U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 07:46 AM

79 posts, read 228,123 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the pic of grosbeak....see them everyday couldnt fiugre out what they were....told my hubby this bird has a black hood ...hubby thought I was nuts...I jus put out the humminbird feeder, hummingbirds are nice looking in pictures but when they are outside, and they come flying by---my first reaction is to run I feel like they buzz my head on purpose jus to see me run, maybe its jus me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 07:52 AM

6,290 posts, read 20,550,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonTrish1022 View Post
Thanks for the pic of grosbeak....see them everyday couldnt fiugre out what they were....told my hubby this bird has a black hood ...hubby thought I was nuts...I jus put out the humminbird feeder, hummingbirds are nice looking in pictures but when they are outside, and they come flying by---my first reaction is to run I feel like they buzz my head on purpose jus to see me run, maybe its jus me...
If you interested, those are Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks.

Old 05-07-2007, 05:57 PM

3,061 posts, read 7,297,624 times
We used to have dozens of grosbeaks, both rosebreasted and evening grobeaks (yellow and black), but in the past few years, seldom see them. My mother said some disease was killing them off here in Maine. Sure do miss seeing them. However, I have had a pair of Scarlet Tanagers the past two years, so I am happy with those.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:59 PM

14,506 posts, read 23,184,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
If you interested, those are Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks.

how can I get them here? I am in NE Tenn. I just put out Nyjer seed- the finches love it.

This is the best thread- and I am all over the forum-

Proving (to me) Tennessee is a nice place with beautiful nature and nice people. (you too hiknapster and mb, and JMT!!!)

sunny

Old 05-07-2007, 07:05 PM

6,290 posts, read 20,550,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
how can I get them here? I am in NE Tenn. I just put out Nyjer seed- the finches love it.
Black oil sunflower seed would attract them if anything would. You might also try putting out some dried fruit, either the kind they make for birds or some raisins, and see if that helps.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:26 AM

7,281 posts, read 18,705,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
Black oil sunflower seed would attract them if anything would. You might also try putting out some dried fruit, either the kind they make for birds or some raisins, and see if that helps.
Great tip! I am going to try that, thank you.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:08 PM

22,533 posts, read 46,075,513 times
I did it! I bought birdfeeders today! One is for hummingbirds. In the other I put sunflower seed chips. I hope I did okay. I couldn't remember anyone's advice once I got to the store!

I also bought a bunch of vegetable plants that I'll keep on my deck. I got sick of waiting around, never sure if we are going to move and decided this would be a good alternative.

As soon as my husband gets home I'm going to have him move that stupid washer and then I just might have some decent outdoor space. I am so excited!

How long does it take for the birds to know that the seed is there?

Old 05-15-2007, 03:14 PM

14,506 posts, read 23,184,639 times
cool- hiknapster there are so many birds here- I bought Nyjer seed also- for finches. Someone also mentioned its good to have some water/a birdbath. Birds and squirrels everywhere!

sunny

Last edited by dreamofmonterey; 05-15-2007 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: add

Old 05-15-2007, 03:21 PM

604 posts, read 2,512,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I did it! I bought birdfeeders today! One is for hummingbirds. In the other I put sunflower seed chips. I hope I did okay. I couldn't remember anyone's advice once I got to the store!

I also bought a bunch of vegetable plants that I'll keep on my deck. I got sick of waiting around, never sure if we are going to move and decided this would be a good alternative.

As soon as my husband gets home I'm going to have him move that stupid washer and then I just might have some decent outdoor space. I am so excited!

How long does it take for the birds to know that the seed is there?
Good for you! It won't take them long to find the goodies. It depends on who's around. Maybe a couple of hours. If there are any hummingbirds around, they're particularly quick at locating the feeder.

This year I skipped the store bought hummer food and do this instead:

Boil 1 cup of water and while it's hot, stir in 1/4 cup sugar until it's dissolved. Let it cool and pour it in the feeder. I change it every five days or so, even if there's some left.

A thistle sock is great for attracting the smaller guys and can be hung just about anywhere.

Wal-Mart and Target both have a seed and berry mixture that might bring in larger birds. I've had a woodpecker woofing on that stuff.

Take pics and let us know who visits!

Old 05-15-2007, 07:32 PM

22,533 posts, read 46,075,513 times
Okay. Here's the feeders. No birds yet, but I've been out on the deck most of the day and night. Tomorrow, I'll just have to sit inside the house and wait.

Jmarkey: I had a suspicion that was just red-colored sugar water! Fortunately, I bought very little. Thanks for confirming that.

Notice the ducks in the background!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or