Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 05:40 AM

9 posts, read 40,069 times

Advertisements

My husband & I have been discussing moving to Ripley from North Dakota once our teenagers graduate from high school. He is currently employed by Marvin Windows & we know there's a plant located in Ripley. Hence being interested in moving there. Not to mention we're both getting tired of the sub zero winters. Anyone have information on Ripley, housing costs, weather (do most homes have basements or storm shelter), types of insects, etc... Pictures of Ripley, other than the city website are hard to come by. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2006, 07:34 AM

113 posts, read 529,548 times
www. ripleytennessee. com

Might be helpful. But, message me if you want more info.

Old 10-23-2006, 08:09 AM

Hi there!

yes the website is helpful in my research. What I'm looking for now is some personal insight into Ripley & possibly surrounding communities. Housing, weather, etc....

Old 10-23-2006, 07:20 PM

8 posts, read 31,452 times
I live in Ripley Tn. Born and raised here. Left for a few years, but ended up back here. It is your typical little southern town. It is a rural area surrounded by cotton fields. The weather is hot and humid in the summer, and mild to very cold in the winter. The weather can change in a flash. Housing in the area is relatively cheap compared to counties to the south of here. We have a basement, but not all houses have one. The people are very friendly. It is a small county so new ideas are harder to put into place because the powers to be don't like giving up any power. Demographics are about 50/50 with a growing influx of Hispanics due to small crop growers needing help in the fields. You asked about bugs....mosquitoes, flies, crickets, etc....your usual. Small but growing gang problem in Ripley, bigger problem in Henning to the south. My suggestion would be to look at Halls in Lauderdale County, Dyer County or Crockett County if working at Marvin Windows. Tipton County would not be too far of a drive either, but housing is way higher. Stay away from Haywood County. It's not that I don't want you for a neighbor, but you would be a long way from home. I would want your move to be pleasant, and I can't recommend moving to Ripley at this time. Halls is in the north part of the county. It is a small town just south of Dyersburg. It is relatively quiet and housing would be very reasonable. A safe environment too. There wouldn't be much to do there, but Dyersburg is 10 min. away, and Jackson is 45 min. away. I hope I have helped some. Let me know if I can help you in anyway.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:35 AM

Smile reply to pass it on

yes your post does help. I have been looking at various communites surrounding Ripley. I ask about Ripley as it if pretty much the same size as the one we live in here in ND. I have relatives in Nashville & have heard many good things about the state of TN.

In that a move of well over 1000 miles warrants a great deal of research, I sincerely appreciate your reply to my post. I must ask one thing, why do you say you would not recommend a move at this time to Ripley? Is it due to the growing gang problem you mentioned? and or the growing influx of migrant workers (we have many many people who come into our area to work the fields) so we are used to this.

one other question I have for you...what about tornados? here we rarely if ever have seen one. the worst weather happening here - blizzards. summers can be hot & definitely humid, so we are used to that. it's that blasted cold I can do without..((laughs)). I look forward to any reply you might have.

thank you so much. take care.

Old 10-28-2006, 06:14 PM

We do have an occasional tornado come through west Tennessee. They have been very destructive at times.

You asked about gangs or migrant workers. Gang problems are the reason I would suggest moving a little north or east. We have just gone through a major cleaning out of govt. officials here, and I feel the living conditions will slowly improve. We have been held down due to the powers in control. I feel we will now move forward. It will take a while, but I do think life will get better. We have a lot of creative and talented people here. We just need leadership to get it headed in the right direction.

I don't mean to discourage you so much. I just want you to be aware.

Old 10-29-2006, 05:57 AM

thank you for another reply. I hope this will continue as you haven't discouraged me. We thank you for the information you have provided so far.........We've been cautious about the whole move idea hence doing research on the area. living in North Dakota has been good but we don't want to live here forever.

So there's been some problems with the local government huh? with different ppl in place, yes perhaps things will improve there. no matter where one lives there is some type of problems.

we've been looking at Ripley as a place to move to due to the fact Marvin's is right there. which isn't to say it is the only option for a community to live in...over the next 5 years I plan to continue my research into the area & hope to find something that's right for us. perhaps even work in a roadtrip to see things for ourselves. to check out the community, neighborhoods etc...

well, thank you again for replying, it is sincerely appreciated.

Old 10-29-2006, 05:55 PM

I have enjoyed communicating with you. If you ever do come to Tn., I would be glad to give you the royal tour. I even know some people who work for Marvin Windows.

Old 11-11-2006, 06:29 AM

Are there recluse spiders in TN? I've heard this to be true, please let me know. Thanks.

Old 12-03-2006, 07:19 PM

Yes, there are brown recluse spiders here........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee