!

You can go to DMV anytime once you move in and have some kind of proof of residency (PO change of address, utility bill). And you can scoop up a specialty plate on the spot. I got the wildlife one. Great bear.

Old 04-06-2007, 03:51 PM

22,533 posts, read 46,075,513 times
Yikes! We never mailed back the Florida plates. Quite frankly, they may be gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-06-2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Yikes! We never mailed back the Florida plates. Quite frankly, they may be gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It may not be a requirement in FL. GA didn't want the plates back. But it's something I always check on now. And if they are mailed back, I get a receipt.

Old 04-06-2007, 04:26 PM

11,604 posts, read 31,777,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkey View Post
Double check and make sure you don't have to mail your plates back to MD. When we moved from CT to GA, we had no idea we had to do that. On moving back to CT years later, we got nailed with about $800 in town taxes because DMV never received the plates. Live and learn. Ka-ching!
Egads, that's ridiculous! Why on earth would they want the plates back? Or is it just another excuse to squeeze a few dollars out of people?

hiknapster, we never sent back our Florida tags, either. And when my parents made the huge mistake of moving back to Florida, nothing was ever said to them about it. But I suppose if you don't ever plan on moving back to Florida, it shouldn't be an issue. I hope.

Old 04-06-2007, 04:34 PM

22,533 posts, read 46,075,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Egads, that's ridiculous! Why on earth would they want the plates back? Or is it just another excuse to squeeze a few dollars out of people?

hiknapster, we never sent back our Florida tags, either. And when my parents made the huge mistake of moving back to Florida, nothing was ever said to them about it. But I suppose if you don't ever plan on moving back to Florida, it shouldn't be an issue. I hope.
True. If I ever completely lose my mind and decide to move to Florida, well, you can come on over and hit me in the head with my Florida plates. Hopefully that will knock some sense back into me.

Old 04-06-2007, 04:42 PM

11,604 posts, read 31,777,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
True. If I ever completely lose my mind and decide to move to Florida, well, you can come on over and hit me in the head with my Florida plates. Hopefully that will knock some sense back into me.
That's probably the best post I've seen all day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or