U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 12:39 PM

6,290 posts, read 20,565,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkey View Post
I LOVE mockingbirds! They come around early spring, but I don't see them much after that.

Anyone know what looks yummy to them in a feeder? I'd like to have more show up in the yard.
You generally won't be able to have too many Mockingbirds in one location. They are territorial and will defend their territory. If your lot is larger enough, you might have one pair on one end of the lot and another pair on the other end, but they don't mingle very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 01:28 PM

7,281 posts, read 18,720,196 times
Yea, my cat can attest to that! LOL! Mocking birds are not only territorial but brazen, they have no problem "dive bombing" a person or cat. From what I see in my back yard, as far as them interacting with other birds, they only seem to mind the blue jays, the rest they basically ignore. Nature is amazing.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:28 PM

5,985 posts, read 3,643,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
Have you ever found a whip-o-will nest out in the woods? They will pretend they have a broken wing to lure you away from the nest. And as soon as you get within ten feet of them . . . they fly off a short piece and again pretend they can't fly.
Other birds will do this too. I've seen cardinals do it when a blacksnake was trying to raid their nest. This is probably the cause of an old fable which says that blacksnakes can "charm" birds. Back when I was growing up many elderly people believed it.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:36 PM

3,061 posts, read 7,303,666 times
I had not seen a cardinal in years, until we went to TN. We were on our way back to our hotel room after walking the parkway (in Gatlinburg),when one landed right in front of me on the sidewalk.
We'd been home about a month when lo and behold, we had a pair at the birdfeeders. They are still here. They are my favorite bird. I have out 8 feeders and all kinds of birds. The past two springs I've had Scarlet Tanagers and Baltimore Orioles. Last year, we had am Indigo bunting. Hopefully they will return this spring. I use the shepherd hooks for my bird feeders.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:48 PM

I have dozen of cardinals.

And there's a mockingbird nesting just outside my office window in a large viburnum hedgerow.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:54 PM

13,905 posts, read 2,919,257 times
Quote:
I have dozen of cardinals.

And there's a mockingbird nesting just outside my office window in a large viburnum hedgerow.
I have two families of cardinals in our yard. They are especially breathtaking in the winter, vivid bright red against the crisp white snow. They like to land on the tree in front of my picture window and I sit and watch them close up.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:09 PM

7,281 posts, read 18,720,196 times
Default More of my back yard friends :)

I found the pictures I had taken a month or so ago of the woodpecker that was very upset that I did not refill the corn block that was gone. I guess he wanted to bring our attention to it, but instead, ran into our back glass door and cleaned his clock! Poor little guy, but he was just stunned and I was able to get a few good pics of him before he stopped seeing stars and flew off.
(please don't mind my dirty old gardning shoe hehehehhehe)
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Here are some other of my friends.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 04-25-2007, 08:14 PM

Those are awsome MBMouse. Thanks

Old 04-26-2007, 05:07 AM

There's some fancy trim on the windows on the front of my house. Last spring a robin built a nest on the trim above one of the windows under the front porch. I just left it alone.

Every time I would go out the robin would flutter around and fuss at me.

Old 04-26-2007, 05:16 AM

Quote:
There's some fancy trim on the windows on the front of my house. Last spring a robin built a nest on the trim above one of the windows under the front porch. I just left it alone.

Every time I would go out the robin would flutter around and fuss at me.
Ha! I know what you mean. I have a small roof over my front door and it's a favorite nesting place for birds. Everytime I come in or go out the birds set off an alarm. It is also very visible to my cats from the window on the breeze way. They've been trying to get those birds for a long time. Thank goodness for glass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or