U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 04:18 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
793 posts, read 2,517,520 times

Advertisements

I read on here somewhere, where someone had taken this online quiz to find the area that best fits your personality and personal likes and dislikes. It gives you a choice of 24 different areas around the country, but mine included Paris TN and Maryville TN - two areas that I haven't checked into - so, here I go to Realtor.com, Google Maps, etc to research yet again....

Neat quiz, though. Moderator cut: link not allowed .

blessings, Shen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 04:26 PM

11,612 posts, read 31,803,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenandoah View Post
I read on here somewhere, where someone had taken this online quiz to find the area that best fits your personality and personal likes and dislikes. It gives you a choice of 24 different areas around the country, but mine included Paris TN and Maryville TN - two areas that I haven't checked into - so, here I go to Realtor.com, Google Maps, etc to research yet again....

Neat quiz, though. It's on ****.com.

blessings, Shen
Yeah several of us on here have taken that quiz and think it's a crock. I took it twice, changed a few answers each time, but I made sure it understood I want to be near mountains, the symphony, art museums, a strong economy, cold weather, and college sports. Both times it told me Clarksdale, Mississippi. I've been to Clarksdale, and it is none of the above. In fact, it's the complete opposite (flat, ugly, poverty stricken, muggy weather, high crime, etc.) The ONLY thing I have to say about that quiz is, at least it didn't cost me anything. But I wish I could have those ten minutes back.

I wouldn't put any faith in that quiz at all.

However, I think Maryville is a nice place.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:44 PM

6,290 posts, read 20,559,371 times
Paris is great if you like fishing and hiking and camping. It's near Land Between the Lakes (Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley) and also Paris Landing State Park.

And you might occasionally run into Hank Williams, Jr.; he lives there.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:46 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post

I wouldn't put any faith in that quiz at all.

However, I think Maryville is a nice place.
Ah well! It was interesting, tho. The description of Maryville on that quiz stated that it's 'progressive' - the complete opposite of what I want. I think a few of us know what other term 'progressive' stands for.....

Maryville is too city for me anyway, and too close to a major city (Knoxville). I need more country and fresh air around me. It sounded nice, tho, with all the amenities available. Nice place to visit, tho, with everything it offered. I do like the occasional ballet, symphony and 'light opera'. Which begs for yet another thread.

In my searching around for a topographic map of TN, I found this extremely informative website:

Moderator cut: link not allowed

Gives you topographic info, as well as rivers, river levels, earthquake activity in TN (another reason to stay away from the western end). There was a 2.2 earthquake in Knoxville this past January. A nice earthquake 'safe-zone' looks like 50 + miles northeast of Nashville - an area I was interested in anyway.

I love Googling!

blessings, Shen

Old 04-10-2007, 04:50 PM

6,290 posts, read 20,559,371 times
And there's always Google Earth.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
And there's always Google Earth.
Unfortunately, it's not compatible with my Mac. I've tried it before, and it is pretty neat. Just put in your address, and come up with a satellite view of your yard.

blessings, Shen

Old 04-10-2007, 05:19 PM

117 posts, read 433,181 times
I took the quiz and it said Paris, TN was the number one choice for me. LOL.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:46 PM

16 posts, read 74,677 times
We just got back from TN on Saturday. Maryville was absolutely beautiful! We visited Chattanooga, which was a lot of fun and to Nashville for the day. Nashville reminded me a lot of Baltimore County, MD. We stayed a few days in Cookeville and that was a nice town. We visited Sparta in White County and I loved that area!

Old 04-10-2007, 06:07 PM

22,534 posts, read 46,107,331 times
There was an earthquake in Knoxville this past January? Well, I am paranoid and hysterical most of the time, as others on here can tell you, and I am here to say that I felt NOTHING. If I'm not worried, I don't think you should be.

Old 04-10-2007, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
There was an earthquake in Knoxville this past January?
It was only a 2.2, so doubtful anyone felt it as nothing more than a passing moment of possible vertigo.

Thanks, Hiknapster - I'm trying to narrow down the area to look in, when we come down, and don't think that Knoxville area would be for us, anyway, as I'm not a city person. There was a 4.5 earthquake hit in this area about 10 years ago, I felt that, but just a jolt. I think that no matter where someone decides to live, you can't avoid all dangers, you just have to balance things out. Hurricanes vs tornadoes, but stay out of tornado alley, earthquakes, locusts, geckos, and bugs. I do hope that you get out of that mobile home, tho.

God watches over us, and I trust in Him.

I'm centering more on the general Cookeville area, radius of about 50 miles.

blessings, Shen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or