U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-12-2007, 06:38 AM
 
Location: Another Day Closer
13,905 posts, read 2,688,542 times
Reputation: 3473

Advertisements

I'm a paranormal buff (don't worry I don't see dead people, just fascinated with the subject . I imagine with Tennesse's rich history there must be many places that are reputedly haunted, battle grounds, cemetarys etc. Can you tell me about some of these. I would like to make a point of visiting them. I also want to someday get to Bodie, California for the same reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-12-2007, 06:48 AM
 
Location: Deane Hill, Knoxville, Tennessee
22,204 posts, read 43,321,843 times
Reputation: 12773
Ah, Tennessee...home of the Bell Witch. The claim is it is the only ghost to actually kill someone.

There are tons of websites on ghosts in Tennessee.

Here's one to get you started!

http://www.prairieghosts.com/b-cave.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2007, 06:53 AM
 
Location: Another Day Closer
13,905 posts, read 2,688,542 times
Reputation: 3473
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Ah, Tennessee...home of the Bell Witch. The claim is it is the only ghost to actually kill someone.

There are tons of websites on ghosts in Tennessee.

Here's one to get you started!

http://www.prairieghosts.com/b-cave.html
Thanks hiknapster! I fogot about the Bell Witch. I'm familiar with the story. That's a good one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2007, 06:54 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
6,290 posts, read 19,701,344 times
Reputation: 1648
I grew up on the east side of Montgomery County which is not too far from Adams and the whole Bell witch thing. The film An American Haunting was loosely (very loosely) based on it. There are several books and films that have been done about the Bell witch.

Of course, there are dozens of "ghost stories" around Tennessee . . . everything from a haunted room at the Read Hotel in Chattanooga to Hank Williams's ghost living above Tootsie Lounge in downtown Nashville.

Have fun. Don't get slimed. ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2007, 06:57 AM
 
Location: Another Day Closer
13,905 posts, read 2,688,542 times
Reputation: 3473
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
I grew up on the east side of Montgomery County which is not too far from Adams and the whole Bell witch thing. The film An American Haunting was loosely (very loosely) based on it. There are several books and films that have been done about the Bell witch.

Of course, there are dozens of "ghost stories" around Tennessee . . . everything from a haunted room at the Read Hotel in Chattanooga to Hank Williams's ghost living above Tootsie Lounge in downtown Nashville.

Have fun. Don't get slimed. ;-)
LOL, No I won't. I've got special ghost sensing attack cats to protect me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2007, 07:12 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
6,290 posts, read 19,701,344 times
Reputation: 1648
Slightly off-topic . . . In Greenwood Cemetery in Clarksville there's a beautiful statue of a little girl who died back in the 1800s. It's a tradition that when you visit the cemetery you touch the hem of the little girl's dress. A few years ago someone stole the statue. People was about as upset as if someone had stolen an actual little girl. It was finally found and returned (from New Jersey, I believe).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2007, 07:19 AM
 
Location: Another Day Closer
13,905 posts, read 2,688,542 times
Reputation: 3473
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
Slightly off-topic . . . In Greenwood Cemetery in Clarksville there's a beautiful statue of a little girl who died back in the 1800s. It's a tradition that when you visit the cemetery you touch the hem of the little girl's dress. A few years ago someone stole the statue. People was about as upset as if someone had stolen an actual little girl. It was finally found and returned (from New Jersey, I believe).

See, now this is Interesting. Now I'm gonna have to go see this statue. It will be on my list of places to go. I don't think anything accentuates the history of a place like it's ghost stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2007, 07:22 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
6,290 posts, read 19,701,344 times
Reputation: 1648
Be sure to visit the Old Nashville Cemetery. There's a lot of interesting folks buried there, and some have some interesting stories.

I was trying to find an online picture of the statue and got distracted when I found an online driving tour of Clarksville (I posted the link to that).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2007, 07:25 AM
 
Location: Chattanooga TN
2,349 posts, read 9,116,335 times
Reputation: 1184
Default Haunted Chattanooga (kinda)

Don't forget the Chickamauga Battlefield, just south of Chattanooga. Heard tales of old "yellow eyes" in the lookout tower!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2007, 07:29 AM
 
Location: Another Day Closer
13,905 posts, read 2,688,542 times
Reputation: 3473
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
Don't forget the Chickamauga Battlefield, just south of Chattanooga. Heard tales of old "yellow eyes" in the lookout tower!
Old "yellow eyes". Details please???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top