U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 05:06 PM

11,612 posts, read 31,808,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordy View Post
I tried to post some photos but it just didn't work out--sorry!

Cookeville is very, very pretty and we do have a little mountain in the county. The thing that I didn't really like when we were first looking was that the main business drag, Jefferson, is not that attractive, particularly in the late fall after the leaves have all dropped. However, that's about the only unattractive part of Cookeville that I've seen.

One thing you would probably really like about Cookeville is that there are actually many different "Cookevilles." There is the downtown part, where there are plenty of houses, some modest and some upscale. Then there is the outskirts part, on the west and northwest side. That can be a bit remote but the prices of homes are a bit lower as you move out of the city limits and the roads you travel to get there are just gorgeous. There are also parts of Cookeville that are basically farmland. Lots of subdivisions but also lots of non-subdivisions. There is Algood, which is booming in terms of new construction, and you won't find a more gorgeous setting than White Plains, which is an upscale subdivision.

The drive from Cookeville to Nashville is very, very pretty. Winding roads and lots of hills and valleys. There is one spot where there is a blue silo close to the interstate with a flag on it, just so pretty.

If you live in Cookeville, you'll find the downtown picturesque areas that JMT has shown us, but you will also find the regular suburban shopping areas with Kohl's and Books-A-Million, etc. The only major place we don't have that I think we should based on our size and location is a Target. I figure we can't be too far from Target because the closest one is around 80 miles away and we already have TWO super Wal-Marts within just a few miles of one another. They could just put the Target in and then stop developing and it would be perfect, hehe.

You can live in a new neighborhood without too many mature trees, or you can live in an older subdivision with flowering trees and towering oaks and pines. It's just a matter of your preference. Most of the lots here are fairly generous in size. My own property is in an older subdivision on about 1.5 acres, and we live in the city limits of Cookeville. It just happened to have what we needed in terms of space and layout (we have to accommodate living quarters for my mother, so our needs are a bit unusual). Our house is up on a hill top and during the summer and most of the fall, you can't even see the house from the road unless it's nighttime and then you only see the lights, not the house. That's our Cookeville, but there are many other versions of Cookeville to be found around here. There are just a few minor things I'd rather live without but you know what? I don't really have to worry about them because Cookeville is big and diverse enough that if I run across something (an area, an attitude, a pink elephant --just kidding, there is a pink elephant on Willow but I kinda like that thing!) I'm not wild about, I just focus on the rest of the 99+% that I do like.

I guess most places are like Cookeville when it comes to that sort of mindset--most places are big enough that you can avoid what does not charm you and focus on what does. Good luck with your decision and hunt! This is a good place to call home.
What a beautiful photo! I've always thought the White Plains area is one of the nicest areas around, and that picture sure proved it. And CAtoGA, I highly recommend the White Plains area. The golf course there at White Plains is also really nice.

And I think you did a great job describing the Cookeville area. I can't wait to move back there someday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 05:33 PM

86 posts, read 341,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAtoGA View Post
My husband travels for work and so being near an airport is necessary. We decided to look around the Nashville area (within an hour or so) because flights are so much less expensive. My original focus had been the Johnson City area. We really want (like most people here) a smaller town with big town amenities.
Having grown up in the Tri-Cities (18 years), gone to college in Cookeville, spent two summers in Chattanooga, and now currently living in Knoxville, I think just about anything in East TN is nice. It just depends on what you are looking for.

Cookeville is obviously the smallest town that you are looking at. We jokingly called the mall "the small" because there wasn't much there. If you are looking for a night out, it's about an hour-and-a-half to either Knoxville or Nashville. It is a very pretty area with several great hiking trails and waterfalls. If you have children, the college is great. My husband and I majored in education, my brother got his degree in computer science, my sister-in-law is music therapy, my sister got her degree in business, and my brother-in-law is an engineering major who graduates next month. As you can see, we like TN Tech!

I'm not a real big fan of Nashville just because I'm not a big-city kind of girl, but if you're looking at the out-skirts, it's not too bad. My brother and sis-in-law live in Smyrna and really like it. There is definitely a lot more to do in Nashville. There is a fabulous theatre (TPAC) there, so they always have a good show coming to town, and if you're up for cheering on a new sports team, you can go to a Titans game. They have some fabulous restaurants and great shopping! You just have to put up with all of the other people. And if you want to go hiking or get away from it all, you can always drive to Cookeville

I am the most familiar with the Tri-Cities. Do keep in mind that each of the three cities (Bristol, Kingsport, and Johnson City) all have their own unique feel. Of the three, Johnson City is the biggest. Everyone goes to the Johnson City mall to go shopping. It tends to be the liveliest, having most of the clubs, the college campus, more restaurants, etc. Kingsport is in the middle and is forever trying to keep up with Johnson City. The shopping and restaurants are getting better, but it still has a pretty "small-town" feel. Most of what I know of Bristol is the historic feel that it has, but of course you must remember that the Bristol Motor Speedway is there, bringing in a crazy rush a couple times a year. Shop-lined streets and the Bristol Theatre make the down-town area one of my favorites. Then, there are all kinds of small cities/towns in-between the three (Piney Flats, Jonesboro, and Blountville).

If you are looking at Chattanooga just for the Atlanta airport, I would pass. Without bad traffic, it's about a two hour drive. You could use that gas money to buy a more expensive plane ticket.

I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or