Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 03:42 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,319,846 times

Advertisements

Hi all my city data friends!
Just thought I would give a tid bit of info that might be impressive to you as it is to me.
I went to get my tags renewed today. I remember going to do this in south FL and having to take a day off work and planning to spend at least 3 hours in line to get a car tag renewed in Palm Beach County.
I timed it today. I went to the Washington County Court House. Parked in the garage and started the clock. Walked to the elevator, waited for it, got in, went down the one floor. There were 3 people in front of me. My turn, handed the lady the slip, she looked at it (after the typical hellos and how are yous, comment on the odd weather etc.) ask me for the $24.00. I wrote the check she handed me the renewal sticker and slip, said have a nice day, I got back in the elevator, went back to the car, checked the watch.........8 and a half minutes!!!!!! I kid you not.
Yea...I LOVE TN!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 03:56 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Just thought I would give a tid bit of info that might be impressive to you as it is to me.
I went to get my tags renewed today. I remember going to do this in south FL and having to take a day off work and planning to spend at least 3 hours in line to get a car tag renewed in Palm Beach County.
I timed it today. I went to the Washington County Court House. Parked in the garage and started the clock. Walked to the elevator, waited for it, got in, went down the one floor. There were 3 people in front of me. My turn, handed the lady the slip, she looked at it (after the typical hellos and how are yous, comment on the odd weather etc.) ask me for the $24.00. I wrote the check she handed me the renewal sticker and slip, said have a nice day, I got back in the elevator, went back to the car, checked the watch.........8 and a half minutes!!!!!! I kid you not.
Yea...I LOVE TN!!!!!
That is great! I renew my tags by mail so it just costs me 39 cents and the time it takes to walk to my mailbox and back.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:01 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,213,769 times
i've had to wait for hrs in fla and nc!!! actually, the one in fla took less time. in nc, where i was, there were so many mexicans getting license and such, i swear i was like the only white person in there... not that it's a bad thing, just an observation.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:01 PM

115 posts, read 596,382 times
Can you renew them on line? I do that in NC, thus it costs me nothing.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:05 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,211,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
i've had to wait for hrs in fla and nc!!! actually, the one in fla took less time. in nc, where i was, there were so many mexicans getting license and such, i swear i was like the only white person in there... not that it's a bad thing, just an observation.
You shouldn't have to wait in line in Florida at all. You can renew by mail or online. It's been years since I've renewed in person.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:02 PM

98 posts, read 388,695 times
I go to my local tag office-courthouse-annex and stand in line for 5-10 minutes at the most. Whats the big rush anyways? LOL...I'll talk shop with whoever..I'm in no hurry.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:14 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,008,695 times
I have a license plate question. I don't remember what happened when I moved to my current state to know the procedure.

When I move to TN and register my car, what happens to my MD license plates? Should I go to Motor Vehicles with a screw driver and remove the plates in the parking lot because TN Motor Vehicle will just take them from me when I get my TN plates and send them to MD? Or does TN take them, throw them out and just notify MD? Or, am I responsible for getting my Maryland plates back to MD?

Also, if I'm getting TN plates for the first time, am I able to get one of the special plates? Do I have to wait for them beyond the 30 day period I have as a newcomer, to register my car in TN? I don't want any personalization of any kind.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:21 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,319,846 times
When I moved here from FL and changed state tags, I asked the same question, "What do I do with my FL tag?" I was told to destroy it (bend it up, preferably cut it in half) and throw it away. So I did.
As for the specialty tags, they have many of them at the court house to choose from. I got an eagle tag for the cobra and it does cost and extra $30 but that goes to the preservation of eagles and that is why I got it. Plus it has the flag on it. They have about 25 or so to choose from. I saw one with a beautiful fish on it for the fish and game society that I think you will really like

Old 04-06-2007, 09:44 AM

115 posts, read 596,382 times
is that a one time $30 or do you pay it every year?

Old 04-06-2007, 10:34 AM

61 posts, read 244,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Yea...I LOVE TN!!!!!
I think I'm missing something here. You said you went to renew your tags and paid $24.00. Is that a dollar amount based on the year of your car, or just the flat rate? Because we just renewed our tags on a 2005 Dodge Diesel Pick Up Truck, and paid over $500.00! I have a feeling I'll need to be sitting down for your answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee