U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 06:55 AM

52 posts, read 252,315 times

Advertisements

Stick built houses are MORE expensive.

Trusses were designed to use less wood and labor in building the house. I would take a good stick built house over a trussed house any day. The only advantage to a trussed house is you can get longer free spans if you use floor trusses. My house now has floor trusses for the free span in the basement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 07:07 AM

197 posts, read 935,087 times
Thanks everybody for the info. I agree that a stick house should be a better option if build by a reputable and reliable builder. The houses I'm looking at East Knox Co. - Carter Area - appears to be quality homes and not just "cheap built", the builder is all over Knoxville area and has houses in the $500K in the West part of town....this helps in case something goes wrong and the builder has a name to care for....

Old 12-01-2007, 09:42 PM

17 posts, read 60,276 times
Talking Hello All

I live in Clarksville and had my home built over 2yrs ago by a local builder. I have a wonderful home that is well built and sturdy...it did not cost me an arm and a leg but it was a good bit more than 70K. Hazelwood is a great family neighborhood located close to Exit 1 on interstate 24. Be sure you have a buyers agent! If you would like to learn more about my experience email me! Stick built trusses and engineered trusses are both good just make sure the builder uses tornado clips!

Old 12-02-2007, 12:11 AM

6,290 posts, read 20,565,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltwins93 View Post
I live in Clarksville and had my home built over 2yrs ago by a local builder. I have a wonderful home that is well built and sturdy...it did not cost me an arm and a leg but it was a good bit more than 70K. Hazelwood is a great family neighborhood located close to Exit 1 on interstate 24. Be sure you have a buyers agent! If you would like to learn more about my experience email me! Stick built trusses and engineered trusses are both good just make sure the builder uses tornado clips!
Hi, from an old Clarksville boy . . . who sometimes misses his hometown. I'm glad you've enjoy your home in Clarksville.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:13 AM

4,728 posts, read 8,903,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
Slightly off-topic. A few things to watch out for with trusses: One is if the builder is fabricating the trusses himself (there is a little more to making a truss that putting lumber together and and hammering on a nail plate). The other thing is how the trusses are handled on the jobsite. Trusses have to be handled in the correct manner. Probably the worse thing I see when trusses are used is that they are placed on two-foot centers and they don't use a thick enough decking. You can stand back from some houses and see a bow from truss to truss.
This is probably the single most important fact about truss built vs. stick built. A lot of builders try to do their own trusses to save even more money on the build, but do not have a good handle on the trigonometry of the truss.

If you do truss, which does give you the advantage of fewer support columns and interior load-bearing walls, be sure you are getting manufactured trusses.

Stick built gives you the opportunity to use the space, particularly in an attic area, that the trussed roofline would eat up.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:59 AM

23,665 posts, read 22,004,356 times
Looked all over the Internet on Truss Free Roof. I don't see any thing. From my little knowledge of building you would have too have some sort of truss too support the underlayment of the roof or floors. From looking at several log home builders they make a self supporting panel system that lays on top of the ridge pole and perlins.....still their has too be some sort of engineered support for the roof or floor.Per building code for the area your building......

Old 12-03-2007, 12:46 PM

2,349 posts, read 9,503,042 times
Hmmm, this is the funniest thread lol My home is "stick built" if I understand the term: built largely on-site etc... I have NO trusses in my attic with a 7:12 pitch but the home I was raised in was a 4:12 w/trusses (rancher). My "trussless" home has 6" rafters for the roof, 8" beams over the ceilings and the floor joists are 10" with a load bearing wall running down the middle of the home. I think we are running on 16" centers so no sag between support beams. It's an old '47 model that was built pretty well. This must be a regional thing as people come here to TN and are freaked out because most of our homes have crawl spaces and not slabs. Looks like ppl will be searching attics for trusses too

IMHO Stick built with a decent pitch IS the way to go so you can later utilize the space for a play area or whatnot, mine is stricly for storing junk and supplying mice with a nice winter home though

Old 12-03-2007, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
Looked all over the Internet on Truss Free Roof. I don't see any thing. From my little knowledge of building you would have too have some sort of truss too support the underlayment of the roof or floors. From looking at several log home builders they make a self supporting panel system that lays on top of the ridge pole and perlins.....still their has too be some sort of engineered support for the roof or floor.Per building code for the area your building......
You've lost me. What's the question?

I just happen to work for one of the top structural engineering firms in the country.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:04 PM

23,665 posts, read 22,004,356 times
If you have a Cape Cod Home yes theirs no visible truss, But the term truss is what goes from the ridge beam too the exterior walls. Some thing has too be their too support the roof deck and the shingles... Now you have a "web truss" like most attics you can't stand up in because the "web truss" is in the way. Just can't lay plywood or tongue & groove and slap shingles over it with out some support underneath too carry the weight.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:17 PM

First, what you are talking about are not trusses, those are rafters. That was the way most homes was constructed until trusses came along. Rafters were typically 2x's spaced at 16" on-center (unless it was a timber frame, or some other special type of construction).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee