U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 04:52 PM

17 posts, read 98,902 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how Oakridge is to live in? It seems to be close to Knoxville (for school) but not actually in the city. I am not sure I want to live in a big city - and for me - just about anything with more then 30,000 seems big.

and thanks for any and all help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2007, 05:34 PM

41 posts, read 169,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smswkpk View Post
Does anyone know how Oakridge is to live in? It seems to be close to Knoxville (for school) but not actually in the city. I am not sure I want to live in a big city - and for me - just about anything with more then 30,000 seems big.

I've been to Oak Ridge several times, and it seem to be a nice town. I even have relatives who've lived there since the 1950's.... and none of them glow in the dark!

Old 04-15-2007, 05:36 PM

604 posts, read 2,514,115 times
Going back through your posts, I see you're coming down from CT (we did too! ), and that you may be able to check out the area a little before deciding on a place to live.

Go into City Data and pull up pictures of Oak Ridge. There are a couple of the "downtown" area that I took. I think if you explore Oak Ridge, you'll find that population is spread out and there really aren't any congested traffic areas. It's pretty low stress getting around town.

There may be other, smaller towns surrounding Knoxville that would suit you better. I personally like Oak Ridge very much.

Good luck!

Old 04-15-2007, 05:50 PM
Jza

223 posts, read 301,930 times
I definitely want to check out Oak Ridge. It strikes me as the "tech" town around those parts like Parsippany is here in NJ. Would that be accurate?

Old 04-15-2007, 07:13 PM

7,281 posts, read 18,713,277 times
Check out all the posts by LauraC. She is moving there soon and has done a BUNCH of research on the area and posted a lot of it. Use the search function at the top of this page and search all posts by LauraC and that should give you a wealth of info on Oak Ridge. Also some great tips on how to search for just the right place for you.

Old 04-16-2007, 08:57 AM

119 posts, read 344,091 times
We will be moving to Oak Ridge in a couple of weeks. We have loved it down there every time we've made a trip. People seem very friendly. There isn't an overabundance of shopping, but there is enough that you don't need to go into Knoxville for every little thing. But Knoxville is just about 15 or 20 mins away if you need anything else. There is a great hospital there. The cost of living seems to be much less than from where we are now (South-central Indiana). The schools are top-rated. Overall we think we are going to LOVE it in Oak Ridge.

So I would recommend you do more research. I definitely think it is a good area and my family and I are looking forward to the move.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:55 AM

3,454 posts, read 6,440,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jza View Post
I definitely want to check out Oak Ridge. It strikes me as the "tech" town around those parts like Parsippany is here in NJ. Would that be accurate?
Hmm...Parsippany is a tech town? (I worked in Pine Brook and now Fairfield).

Oak Ridge strikes me as a brainy town (I know they have tons of MBA's and doctorates there). The schools are supposed to be stellar and it's got great cultural stuff (symphony, museums, etc.).

Seems to be a very forward-thinking town from what I hear, and seems to be the trendy place to move to.

We're looking for something more off the beaten track, maybe not as popular as Oak Ridge. I feel like we're going to wind up in Roane county somewhere...

Old 04-16-2007, 11:41 AM

17 posts, read 98,902 times
Thanks so much for the info - and the explanation on how to use this site - that will definitely be a huge help.

I love the idea of moving - but, gosh - it is soooooo difficult to decide where!

so all of your help - is hugely appreciated.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:07 PM

3,269 posts, read 8,727,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jza View Post
I thought Oak Ridge was nothing like Parsippany...but then I never in a million years would have thought of Parsippany as a tech town. What makes you think that? Oak Ridge was decent, a lot of older houses mixed in with subdivisions. Schools are great...Living so close to the Lab scares me, but then I am overly paranoid about stuff like that.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:04 AM

33,950 posts, read 32,406,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smswkpk View Post

You should know that the town has plans to grow to 35,000 by I think, 2012. There are developments in the works to do just that.

Don't know what you are majoring in, at school, but the advantage of living in the Oak Ridge area (including Knoxville) may be an opportunity to intern on the Oak Ridge reservation. Three Oak Ridge high school students, this past year, interened there and won the very prestigious national Siemens Award, a $100,000 top prize for developing a technique that could help scientists engineer biofuel from plants. They thought it was so promising that the Oak Ridge National Laboratory received an $800,000 grant to continue research into the high school students methods for engineering biofuel.

If you are interested in technology, you probably know about the most powerful supercomputer in the world located at the Oak Ridge National Lab. If you are interested and want to read about it, go here to read the April 11, 2007 government press release:

http://www.ornl.gov/info/press_relea...=mr20070411-00

I'm in my 50s. I've done a lot of research on the Oak Ridge area but honestly I have no idea about what would interest a college student. I'll list some things about Oak Ridge but again, I don't know if they would interest you as a student/younger person. I'll leave out the public school quality stuff since you are beyond high school:

You can read the daily Oak Ridger newspaper online to find out what's going on in the town and its schools. The Oak Ridger Community page talks about upcoming events. If you have Adobe Acrobat you can read the Oak Ridge Observer weekly newspaper archives online. This weekly newspaper is free on the street and they have a community calendar type of page that lists all upcoming events in the town.

Population: 28,000 Square miles: 85.5 square miles (note: the government owns a lot of those 85 square miles for the Oak Ridge Reservation)

State Income Tax: none - Sales tax: 9.75%

Oak Ridge has 1,282 acres of parkland or 46 acres per 1,000 people. In addition, the city has more than 1,300 acres of greenbelt, which are left in their natural state.

Oak Ridge has more than 70 restaurants and 700 hotel rooms.

There's a Belk's (like a Macy’s), JC Penney, Sears, Wal-Mart Supercenter, K-Mart, Outback, Ruby Tuesday, Starbucks, Panera Bread, Books-A-Million, Stagecoach Steakhouse, Staples, Home Depot, multiplex movie theater as well as every fast food place imaginable right in the town. Major shopping can be done in adjacent West Knoxville malls. If you want to know about what's in the town, use an online yellow pages.

Churches of all kinds are in Oak Ridge but there are more Baptist Churches than other kinds.

There is a Secret City Festival (has its own website) held every June with World War II reenactments, a robot, foot races, food, entertainment, etc. They have 4th of July fireworks at the lake and a Christmas parade. They have cardboard boat races, a street painting fair at the community college, a film festival and a turbo turtle race to raise money for charity. They participate in Knoxville's Dogwood Arts festival.

Oak Ridge was built in secrecy during World War II as a major site of the "Manhattan Project," a massive wartime effort which produced the world's first atomic weapons. If you are interested in the history of the town, you can get DVDs online (there are 2) for wartime Oak Ridge and post WWII Oak Ridge or you can pick them up at the science museum. There is also a book called "City Behind The Fence" for the war years.

The University of Tennessee Arboretum in Oak Ridge is an official wildlife observation area. The Arboretum (it’s free) features 2,500 species of plants.

The Oak Ridge Community Playhouse is the longest continuously running theater in the Southeast.

The American Museum of Science and Energy opened in 1949. They also have an art center and a civic center.

More than 200 species of birds, including 100 migratory, have been documented on the Oak Ridge Reservation (government property). The reservation conducts "walks" on the reservation at specific times of the year to see flora and fauna. They also hold hunts on the reservation, most recently, one for turkeys.

The Oak Ridge Outdoor Swimming Pool is one of the largest outdoor spring-fed pools in the nation. There is an indoor one, as well.

Methodist Medical Center is a major regional medical facility serving five counties.

Oak Ridge has 23 tennis courts, 14 athletic fields, nine neighborhood playgrounds, a skate park (believe this is still closed after vandalism) and three golf courses.

Workforce strengths of Oak Ridge include more than 2,300 PhDs.

Oak Ridge has dedicated 11 greenways with more planned for the future.

The Oak Ridge Rowing Course on Melton Hill Lake is one of the top three courses in the United States and Oak Ridge is one of three cities to host the US Rowing Nationals. As many as 6,000 rowers from all over the U.S. and Canada visit for Spring Training.

Haw Ridge Park has more than 20 miles of mountain biking and horseback riding trails.

At one time, the state record striped bass was caught in Melton Hill Lake. There is a public fishing pier near the boat launch.

More than 1,500 of the best archers in the nation visit Oak Ridge annually to compete for $80,000 in the Realtree Tennessee Pro/Am tournament at the Oak Ridge Sportsman Association. The event is also one of two qualifying events for the ESPN Great Outdoor Games. The have a gun competition at one of the sportsmen's clubs but I don't recall the name of it.

The Children's Museum of Oak Ridge is located in an original Manhattan Project schoolhouse.

Oak Ridge has a symphony, children's show choir, community band, chorus, playhouse, junior playhouse. I also believe there is a ballet but not 100% sure.

Among many organizations, I know there is a camera club.

Every Saturday night in July and August, there are outdoor concerts

The Oak Ridge Public Library contains more than 10,000 volumes and is home to the Oak Ridge Story Room, which holds documents and photographs from the city's history.

Oak Ridge is within 45 minutes of 4 State Parks, the Obed Wild and Scenic River and the Museum of Appalachia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee