U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 02:09 PM

22,533 posts, read 46,075,513 times

Advertisements

Jobs are often tough to find. Tennesseans are highly educated. Anyone thinks that the state is full of a bunch of dumb hicks will be sorely mistaken.

Bigest problem, in my opinion, is all the transplants moving in. Some of them seem miserable and determined to make everyone around them miserable, too. Even if they are really nice - and there are a lot of them, too - it is driving up the prices of housing. I'm afraid it will become another Florida. Over and over, people on here have said "oh no, that won't happen in Tennessee."

Baloney. They said that about Florida at one time, too.

That is not a slam at you, or anyone else. I am from Florida, too. I just had this pipe dream that I could move here, be surrounded by southerners, and die happy.

Now, it looks doubtful.

I don't like the sales tax, either. I don't make enough, so if there was a state income tax, I would get a refund. But a sales tax on food hits me every week. Hard. A friend of mine on here said that you can grow your own food. Not if you don't have a yard. So there is just no way to get around it, right now.

So, you asked.

Still, all things considered, I absolutely love it here. It's the happiest I've ever been in my life.

Last edited by hiknapster; 04-15-2007 at 03:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2007, 02:21 PM

709 posts, read 1,702,840 times
Hiknapster,

Have you ever heard of the Grocery Game? It would work for you. People have tremendous success with it. Unbelievable success. If you put a .com at the end of the name I just mentioned, it will explain it. That would cut down quite a bit on your food bill with a little work!

Old 04-15-2007, 06:24 PM

8 posts, read 30,834 times
Unhappy Need Help?

Ok, I need some help. My husband & I have moved from CT to Fl 2yrs ago. We were hoping to retire..but things have gone crazy in the last 2yrs & the prices have gone thru the roof. Can not believe what people will charge for houses. Can someone help us? We're looking for a couple acres, a log cabin, maybe work p/t with a short commute. I have been looking at every county in TN...I am so confused. Our children are grown (don't have to worry about schools) more concerned about crime, low cost of living, lower taxes/utilities. How about food prices? Home/auto insurance?? We are planning a trip in a few months but have no idea where to start...

Old 04-15-2007, 06:51 PM

29 posts, read 107,174 times
True on the Tax, but keep in mind we don't have State tax.

Old 04-15-2007, 07:35 PM

709 posts, read 1,702,840 times
Florida doesn't have a state income tax either, so for me or anyone else moving from FL, that didn't really make up for it.

Fortunately, pretty much everything else about TN more than made up for it!

Old 04-15-2007, 07:35 PM

29 posts, read 107,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliebw View Post
Do you think that Middle TN has more than its share of tornadoes. Some research puts it at a higher average but I haven't seen any data supporting a big tornado for years.

I also hear that the towns pretty much shut down for two days during snow falls. Is this accurate?
I've been In Mid-Tn 15 years and have never had a tornado hit near us on the mountain.

I have seen the snow and ice. Twice that I can recall has it gotten so bad that we lost power. We on the mountain know to have back up heat, if your all electric, just in case you do lose power. We use gas.

They take care of the main roads pretty good though. We have good road crews who know their business. When the roads get really bad, we usually get the 4-wheeler (ATV) out and enjoy it and afterwards cuddly up near the fire with hot cocoa. There is always the potential for a blizzard, you just have to prepare. If you are, just kick back and enjoy the beauty. If your not, call your neighbor and we'll get you taken care of.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:06 PM

22,533 posts, read 46,075,513 times
A blizzard in Sewanee, Tennessee? Are you kidding?

Old 06-04-2007, 01:40 PM

4 posts, read 10,437 times
Default No Regrets

My dad and his "new" family moved to Spring Hill, TN (approx. 30 min. south of Nashville) about two years ago. They all feel it was the best move ever. My stepsister was getting on the wrong path here in FL. I just returned from her high school graduation this past weekend and she received a scholarship for college. My dad and stepmother feel the move to an active community that is family oriented was the largest contributor.

The crime and hurricanes here in Tampa are exhausting. I have been up there for visits on many occasions. My husband and I love it up there and are currently looking for property to relocate in the next few years. Tennessee's growth is booming right now. It seems like most of the people I have spoken to up there are transplants, many from FL who were looking for the same reasons. The scenery is amazing, the seasons are breathtaking. Since you are taking your horse up there with you, be prepared to spend a lot more time on it. Between the scenery, weather and decrease in bugs you will probably be out daily.

Also, I have a 5 year old half brother up there. There are so many nice parks up there for kids to enjoy. Since my dad is retired, they go to a different park daily. They have made so many friends like that. Plus, the weather is so much more enjoyable. Yes, the summer does get hot like FL. But, the season passes and it is Fall before you know it. Plus, the humidity is minimal in TN compared to FL.

I know it is scary. I have lived in FL my whole life. But, I have never run across one person that has said that they regret the move. My dad says that everytime he turns around he is saving money up there compared to all of Florida's outrageous taxes and insurances. For instance, Spring Hill is growing so quickly that they aren't paying any property taxes at all.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:56 PM

11,604 posts, read 31,777,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamela3078 View Post
My dad and his "new" family moved to Spring Hill, TN (approx. 30 min. south of Nashville) about two years ago. They all feel it was the best move ever. My stepsister was getting on the wrong path here in FL. I just returned from her high school graduation this past weekend and she received a scholarship for college. My dad and stepmother feel the move to an active community that is family oriented was the largest contributor.

The crime and hurricanes here in Tampa are exhausting. I have been up there for visits on many occasions. My husband and I love it up there and are currently looking for property to relocate in the next few years. Tennessee's growth is booming right now. It seems like most of the people I have spoken to up there are transplants, many from FL who were looking for the same reasons. The scenery is amazing, the seasons are breathtaking. Since you are taking your horse up there with you, be prepared to spend a lot more time on it. Between the scenery, weather and decrease in bugs you will probably be out daily.

Also, I have a 5 year old half brother up there. There are so many nice parks up there for kids to enjoy. Since my dad is retired, they go to a different park daily. They have made so many friends like that. Plus, the weather is so much more enjoyable. Yes, the summer does get hot like FL. But, the season passes and it is Fall before you know it. Plus, the humidity is minimal in TN compared to FL.

I know it is scary. I have lived in FL my whole life. But, I have never run across one person that has said that they regret the move. My dad says that everytime he turns around he is saving money up there compared to all of Florida's outrageous taxes and insurances. For instance, Spring Hill is growing so quickly that they aren't paying any property taxes at all.
What a wonderful post! Thanks so much for sharing your family's experiences which mirror so many of our experiences (I'm also a native Floridian). I miss the Florida of yesteryear like crazy, but since that Florida doesn't exist anymore, moving to Tennessee was the best thing my family has ever done.

Best of luck to you and your family with your plans to purchase property in Tennessee!

Old 06-04-2007, 02:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,956 times
We are thinking of moving from new jersey to fairview, TN and begin a horse boarding facility. Do you have any idea about boarding prices? Or any info about this area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee