U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 11:45 AM

2 posts, read 5,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNB View Post
Love all the ghost tales...I have had my share of personal ghost encounters in homes I have lived in--will be interesting to see what I bump into when we move out to TN....

:-D
BNB, I have found that if you have seen spirits in the past, moving to another state will not change things; as their are spirits all over the world! I hope that is not what you are moving for!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 11:51 AM
BNB

172 posts, read 618,510 times
LOL angi! Not at all. Funny thing....not had any recent experiences in our last two residences (including where we live now).

Old 02-22-2009, 11:54 AM

2 posts, read 3,379 times
I've been there myself many times. I would go at about 12 in the morning with some buddies and turn off my truck and sit there and it all ways started right back up. I started asking around at school about it and I havn't heard of it working yet. I even had a buddie's tire go flat when he was going across and he had to change it in the middle of the middle of the night and almost go hit by a moron in a golden Trans Am, but still no George. I heard different many different stories as well.

#1 You could stop on the bridge and turn your car off and it wouldn't start back up.

#2 You could be driving over the bridge and your just cut off. The story behind these first two is that George fell off the bridge onto the trackes just in time to get hit by a train. Although I can't find these stories anywhere on the internet, these are the one I've heard the most.

#3 You stop and turn off your car and run around your vehicle three times it's not supposed to start back up. With this one your supposes to see a truck wreck off of the bridge and get hit by a train. The story behind it was that George was driving drunk and ran off of the bridge just in time to get plowed over by a train. I heard of this working, but I'd have to see for myself.

#4 I heard if you take a camcorder and cameras they'll receive interference and you'll see stuff, but the girl that told me never said what you'll see.

#5 I heard that your supposed go on a dark stormy night and you'll see a dark feagure of a man carriying a lantern looking for his head. The storie behind this was that George was a railroad worker that was working the late shift. He slipped, fell, and knocked himself out cold. The train ran and ran George over and decapitated his head. I never heard this one. I found it on the internet.

I hear of all these goast stories of Putnam co. but they never work. There's a really rich haunted history of Overton Co. The haunted house that has blood all over the wall at night, the haunted house full of stollen money that is cursed, the haunted hill that you role up instead of down, Old Union Church, the cemetary next to a white church, the haunted lake, the haunted feild, the haunted school house, and the house that one of cousins lived in was supposibly haunted as well.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:28 AM

41 posts, read 169,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpyrlr7 View Post
I've been there myself many times. I would go at about 12 in the morning with some buddies and turn off my truck and sit there and it all ways started right back up. I started asking around at school about it and I havn't heard of it working yet. I even had a buddie's tire go flat when he was going across and he had to change it in the middle of the middle of the night and almost go hit by a moron in a golden Trans Am, but still no George. I heard different many different stories as well.

#1 You could stop on the bridge and turn your car off and it wouldn't start back up.

#2 You could be driving over the bridge and your just cut off. The story behind these first two is that George fell off the bridge onto the trackes just in time to get hit by a train. Although I can't find these stories anywhere on the internet, these are the one I've heard the most.

#3 You stop and turn off your car and run around your vehicle three times it's not supposed to start back up. With this one your supposes to see a truck wreck off of the bridge and get hit by a train. The story behind it was that George was driving drunk and ran off of the bridge just in time to get plowed over by a train. I heard of this working, but I'd have to see for myself.

#4 I heard if you take a camcorder and cameras they'll receive interference and you'll see stuff, but the girl that told me never said what you'll see.

#5 I heard that your supposed go on a dark stormy night and you'll see a dark feagure of a man carriying a lantern looking for his head. The storie behind this was that George was a railroad worker that was working the late shift. He slipped, fell, and knocked himself out cold. The train ran and ran George over and decapitated his head. I never heard this one. I found it on the internet.

I hear of all these goast stories of Putnam co. but they never work. There's a really rich haunted history of Overton Co. The haunted house that has blood all over the wall at night, the haunted house full of stollen money that is cursed, the haunted hill that you role up instead of down, Old Union Church, the cemetary next to a white church, the haunted lake, the haunted feild, the haunted school house, and the house that one of cousins lived in was supposibly haunted as well.
It sounds like your tire changin' buddy had an encounter with 'Bandit George', Crazy George's Trans-Am driving cousin. He's lost his head too, tearing around the countryside like that! He used to drive a black Trans AM.... but that was a long time ago. If you happen to be in the area, just remember to look out for him and keep the dirty side down and the shinny side up..... 10-4.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,623 times
there is a place where i live in smith county tennessee but the place that i say to be haunted is dean hill a plain crashed there and killed every body own it 5 people died thay say u can hear a babby crying and you can some times see a woman walking down the road asking have u seen my baby it is crazy on top of this hill me and my friends party up there in the summer and have heard stuff that was know way we could have heard like the plane crashing

Old 04-06-2009, 11:07 AM

636 posts, read 1,218,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter333751 View Post
there is a place where i live in smith county tennessee but the place that i say to be haunted is dean hill a plain crashed there and killed every body own it 5 people died thay say u can hear a babby crying and you can some times see a woman walking down the road asking have u seen my baby it is crazy on top of this hill me and my friends party up there in the summer and have heard stuff that was know way we could have heard like the plane crashing

I've here'd of a place in these parts they call 'baby's cry'. Wifes a true local as is her family, and she says it's true.

Another note, house up the holler is said to be haunted, I can't say for sure but do know a friend didn't live in that old house long before getting out of it. The mother and kids seen a lady that came and went right before their eyes several times during their short stay renting it. I went to that house myself and it had secret compartments hidden within on both levels, creepy. Another thing I found odd about this old farm house is that who ever dug the basement waited until after the house was built, then dug a dirt basement under it. Theres no telling how long it must have taken hauling dirt up the ladder in buckets, and carrying it out the front door to dump it where ever it was that they got rid of it. Hell, why not dig it out before building a two story house and trying to figure out how to hold the pillars and floor up while digging? Don't make any sense to me unless someone didn't want anyone to know they had an 'all dirt basement' ( not a tater celler, the tater celler is built into the hill beside the house ).

Old 05-15-2009, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,529 times
Default no

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
Ok, depends on who told the story but sometimes it's green eyes. Here's the scoop:
Chickamauga Battlefield - There are many reports of seeing a mysterious set of glowing green eyes from a ghost of a confederate soldier. Even during the war, soldiers had reported him looking over the dead during battles. Also, There is an old tower here that is visible from the main road. The top four steps have a mysterious blood stain on them. People have tried to remove the stains, but to no avail. They always seem to return. A mysterious being haunts the area beneath the stairs at night!

Here's a link to haunted Georgia:
News Daily, Email Newsletter, Dallas Morning News, Newport News, News, Newsletter Template, Newport News.com, Forex News, Newsgroup Server, US News and World Report, Newsweek, Breaking News, Newport News Real Estate, Newsletter Printing, Noticias, Wo (http://www.juiceenewsdaily.com/0405/travel/haunted_georgia.html - broken link)

Haunted TN (which includes the Read House Rm 311):
News Daily, Email Newsletter, Dallas Morning News, Newport News, News, Newsletter Template, Newport News.com, Forex News, Newsgroup Server, US News and World Report, Newsweek, Breaking News, Newport News Real Estate, Newsletter Printing, Noticias, Wo (http://www.juiceenewsdaily.com/0205/news/haunted_tennessee.html - broken link)

Well let me go ahead and clear this up i dont think anyone reads this thread anymore but if they do let me set the record straight.

1st ill address green eyes. green eyes does not originate near wilder tower(the lookout tower you refer to) it originates near snodgrass hill and the monument with the cat on top of it. Green eyes was seen after the battle by a confederate general who wrote about it moving amongst the dead on the field behind snodgrass cabin. it is reported to be half human half beast. I investigate the battlefield at least 1 time a week and have never in all my years going seen the green eyed monster. not saying it isnt real just saying it is apparently rare especially since there are very few documented cases. and as for the blood stains on the top of wilder tower. There are no blood stains there at all. It is open during the day and anyone that wants to can walk all the way up to the top of the tower. We have gotten some interesting evps from the tower at night when its locked up and noone can be in it. And now ill go ahead and dispell another myth about the tower im sure ill see since ive heard it over and over again. its the legend about the kids playing there at night and one went up the tower at night and saw something and jumped from one of the tower windows and fell to his death. well let me assure you that it would be hard for an infant baby to fit through one of those windows let alone a teenage boy. The windows are aproximatly 4 inches wide by 1.5 feet hight so trust me noone jumped out of that tower. and ill clear one other misconception up while im here. The tower was built as a monument and memorial AFTER the war ended. it was not there during the battle or at all during the war. Anyway I hope this clears some things up. Yes in my opinion the battle field is haunted but no greeneyes is not at the tower and no there is no blood at the tower and noone died jumping from the window lol so anyway happy hunting Moderator cut: deleted

Last edited by Beretta; 05-15-2009 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: no solicitation

Old 05-31-2009, 03:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,448 times
I just talked last week with a man who is the majority owner of Booger Swamp in Cookeville. He gave me permission to explore it's dark regions. He told me his version of how it got it's name

Old 05-31-2009, 04:19 PM

23,633 posts, read 21,969,184 times
Big Foot is live and well living in Eastern TN.. index if you use Google Earth and the Igoogle tool bar you can see a spotted location just North East of Cookeville....

Old 09-08-2009, 03:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putnam co child View Post
I did some research and apparently the pentacles and stones over the grave was a "disgraceful" way that they used to bury "witches". The tented stones are supposed to hold evil powers in. Don't know how true that is, but I did a project on the two "witches" graveyards last Fall and that's what I found. (I'm a TTU student!)
I just visited the Stamps cemetary yesterday and saw where some of the headstones are being replaced with modern granite ones -- bummer. Where exactly is the other cemetary. I heard from the librarian at TTU (1989) that there were 5 graveyards, forming a star surrounding Cookeville. Click here and scroll to the last few pictures to see the ones of the graveyard ([url=http://picasaweb.google.com/bettyglenn10/BurgessFalls?authkey=Gv1sRgCPKnlpKIypurTg]Picasa Web Albums - glennbj - Burgess Falls[/url]#). What is the story about Crazy George?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee