Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 09:34 AM

125 posts, read 414,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I dunno!

All the cameras that I have seen only point to the front of the car. I can't figure it out! Maybe there's a hidden camera?
It works like this. The camera is a video camera that is always running and when someone trips the red light sensor it backs up and captures the last 10 seconds or so of film.

A citation is mailed to the offender (a girl in my office got one recently) and there is a web site you can log in to with your citation number and watch yourself (or your car) run the light. In her case she turned right on red without stopping; it was very clearly visible.

Cha-ching, $50 bucks to the City of Knoxville (minus a 63% commission to camera owner Redflex; so the City only nets $18.50 per ticket, $31.50 to Redflex.)

"Drivers caught by the cameras paid $2,599,732.60 in citations in 2007. The city of Knoxville kept about 37 percent of that, with the remainder going to Redflex."

So that's a million six hundred and thirty seven thousand dollars to Redflex and 961,901 for the City of Knoxville.

There is the video loop and two still photos, one of your car and a closeup of the license plate.

If your license plate is not readable by a human reviewer you don't get a ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 03:04 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Thanks, JimLee!

Unfortunately, I found out how those red lights work because my husband got a ticket! He went through a red light at Merchants and Clinton. He said he didn't notice the red light. Well, the video clearly shows that he went through it intentionally!

I had a fit, but behind his back I thought the whole thing was hilarious! Caught on tape!

I still can't understand why there is a camera pointing right at my windshield while I sit at the exit ramp to make a left onto Asheville Highway. The video and photos of my husband were from the back.

I don't really worry about it, though, because I stop at yellow. Florida cops love to ticket at lights and I know better!

Old 04-17-2008, 11:41 AM

19 posts, read 70,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I still can't understand why there is a camera pointing right at my windshield while I sit at the exit ramp to make a left onto Asheville Highway. The video and photos of my husband were from the back.

It may be a motion sensor or camera controlling the light rather than a traffic enforcement camera. These are becoming popular because you don't have to install sensors in the pavement.

Old 04-18-2008, 04:17 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,290,327 times
I had no idea that these camera manufacturers would provide them free for a percentage! Isn't that illegal in some way or another? Unethical anyhow?

(Note to myself - find out how to manufacture red-light cameras! )

Old 04-19-2008, 06:46 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Nope, perfectly legal and the reason it's done is the city gets what they want which is revenue without cost. Contract out the camera installation,service, and processing and get money for nothing more than allowing it. Heck most places contract out DMV services and license/tax services and I'm sure trying to figure out a way to contract out court services soon. The problem is they don't have much oversight so they tend to treat you how they want and there's no recourse. As long as the city/county gets their money they really don't care...

Old 04-19-2008, 08:19 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,378,519 times
Default Red Light Cameras

Here's a new twist. Dallas, Texas officials are removing some cameras. The reason? People no longer run those red lights and the cameras aren't generating enough revenue to cover operating costs. Which leads me to believe the cameras were installed for revenue rather than safety purposes.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:32 AM

12,015 posts, read 11,290,327 times
I guess nothing is as simplistic as it seems from the outside looking in. Very ingenious though. We will probably see more and more of this type of thing. I mean, really, how can a city argue against it, especially if you think about budget cuts, etc. Whoever proposes the idea kills two birds with one stone - revenue without any type of start up or implementation costs whatsoever. Having said that, surely the city would understand the need for carefully overseeing all aspects - if for no other reason than to insure these "geese laying the golden eggs" would continue to do so. I am sure competition among these companies is fierce, so the city could pretty much "write it's own ticket" (HA!) as to setting the timing etc on these things. Perhaps it's one of those instances where it takes someone challenging the way the lights are set up to call attention to them. I would think that any city considering these cameras would do their homework and look at places with existing cameras - both the good and the bad - and learn from them. Maybe not.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:24 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times
Post News, Intersection Cameras Catch Major Red-Light Violations.

MURFREESBORO, Tenn.- After just a couple months in service, red light cameras in Murfreesboro have caught a lot of people in the act of running red lights.

"We've seen a lot of people running red lights," said Kyle Evans with Murfreesboro Police.

NewsChannel 5.com - Nashville, Tennessee - Intersection Cameras Catch Major Red-Light Violations

Old 07-25-2008, 07:19 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,319,846 times
They have had these red light camera in Kingsport for about 8 months now. They have caused a lot of rear end collisions. Now if a light with a camera turns yellow, people are slamming on their brakes which is causing the people behind them to slam into the first car.
I am wondering if these lights are trading one problem for another? Less light running (which I agree, can hopefully prevent a few major accidents) and more rear end accidents, which can be just as damaging financially and medically.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:37 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,980,366 times
I will say that in all my years and places driving, I have never seen the amount of red lights ran as I have here in Murfreesboro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee