U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 03:03 PM

5,485 posts, read 8,910,503 times
I've never heard anything like that. I would imagine it would be more or less unenforceable in NE TN because our economic areas spill from one state to another... surely to God they wouldn't stop someone for buying wine in Virginia then driving back home to TN in Bristol? haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 10:03 PM

21,626 posts, read 30,640,295 times
I found it, but it was cigarettes!

“If Revenue agents believe that an individual is transporting more than two cartons of cigarettes into Tennessee, the vehicle carrying the cigarettes will be stopped and searched,” Commissioner Farr said. “If more than two cartons are found, the cigarettes will be seized and agents have the discretion to make arrests and seize the vehicle.

Smokers beware: Revenue Department to monitor out-of-state sales : State and Regional News : Knoxville News Sentinel

But while searching for this I came across something that says that they want to make transporting alcohol over the state line into a felony violation. That was in February and I don't know what they decided, but if they can stop you for cigarettes then alcohol can't be far behind.

Tennessee has a long history of revenuers chasing their money.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:04 PM

5,485 posts, read 8,910,503 times
Indeed they do. I'll be sure to not happen to be visiting Bristol Virginia, buy three cartons of cigarettes then accidentally swerve a few inches to the left on State Street! Egads, I would be attacked viciously!!!

Old 05-19-2009, 09:25 AM

4,477 posts, read 8,107,204 times
When we lived in Martin, Weakley and essentially all the surrounding counties were beer-only. Going to Kentucky to buy a simple bottle of wine had nothing to do with trying to dodge taxes; it was just that the state line was about 15 minutes away and the nearest comprehensive liquor store in-state was 45 minutes away in Jackson.

We would have gladly paid TN sales tax on what we bought in KY because it still would have been cheaper than gas for the drive to Jackson.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:33 AM

76 posts, read 103,312 times
Default Almost a neighbor...

Beachmouse, pardon me for hijacking this thread, but I just noticed your location says you're in Niceville, FL! I'm 'just down the road a piece' in Navarre. Small world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
When we lived in Martin, Weakley and essentially all the surrounding counties were beer-only. Going to Kentucky to buy a simple bottle of wine had nothing to do with trying to dodge taxes; it was just that the state line was about 15 minutes away and the nearest comprehensive liquor store in-state was 45 minutes away in Jackson.

We would have gladly paid TN sales tax on what we bought in KY because it still would have been cheaper than gas for the drive to Jackson.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:03 PM

Small world indeed.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:29 PM

11,130 posts, read 8,420,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
"On February 24th, 2009, Tennessee’s Attorney General issued Opinion No. 09-15, which concluded that consumers may not legally carry any amount of wine on their person into Tennessee. This ruling, prohibiting consumers from carrying wine into Tennessee, means that the federal on-site provision does not apply to consumers in Tennessee. Wineries are therefore prohibited from making shipments via common carrier to Tennessee consumers under any circumstance. All wine must enter Tennessee through the 3-tier system without exception."

from shipcompliant.com
Tennessee’s AG Rules Consumers May Not Bring Wine into Tennessee, Federal On-Site Provision No Longer Applies - ShipCompliant
JMT, thanks for the link, as this was something I wasn't aware of and I probably should. Being I'm producing a fair amount of hard ciders ranging from 8% to an apple wine upwards in the neighborhood of 20%, I probably need to review a few of the latest revisions of the law.

As far as folks bringing wine into Tennessee, I honestly find that rather laughable but if you wish to follow the letter of law, do not do it. Me... I might be inclined to do otherwise, especially if the bottles have no labels or are in gallon type jugs. Being Tennessee is one of the leading wine producing states just behind California and New York, I find it a little humorous that folks would be bringing wine here. Unless of course it is something that someone personally brewed themselves, in which case, I hope it doesn't have a label, because then it can be just 'juice'.

I know I have some aged cider of 9% that I'm dying to uncork this 4th of July. My test bottle was fabulous at 3 months, so now that it is mellowed from green, I can't wait.

Cheers!

Old 05-22-2009, 05:19 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,049,536 times
Talking sippin' cider through a straw...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
JMT, thanks for the link, as this was something I wasn't aware of and I probably should. Being I'm producing a fair amount of hard ciders ranging from 8% to an apple wine upwards in the neighborhood of 20%, I probably need to review a few of the latest revisions of the law.

As far as folks bringing wine into Tennessee, I honestly find that rather laughable but if you wish to follow the letter of law, do not do it. Me... I might be inclined to do otherwise, especially if the bottles have no labels or are in gallon type jugs. Being Tennessee is one of the leading wine producing states just behind California and New York, I find it a little humorous that folks would be bringing wine here. Unless of course it is something that someone personally brewed themselves, in which case, I hope it doesn't have a label, because then it can be just 'juice'.

I know I have some aged cider of 9% that I'm dying to uncork this 4th of July. My test bottle was fabulous at 3 months, so now that it is mellowed from green, I can't wait.

Cheers!
surely it is not that swill from monteagle. if you drank that you would have to lick a dog's as_ to get the taste out of your mouth! it's horrible. where in tn can you get decent cherry cider? some friends and i were coming back from baltimore and washington about two years ago, and we stopped somewhere in extreme eastern tn and bought cherry cider---i just can't remember exactly where. we also bought a gallon of it in the blueridge mountains. it was that gallon that gave most of the riders the "squirts." well, anyway, if any know. another question: has the blight on the conifers in the smokey mountains improved over the last 6 months? i hope it is not going to kill out those beatiful trees.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:29 AM

6 posts, read 10,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post

Hey..just wondering what store you shopped at? And if there variety was pretty decent I live in Troy, and head down to Dyersburg to buy wine. I couldn't find anything closer. There is a place in Newbern but the selection is very limited.

Originally from Australia, wine country (aka bunch of boozers..ha ha kidding), I was so naive when moving here to discover the difficulty in finding such things like a good drop!

I was even wondering if there was anything like wine appreciation clubs or such around TN? Just a thought.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:38 AM

Darned if I remember where it was. We're talking 10+ years back at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee