U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 05:32 PM

1,775 posts, read 7,202,774 times

Advertisements

We were considering building a log home but then the more we looked at the maintenance on them through our research we are also considering frame built with maybe log siding. Anyone have any opinions on either one? Does log siding need the same intense care as full logs? We've always lived in a block home. Of course we'll do more research on both and we have plenty of time to do so but it's nice to get a few opinions from those who can relate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 05:36 PM

7,281 posts, read 18,703,493 times
Not really answering your direct question, but on a side note, frame built homes are easier to finance or refinance if necessary than a log home. Log homes sometimes have some issues when it comes to financing.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:38 PM

6,290 posts, read 20,548,170 times
I like the framed version better, whether a traditional framed or semi-timbered framed.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:40 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
793 posts, read 2,516,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
We were considering building a log home but then the more we looked at the maintenance on them through our research we are also considering frame built with maybe log siding. Anyone have any opinions on either one? Does log siding need the same intense care as full logs? We've always lived in a block home. Of course we'll do more research on both and we have plenty of time to do so but it's nice to get a few opinions from those who can relate.
Hi again! Lou and I checked into log homes, but they're pretty pricey, so we checked into getting a modular, and putting log siding on it. Well, I did a Google search on log siding, and got a pretty good idea, including siding that is made from wood, looks like logs, easier to care for etc. Here's a list of websites to check

Moderator cut: please PM this info
Hope this helps!

blessings, Shen

Old 04-10-2007, 06:14 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
793 posts, read 2,516,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenandoah View Post
Here's a list of websites to check

Moderator cut: please PM this info
Hope this helps!

blessings, Shen
Well...anyway - just Google log siding, and you'll find some informative sites.

blessings, Shen

Old 04-10-2007, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenandoah View Post
Well...anyway - just Google log siding, and you'll find some informative sites.

blessings, Shen
I got a peek at them before they were cut. Thanks for the info though

Old 04-11-2007, 05:19 AM

61 posts, read 217,986 times
Shenandoah, do a search for modular log homes. I don't know the price compared to regular modular homes, but I know they are making them in at least two areas of PA and have been for a few years now.

Our dream home is a log and that's basically what we have been searching for. Yes, the maintenance is a bit more than for a vinyl or brick home. I have a friend you has lived in a log for about 25 years now and recently asked him and his wife if they would build a log home again. The answer was "in a heartbeat". Due to the mass of the logs they are easier to heat in winter and easier to cool in the summer. Check out some of the log home magazine websites. They have log home seminars througout the country. We are going to one in PA at the end of April. Many of the major manufacturers are there and it is a great education to see all of the different log styles, manufacturing techniques, etc. in addition to getting frank answers about what is involved in the maintenance.

Old 04-11-2007, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighterdon View Post
Shenandoah, do a search for modular log homes. I don't know the price compared to regular modular homes, but I know they are making them in at least two areas of PA and have been for a few years now.

Our dream home is a log and that's basically what we have been searching for. Yes, the maintenance is a bit more than for a vinyl or brick home. I have a friend you has lived in a log for about 25 years now and recently asked him and his wife if they would build a log home again. The answer was "in a heartbeat". Due to the mass of the logs they are easier to heat in winter and easier to cool in the summer. Check out some of the log home magazine websites. They have log home seminars througout the country. We are going to one in PA at the end of April. Many of the major manufacturers are there and it is a great education to see all of the different log styles, manufacturing techniques, etc. in addition to getting frank answers about what is involved in the maintenance.
We've subscribed to the log home magazine. There's just so many pros and cons i read about it so hard to decide. To use a log home package or not. there's so much to think about. We'll be attending the Log Home seminar in the fall to hopefully look at our options. I'm kind of aiming more towards the log siding though rather than whole logs. I love the wood look but inside, sometimes there's just too much wood. I want to mix it up a bit inside as far as not having just log walls inside the home maybe some drywall here and there and some color. I've been tearing pages out of the magazines for ideas so hopefully it will all come together one day.

Old 04-11-2007, 06:49 AM

6,290 posts, read 20,548,170 times
I can recommend some books for you if you'd like. I have a whole collection of books on houses, cabins (sometimes they're very big "cabins"?), cottages and the like.

Old 04-11-2007, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
I can recommend some books for you if you'd like. I have a whole collection of books on houses, cabins (sometimes they're very big "cabins"?), cottages and the like.
Thank you for the offer. i'm sure i'll browse a book store too when we get closer to building. it won't be for 5 years at least so we have plenty of time to gather some info. My brother bought a computer program for his home that i'm borrowing. he paid almost $150 for it and never could figure out how to use the thing. It's very complicated. it goes into every single detail down to the electrial wiring and plumbing. I'm hoping to play with that a bit and it lets us put in our landscape, slope or angle of the land etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee