Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2007, 07:54 AM

26 posts, read 101,708 times

Advertisements

, Any info about "leak" test, permits ,will be apreciated, (where i need to go or call) .anything about basements, thank you! ( Benton.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 08:13 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
The local health department would probably be the place to call; possibly the county engineer. I used to deal with this working as an engineer (I've done more than a few perk tests when I was younger), but it's been many years since I have.

I'm not sure what you're asking about basements. Are you talking about building one (new construction) or what you should look out for in an existing house?

Old 04-07-2007, 09:10 AM

1,323 posts, read 4,699,102 times
Default Perk Tests

I also have questions related to this thread.

Does the seller of a lot or land in Tennessee have to tell you if the lot or land he is selling has NOT passed a perk tesk? (Not sure if I spelled it correctly - perk or perc?)

Is the seller required to have a perk tesk done if he is selling lots or land for homes to be built?

Are Realtors required to inform potential buyers if a lot or land has not passed a perk test?

This is all new to me, so any information you can provide will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:50 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
It's actually "perc".

When I worked for a firm that did surveying, we did a perc test on every new subdivision lot. We did not do one on acreage land.

I'm not sure what the legalities are anymore. I suspect that a perc test is required by most counties for subdivision lots. Subdivisions have to go through several approvals before they can be registered. Now that I think of it, it seems like the health department had to sign off on a subdivision plat.

Old 05-12-2007, 10:05 PM

28 posts, read 197,149 times
Default Septic System Contacts

Chattanooga Environmental Field Office
540 McCallie Avenue, Suite 550- State Office Bldg, Chattanooga, TN 37402 | Phone: (423) 634-5745 | FAX: (423) 634-6389

The above address is where you need to take all your questions regarding septic tanks...

Counties served:
Bledsoe Bradley Grundy
Hamilton Marion McMinn
Meigs Polk Rhea
Sequatchie

Directions to Chattanooga Field Office :

From Interstate 24 take US-27 North to Exit 1A. Turn right on M.L. King Boulevard. Travel through five (5) traffic lights then turn left on Houston Street. Go up the hill to a 3-way stop. Turn right at that intersection and take an immediate left into the State Office Building parking lot.

Old 05-13-2007, 07:54 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,096,716 times
We just bought 8 acres in a subdivision and a perc test wasn't done because there were too many areas the home could be set on but on smaller lots in the subdivision, they were all done.

And realtors may not tell you unless you ask. Once you ask though, they'll be sure to find out for you because they want to make a sale. At least our realtor did. We asked many questions and she got every answer for us.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:42 AM

15,205 posts, read 12,066,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
We just bought 8 acres in a subdivision and a perc test wasn't done because there were too many areas the home could be set on but on smaller lots in the subdivision, they were all done.

And realtors may not tell you unless you ask. Once you ask though, they'll be sure to find out for you because they want to make a sale. At least our realtor did. We asked many questions and she got every answer for us.
Don't believe it. My realtor was over at Easter and said a friend has ~ 25 acres and could not find "ANY" area that would perc. She said she could not believe it. More stringent percs were enforced a year ago or so.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:54 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,096,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Don't believe it. My realtor was over at Easter and said a friend has ~ 25 acres and could not find "ANY" area that would perc. She said she could not believe it. More stringent percs were enforced a year ago or so.
Subdivisions are different than other property. In order to make a subdivision, each lot has to be perced before a Plat can even be made it's just the larger lots that were not done. We verified with the health dept.

Old 05-13-2007, 12:12 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,066,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
Subdivisions are different than other property. In order to make a subdivision, each lot has to be perced before a Plat can even be made it's just the larger lots that were not done. We verified with the health dept.
My point is; I would not buy any property with out a perc test near where I would build a house... I also would not wait tooooo long to build in case the requirements change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee