U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2007, 08:43 PM

3,061 posts, read 7,302,434 times

Advertisements

I want to thank whoever sent me the rose breasted grosbeaks. LOL Have had a small flock of them at my feeder for the past 4 days. My Baltimore Orioles have appeared and the hummingbirds are here. I spend more to feed the birds in the summer than in the winter. The hummers were attracted to the oriole feeder, so I got busy and put their feeders out.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 10:31 PM

6,290 posts, read 20,561,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Okay. Here's the feeders. No birds yet, but I've been out on the deck most of the day and night. Tomorrow, I'll just have to sit inside the house and wait.

Jmarkey: I had a suspicion that was just red-colored sugar water! Fortunately, I bought very little. Thanks for confirming that.
Might take them a little longer to find the food this time of year because they have so many other choices (plus they're out raising little birds). Still, they'll come eventually.

By the way, they make a bird bath type of thing you can attach right to your deck. There's a small one, and a large one. I find it really handy. I have a big concrete birdbath out in the yard, but sometime when I come home I really don't want to drag the hose out and refill it. With the one on the deck I can just take an old plastic coffee can of water out and fill it up.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:26 AM

22,538 posts, read 46,113,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
Might take them a little longer to find the food this time of year because they have so many other choices (plus they're out raising little birds). Still, they'll come eventually.

By the way, they make a bird bath type of thing you can attach right to your deck. There's a small one, and a large one. I find it really handy. I have a big concrete birdbath out in the yard, but sometime when I come home I really don't want to drag the hose out and refill it. With the one on the deck I can just take an old plastic coffee can of water out and fill it up.
My landlord lives two houses down and he's been putting out lots of bird seed at the end of the street, so that is where all the birds are going. I guess they'll find it eventually.

Thanks for the birdbath tip. I had no idea! I will look into that!

I have my vegetables in pots now. Do you think that it would be okay to put them near the birdfeeders? Would the birds eat the bugs for me?

Old 05-16-2007, 06:38 AM

Here's my feeders with the plants next to it. Is this too close?

And here it is without the plants. The family of ducks are in the background. They are coming back from the creek!

Old 05-16-2007, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I have my vegetables in pots now. Do you think that it would be okay to put them near the birdfeeders? Would the birds eat the bugs for me?
They might. They might also peck your vegetables, according to what you have planted. But they're probably going to be too interested in the feeder to care much about anything else.

By the way, I'm not sure what you paid for those hulled sunflower seeds, but the raw black oil seeds will work just as well. I buy them in the 50-pound bag. They've gone up quite a bit in the past couple of years; I'm now paying about $20 a bag for them. You can also get them in 25-pound bags. It's a lot cheaper to buy them that way than in the small bags they sell in the grocery store.

If you do get the black oil seed, you might also throw some around on the ground as well as put them in the feeder. Some birds prefer to eat off the ground rather than a feeder.

You might want to move the container with the tomato plant to the farther side away from the feeder.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:18 AM

They've found it! They are having a great time out there!

Old 05-16-2007, 09:27 AM

Is that a nuthatch? I can't really tell from the photo, but it looks like one.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:36 AM

I'll be darned if I know! I think I need to wash my windows or something!

That little bird and his friend are having a great time out there!

I'll work on better pictures! This is absolutely GREAT!!!!!

Old 05-16-2007, 09:42 AM

I'm pretty sure it's a white-breasted nuthatch.

Old 05-16-2007, 04:43 PM

Nuthatch! Kind of like my house. No wonder the bird likes it here!

Actually him and his little friend have been feasting all day and they are starting to look REALLY fat!

Thanks AlleyCat. I really appreciate you!

Now this guy is sitting in the tree above the deck. I guess he's scoping us out!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or