U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2007, 08:45 PM

2 posts, read 4,362 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I, with our 6 children are considering moving to TN. We are currently looking at Hendersonville and hopefully planning a trip down there this summer. I was just wondering about their school system, available jobs(he works for the government and can transfer, but I will need something), crime and etc......I also am a little (OK, a lot) concerned about tornadoes, do they happen often and is there any notice whatsoever? With 6 children, that is my major concern. I also read about a Dam that is due to give out, what does that mean for the town of Hendersonville? If anyone has any info for me, that would be great. Thank you.
Sincerely, Kim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2007, 06:02 PM

6,290 posts, read 20,550,416 times
Six children? My, haven't you been busy. ;-)

The dam you're referring to is the Wolf Creek dam. There are maps online that show the possible flood area based on different scenarios. They began repair work and lowered the water level in January. The repairs are expected to take several years. There is some risk of the dam failing, but the risk is probably small.

As for tornadoes, Nashville has warning sirens all around town. I'm not sure whether Hendersonville does or not; but I would suspect they do. However, most of time the television news shows will give the warnings and watches long before the bad weather arrives. Having a weather warning radio is also a good idea, as well as having a plan of action that the kids are aware of, such as going to the basement, or interior hallway if you don't have a basement. Tornadoes can occur at any time, of course, but the main time they occur is a few weeks in spring and, to a lesser extent, a few weeks in the fall.

Some years tornadoes are worse than others. Should you be concerned? Yes, and take a few precautions. Should you be worried? Most of us here do not sit around worrying about tornadoes. You have to keep it in perspective; many more people die from drowning and on the highway every year than tornadoes.

I'm not sure what kind of work you do, so it's hard to comment on that. The greater Nashville area has a good economy so it shouldn't be too much of a problems finding a job either in Hendersonville, or in Nashville.

And welcome to Tennessee.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:39 PM

2 posts, read 4,362 times
Default thanks

Thank you for your input, I will pass this along to my boyfriend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or