U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 12:40 PM

22,947 posts, read 21,467,425 times

Advertisements

It takes pictures front and back to capture the plate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 02:06 PM

22,533 posts, read 46,060,389 times
I dunno!

All the cameras that I have seen only point to the front of the car. I can't figure it out! Maybe there's a hidden camera?

Old 01-09-2008, 07:57 PM

If you notice there's camera's facing both directions that go off a second or so apart, and which one's first depends on which direction you're going. The reason there's two cameras is most stop lights go both ways right?

Old 01-10-2008, 08:09 AM

33,948 posts, read 32,373,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
If you notice there's camera's facing both directions that go off a second or so apart, and which one's first depends on which direction you're going. The reason there's two cameras is most stop lights go both ways right?
In other states I think they like to take the photo of the front of the vehicle to see who's driving the car besides getting the plate on the front of the vehicle. But I suppose, if there are cameras going both ways, in Tennessee, (since cars don't have a front plate) then it's not the one looking down at the front of your car that will identify you, but the one that gets you from the rear, as you and others have said.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:23 AM

3,454 posts, read 6,435,769 times
So, how do they make sure it's the driver, not the owner of the car, who gets punished?

Or is it now that, if we loan someone our car, we not only take the chance of being liable in an accident, but also now we're responsible for them running a red light?

I understand the concept but what a PITA.

My pet peeve on red lights is the difference in the timing of yellow lights. How can they give me a ticket if one light gives you 30 seconds of yellow and the next one gives you 10 seconds of yellow?

So often I drive through thinking I have plenty of time, only to see it's red as I pass under it.

Other times I'm extra careful and wind up sitting at a light that's still yellow, with the people behind me honking angrily.

If they would make yellow light timing consistent everywhere (or give a countdown to red, like we see on the "walk-don't walk" signs so we know how much longer before the red), I think it'd be more fair if it's going to be enforced without a cop present who might be reasoned with.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:44 PM

22,533 posts, read 46,060,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
So, how do they make sure it's the driver, not the owner of the car, who gets punished?

Or is it now that, if we loan someone our car, we not only take the chance of being liable in an accident, but also now we're responsible for them running a red light?

My pet peeve on red lights is the difference in the timing of yellow lights. How can they give me a ticket if one light gives you 30 seconds of yellow and the next one gives you 10 seconds of yellow?

So often I drive through thinking I have plenty of time, only to see it's red as I pass under it.

Other times I'm extra careful and wind up sitting at a light that's still yellow, with the people behind me honking angrily.

If they would make yellow light timing consistent everywhere (or give a countdown to red, like we see on the "walk-don't walk" signs so we know how much longer before the red), I think it'd be more fair if it's going to be enforced without a cop present who might be reasoned with.
In Florida, it was like that. The yellow didn't last very long. And the cops would sit and wait.

You have to understand that I am the kind of driver that feels that going 3 mph over the speed limit is, well, going over the speed limit.

But those lights in Florida were terrifying. I'd slow way down at green lights and constantly check my rearview to see if vehicles were very close to my tail.

Clearly, they were traps, at least in Lee County. I think they made driving more HAZARDOUS.

It took me a long time to start to relax again, after I moved here.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post

Ah, well there's the rub that's caused many cities to remove the cameras. As for the yellow light thing, that would be a defense where you'd have to go there with a stopwatch and time them and if there's a disparity I'd guess you'd most likely win in court if you brought it up.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:39 AM

9,807 posts, read 12,896,672 times
Minnesota had the cameras and used them for catching people running red lights in the metro area.

After a period of time, A guy challenged the cameras in court and won.

End of the cameras.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:27 AM

6 posts, read 21,632 times
Whatever becamne of this lawsuit?

Old 04-15-2008, 08:38 AM

125 posts, read 348,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt5797 View Post
To be quite honest, the cameras are useless. The yellow light is too short and it really makes us drivers in Gallatin question whether we can safely stop or not.
While I'm not in favor of running red lights, I am in favor of safety and fair play in whatever method is employed.

Chattanooga is refunding 176 fines because of a short yellow light.

"The city of Chattanooga, Tennessee will refund $8800 in red light cameras tickets issued to motorists trapped by an illegally short yellow time."

Apparently short yellow lights are a real money maker for the camera manufacturers who typically install the cameras free for a piece of the action.

"
Short yellow times are vital to ensuring the steady flow of traffic citations for vendors like LaserCraft. Confidential documents obtained in a 2001 court trial proved that the city of San Diego, California and its red light camera vendor, now ACS, only installed red light cameras at intersections with high volumes and "Amber (yellow) phase less than 4 seconds." "

"
In 2002, a Baltimore, Maryland judge caught the city trapping motorists at signals with illegally short yellow lights. (Read court memo)"

"
Short yellows trap drivers in what is known as a "dilemma zone" where there is neither time to stop safely -- without slamming the brakes and risking a rear-end collision -- nor to proceed through the intersection before it changes to red. Red light cameras capitalize on this, with four out of every five tickets issued before the light has been red for a full second, according to a report by the California State Auditor. This suggests that most citations are issued to those surprised by a quick-changing signal light."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee