U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 07:16 AM

33,949 posts, read 32,397,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeritasMatters View Post
Pardon my ignorance here(native Californian and all that), but if you're put up in interim housing for 60 days, so don't have rent or utilities statements to prove residence when trying to obtain TN license and plates, are there alternatives?

My husband has already secured a p.o. box;opened checking and credit union accounts; but was told we have to have other statments to "prove residency" -- even though he is now a perm employee in Oak Ridge and working there.

Thanks alot! This forum has been a life-saver for us on so many levels. Hubby is checking out housing today in Kingston with realtor -- I'm excited to see what he learns as I'm holding down the fort here til next month.
If they don't consider you a resident yet because of their proof requirements, then isn't it okay to continue to drive around with your California plates and insurance beyond the 30 days? You know, your 30 day count would start when you got your permanent new address. What would happen though if your California plates expire before you have the residency proof? I don't know if the current insurer of your vehicle has offices in Tennessee (like State Farm, for example, has offices all over) but they might be a good person to ask. I'm thinking your voter registration is also left hanging for the same reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2007, 08:19 AM

75 posts, read 276,691 times
Thanks, Laura for your comments. Had not thought about checking with our current insurance agent (Allstate, or State Farm). We want to get our CA plates and license removed ASAP is the issue, not insurance, etc or legal issues. Just got our new re-newal for one of our cars yesterday- 220 bucks! And, we're only in CA for 3 more weeks! Then, I'm assuming we have to re-register the cars in TN.

Old 04-11-2007, 09:57 AM

4,919 posts, read 4,222,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
You do have to pay higher fees when you first register your car in Tennessee. But after that first time it drops to the flat $24/year (for most counties).
Doesn't anyone know how much more it is to transfer your title for newcomers? I have been trying to find this online and the DMV site doesn't say the fees. I have heard that in some states it is several hundred dollars to get a title for that state.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:17 AM

11,608 posts, read 31,789,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Doesn't anyone know how much more it is to transfer your title for newcomers? I have been trying to find this online and the DMV site doesn't say the fees. I have heard that in some states it is several hundred dollars to get a title for that state.
I'm afraid you're going to have to call the county clerk's office of the county you're moving to in Tennessee. The fees vary from county to county.

In Knox County, you pay $70.50 to transfer your car's title to a Tennessee title. After that it's something like $60 annually because of that insane $36 "privilege tax" that we pay because we're privileged to register our cars in Knox County. Most counties in Tennessee pay just $24.

This link will give you the addresses and phone numbers of every county clerk office in the state:

http://www.tennessee.gov/revenue/vehicle/countyclerks.htm (broken link)

Old 04-11-2007, 03:05 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,222,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I'm afraid you're going to have to call the county clerk's office of the county you're moving to in Tennessee. The fees vary from county to county.

In Knox County, you pay $70.50 to transfer your car's title to a Tennessee title. After that it's something like $60 annually because of that insane $36 "privilege tax" that we pay because we're privileged to register our cars in Knox County. Most counties in Tennessee pay just $24.

This link will give you the addresses and phone numbers of every county clerk office in the state:

http://www.tennessee.gov/revenue/vehicle/countyclerks.htm (broken link)

Thanks! $70 I can do.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:35 AM

75 posts, read 276,691 times
Default CA to TN Title (car) Transfer?

So, we received our DMV bill for one of our cars, 220 dollars -- but the good news is that it's not due until middle of June. If I understand the previous couple of posts, when we do some kind of transfer(guessing simply means that we're registering our car as being owned now in TN) for which there is a fee($70 or so)? Additionally, we pay to register the car for the next year, at TN rates? Do I have this right? Guess I need to check w/DMV here in CA as to any notification re: unpaid bill (since we won't be living here beyond 10 May). Am I clear on this?? THANKS! (While I'm at it, any Hardin Valley residents/opinions on this board? Hubby says several nice homes in this area, close to both Oak Ridge and Knoxville, but sort of off to itself.)

Old 04-12-2007, 09:36 AM

351 posts, read 857,922 times
Default Tags in Oak Ridge for Godsdove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsdove View Post
TDOT? Is there a list of locations for those? We are moving to Oak Ridge.
You go to the office on Emory Valley Road in Oak Ridge - looks like it use to be part of an old school. Took me about 15 minutes and mine was complicated thanks to the stupid state of Mississippi.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:18 AM

119 posts, read 344,046 times
Thanks so much inave!!! Hopefully ours won't be too complicated.

Old 04-17-2007, 12:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,686 times
Default not to worry

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Yikes! We never mailed back the Florida plates. Quite frankly, they may be gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
not to worry you throw plates away not send back
my daughter lives there and when you buy another vehicle you dont transfer plate you have to buy a new one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or