Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 08:30 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,655,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenda starz View Post
ok dont mean to be off topic but does anyone knowif the prison called "the castle " haunted .....its the prison the filmed the green mile in ???i think it was in tenn...if i am wrong sorry ok ..
Here's a link to some info about it:

Tennessee State Penitentiary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 06:37 PM

4 posts, read 18,644 times
Red face Hey there

Ok... so I'm from Putnam co and have heard and researched alot of random supernatural occurances. I have a personal interest in the story about highway 70... what is standing(now) where that house used to be? Just out of curiosity. Thanks!

Old 07-07-2008, 07:01 PM

I am pretty sure the Braswell Brothers are buried at the old Upperman Highschool... which is now a middle school. There is a graveyard directly beside the school- I mean, not even 2 yards from the gym! and someone was supposedly hanged from the old tree that's in the little fence that blocks it off.
I do actually have to throw in my own opinion about Crazy george's bridge and the surrounding area- though the george story might not be true- I believe there is something there. It could be attributed to occult practices in the 70/80/90s (with the satanic panic and such) but I have always gotten an uneasy feeling there. Ya know? Kinda forboding, if you will.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:52 AM

41 posts, read 190,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putnam co child View Post
I am pretty sure the Braswell Brothers are buried at the old Upperman Highschool... which is now a middle school. There is a graveyard directly beside the school- I mean, not even 2 yards from the gym! and someone was supposedly hanged from the old tree that's in the little fence that blocks it off.
I do actually have to throw in my own opinion about Crazy george's bridge and the surrounding area- though the george story might not be true- I believe there is something there. It could be attributed to occult practices in the 70/80/90s (with the satanic panic and such) but I have always gotten an uneasy feeling there. Ya know? Kinda forboding, if you will.
You are correct, the brothers are buried on the grounds of Conerstone Middle School (formerly Upperman High, and going further back, Baxter Seminary) in Baxter. Don't know anything about anyone being hanged there. However the brothers were executed in Cookeville, but buried in Baxter.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Ok... so I'm from Putnam co and have heard and researched alot of random supernatural occurances. I have a personal interest in the story about highway 70... what is standing(now) where that house used to be? Just out of curiosity. Thanks!
Are you talking about the "Rollen Place"? If so, there is now a large, fairly new (5 - 10 year old) house on the property. The owners probably don't have a clue about the property's history!

Old 07-08-2008, 02:04 PM

764 posts, read 2,549,250 times
Years ago, DH and I went on an overnight trip to Rugby, TN with a Nashville-based ghost hunting club. Legend is, the Newbury House Bed and Breakfast in Rugby is haunted and our club rented out all the rooms one weekend so we could do some investigating. We had tape recorders and electrical gadgets to record electromagnetic readings in each room. When we entered the room with the most recorded sightings, our fearless club members freaked out and ran because the temperature gauge on the dresser read 66.6 degrees. DH and I laughed so hard and chose to stay in that room ourselves, especially since everyone else chickened out. Sad to say, we did not personally see any ghosts and that was the last time we socialized with that particular ghost hunting group.

Our own house has a great deal of history. I grew up in this house and someone was killed in my own bedroom - now my daughter's room - before my parents bought it almost 30 years ago. Also, part of the land was home to a large cemetery. No one's sure if the bodies were ever moved or if only the headstones were relocated, but I sure do grow great vegetables in that section of the yard. Must be the fertilizer. Part of the cemetery was also on my neighbors acreage and he wasn't allowed by the county to move the headstone and grave, so he just laid it flat and buried it. And yes, both my husband and I have experienced things in the house.

When we moved in 30 years ago, there was a string of deaths all along this road - every house there was a death. In ours, it was murder, on either side the husbands died of heart attacks and 2 houses down a man committed suicide. It all occurred within a 2 year timeframe and nothing since until my next door neighbor died at home just a couple of months ago. Maybe the cycle is starting over?

Old 07-08-2008, 02:06 PM

764 posts, read 2,549,250 times
Speaking of Cookeville/Putman Co., does anyone know anything about the tented graves with the pentagrams etched onto them? I don't remember exactly where they were, only that when I went to TTU, I had a boyfriend drive me out there one night and scared the crap out of me with tales of witchcraft and such.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_Moon View Post
Speaking of Cookeville/Putman Co., does anyone know anything about the tented graves with the pentagrams etched onto them? I don't remember exactly where they were, only that when I went to TTU, I had a boyfriend drive me out there one night and scared the crap out of me with tales of witchcraft and such.
You are probably thinking of some of the graves located in the Stamps Cemetery, located near the intersection of Brotherton Mountain Rd. and Stamps-Shady Grove Rd. This is little more than a stones throw away from Crazy George's Bridge - another local 'haunt' where many-a-girlfriend (and a few boyfriends) has had the bejeebies scared out of them over the years.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_Moon View Post

I did some research and apparently the pentacles and stones over the grave was a "disgraceful" way that they used to bury "witches". The tented stones are supposed to hold evil powers in. Don't know how true that is, but I did a project on the two "witches" graveyards last Fall and that's what I found. (I'm a TTU student!)

Old 07-09-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
I did some research and apparently the pentacles and stones over the grave was a "disgraceful" way that they used to bury "witches". The tented stones are supposed to hold evil powers in. Don't know how true that is, but I did a project on the two "witches" graveyards last Fall and that's what I found. (I'm a TTU student!)

Oh yeah! And the other "witches cemetary" is on the road to Gainsboro. About ten minutes out of Cookeville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee