U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 02:23 PM

14,506 posts, read 23,184,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
5 . Knoxville, Tenn.

Population: 662,000
Job Growth: 1.6%
Income Growth: 2.6%
Big Employers: U.S. Department of Energy, Covenant Health, University of Tennessee, Wal-Mart Stores (nyse: WMT - news - people ), St. Mary's Health System.

The area is home to 11 colleges that spit out 8,000 graduates a year. Last year food-service distributor Sysco (nyse: SYY - news - people ) announced plans to invest $40 million and hire 300 people for a new complex. One draw: business costs that are 14% below the national average.

Notice that seems to be the big thing, that it costs less to do business. This doesn't necessarily mean it is a great place to find a good paying job.
I knew about the hospitals. Costs less- for sure. Thats why Bank of America built their $3 million call center here- they calculated 300% turnover, which saves them scads on health insurance. Also the right to work issue again. (just like Florida)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2007, 02:52 PM

22,533 posts, read 46,075,513 times
I find it a little scary that they put Walmart on the list of places to work!

On the other hand, if you are in the medical field, it probably would be a great place to work. I can also say that Knoxville's health care runs circles around Florida's.

I had the same problems for over seven years, went to several doctors in Florida and no one could figure it out. I walked into a FREE CLINIC in Knoxville and the doctor correctly diagnosed me in seconds.

But getting back to the original topic...

Notice that they also tout all those college graduates. Forbes is right that Knoxville is a great place for a company to set up shop. You have all of those grads fighting for jobs.

Old 04-08-2007, 03:10 PM

6,290 posts, read 20,550,416 times
We have a joke here in Nashville.

What does a UT grad call a Vanderbilt grad?

A: Boss.

Just teasing. I like UT. I've been one of their football fans since I was a toddler. I almost went to school there.

Old 04-08-2007, 05:17 PM

56 posts, read 206,318 times
KNoxville 662000 pop? I think that is wrong

Nevermind there going by metropolitan statistical areas

Old 04-08-2007, 05:35 PM

I just want to add that the Free Clinic was not totally free, just in case someone thinks I'm a freeloader. It is for working people that do not have insurance, and I ended up paying about $700 for the visit and subsequent test. Of course, I now have health insurance for all the work that has to be done!

But it is nice that there is someplace that people can go when they have no insurance. Also, if I had not gotten that job, the hospital and doctors would have charged me half price and I could make payments, which is just wonderful.

I've been accused of being a whiner with personal problems and I just wanted to clear that up.

Sorry to hijack the thread!

Old 04-08-2007, 06:03 PM

I find it a little scary that they put Walmart on the list of places to work!

Exactly. more media spin. Walmart of course builds huge complexes- so does Lowes- does anyone with an MBA who spent 6 figures on their education want a job there. Lol- I highly doubt it. Hope people realize how skewed those stats are. Hiknapster- you are not a whiner ---I appreciate the truth!

sunny.

Old 04-08-2007, 06:26 PM

And that bit about Sysco, a food distributor, bringing in 300 jobs doesn't seem THAT promising. Maybe they are great to work for, but I wonder if food distribution pays that well.

I know several UT graduates and they all tell me that they take something less than what they were educated to do or they move away.

That's not whining. That's the truth.

Old 04-08-2007, 06:47 PM

6,290 posts, read 20,550,416 times
I have stock in Sysco. I hope they don't pay TOO well.

;-) (just kidding)

Old 04-08-2007, 06:56 PM

Lightbulb yes-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
And that bit about Sysco, a food distributor, bringing in 300 jobs doesn't seem THAT promising. Maybe they are great to work for, but I wonder if food distribution pays that well.

I know several UT graduates and they all tell me that they take something less than what they were educated to do or they move away.

That's not whining. That's the truth.
The driver at Johnson City Honda- (drives people home when your car is repaired) (he was a UT grad) makes 11.00 an hour. And he considers this his job in "the big city"

sunny

Old 04-08-2007, 07:22 PM

I personally know three UT grads. One was a history major. He now installs cable. One was a communications major and she does telemarketing. The last is a communications major and he is a door-to-door salesman.

All were born and raised in Tennessee, and ALL said to get a better job they would have to move away.

Now, someone coming from out of state, what would THEIR chances be?

But to START a business here, yeah, I think this would be a great place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or