U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 02:54 PM

83 posts, read 368,040 times

Advertisements

So I am back from a wonderful vacation /looking to relocate visit. We saw and did so much in 8 days and still feel like I missed so much. First let me say that all that sing Tennessee's praises, believe what they say. The state is absolutely beautiful, with some of the most friendly relaxed people you will ever meet. Ok so here's what we did and saw, might have to break up post

1. Left Orlando and arrived around 1130 in Chattanooga. Beautiful clean city, that has been revitalized, Art statues on sidewalks. Visited Ruby Falls, really cool mile walk through caverns to this immense underground water fall. Then to the Incline Railroad, whihch I thought was cool and my husband thought lame. Rock City most amazing and beautiful and a little tripy place. we saw 7 states all at once, amazing views, really fun walk through the rocks and over swinging bridges. As I walked through, I felt such relaxation and calm can't explain it. It does have some weird fairy cavern were you walk through and there are neon 70's figures behind bars in different fairytale scenarios. My girls thought it was cool. Drove through downtown Chattanooga, really liked it, small yet clean.

2. Drove up 75 to 321 which took us through Maryville, which is where we are looking to relocate. Very beautiful area, has every convenience you could want. I do have to say that downtown Maryville does need some work,its very cute but a lot of the stores are gone. Its coming though. We drove all over Maryville looking at houses, we could not get over how beautiful it was and also sadd that there were these areas that you could tell use to be farm land with huge houses all close together. I confess we did look in a few of the older housing communities that had about an acre of land between houses. We went to a little county restaurant called Gina's which was between a gas station and tanning place that was voted best burger, had breakfast and it was wonderful. They remembered us and treated us like family when we returned asking if we had found our house yet. I felt so comfortable and welcomed. They were happy to answer any question. We found this to be true also at the Huddle house on the the way out of town towards Townsend.
3.We drove into Pigeon Forge via 321, which dumps you out at traffic light #3I think someone said to go this way here on the forum and boy were they right. The scenery is amazing, no traffic, but you have to like windy roads up and over the mountain. LOL Wicked fun, gives you the butterflies in the stomach. We camped at Shady Oaks camp ground in Pigeon Forge, ummm, only camp here if you really want local flavor. I thought it was great and the little old lady that runs it is pure county, I counted 6 deer heads on her living room wall. We stayed in a A frame cabin with a heater, beds are old, and there is only 1 key to all the cabin doors so don't leave valueables. Again the people were still really nice but I would not stay here if you want that beautiful vacation. I personally loved it and got a great nights sleep, my husband will tell you another story.LOL We went to Dollywood, which coming from orlando, I discovered that I am an amusement Park snob. Great for kids, lots of rides for them.
4. As a side note, my feelings on Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg, I hope that there is more to these two places than what we saw, hotel after hotel, pancake house after pancake house, mini golf and go kart places mile after mile along Pigeon Forge, went to Gatlinburg, YOU MUST GO TO THE PANCAKE PANTRY!!! But again tshirt shops and hotels, but there was this underlying beauty of the Smokey mountains that is being covered by touristy glitz.

This is to be continued have to feed the kids and figure out how to post pics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 04:49 PM

117 posts, read 432,827 times
Sounds like you had a successfull, relaxing trip! I know what you mean about Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg, hopefuly there is more to these cities than the tourist shops. The mountains are very beautiful and TN is very calm, peaceful. can't wait to see you pics!

Old 04-17-2007, 04:58 PM

11,603 posts, read 31,766,251 times
Thanks for the travel report!

And believe me, I understand completely what you mean about Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. Especially Pigeon Forge.

But I'm glad you mentioned the Pancake Pantry in Gatlinburg. It's sooooo good! And you might be interested to know they have a location in Nashville, too, in Hillsboro Village just south of Vanderbilt.

Old 04-17-2007, 05:33 PM

117 posts, read 432,827 times
When I visit again, I plan on going through Gatlinburg again. I will definitely make a note to visit the pancake pantry.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:48 PM

7,281 posts, read 18,701,492 times
Glad you enjoyed your trip. I agree with you about Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg, but to see the "nicer" places of those towns, you do have to go a block or so off the main drag. As for the Pancake Pantry..........to anyone that goes there often I do have a question...............is that waitresses hair real or a wig???? I do love the food but we were a bit floored with that tall white hair!! hahahahahahaha

Old 04-18-2007, 07:36 AM

4 posts, read 14,541 times
that's the problem with visitors that never get off the beaten path. if you don't do your research, you won't find your jewel. there is 1 path that's heavily travelled - the main road from the interstate all the way through gatlinburg. it's a vacation destination, of course it's gonna be "glitzy" or "touristy", most towns who cater to tourists are, but there is much much more! i hope you found that in comparison (disney to dollywood) the people traffic wasn't as unbearable in dollywood, food was more plentiful (without a reservation) and the weather was more tolerable at dollywood by a longshot! these mountains, valleys, rivers and creeks will be the next florida & boom town. in a few years everyone will want to live in the mountains or own a piece of them in some way. right now, it's still heaven on earth.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:39 AM

But I did find my jewel and I did see less traffic and the weather was to die for. I was just saying that I was saddened by the beauty of the Smokies being over powered by Tshirt shops. Oh by the way I did a lot of research and being that it was my first time to Tennessee, You do the touristy stuff, but I did spend more time looking at houses and getting a more local feel in Townsend and Maryville. Ok so to continue......

Old 04-18-2007, 08:43 AM

These pictures are of downtown Chattanooga from Ruby Falls,The Red Barn across from the BunkHouse Inn, and Camping at Litle River Campgrounds in Townsend.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:17 AM

Ok so after our stay ay Shady Oaks Campground
We drove through Sevierville and up through Knoxville, The downtown was not as nice as Chattanooga but lots of work is being done. There is a cool part called Old City that was I guess the original city, with funky shops and restaurants. We stayed in Stawberry Plains, which is soooo rural, but yes we found a SuperWalmart. LOL There were skunk wars or mating season out back of the hotel all night that brought a lovely smell to the hotel all night. Made me laugh, but wow. We headed to Litton's for lunch in Fountain City, which had the best atmosphere, burgers, hand cut fries and homemade onion rings,I have tasted in a long time. I can't say enough about the people of Tennessee, they had me dropping all my learned Florida defenses down in a minute and I was chattin with the best of them. LOL

We did not get into the outer areas of Knoxville, because my husband fell in love with Maryville and wanted to go back and spend more time there.

Soo we drove back which by the way is super close for all you commuters. We found the traffic insignificant.Nothing like I-4 through Orlando.
Sooo my thoughts on Maryville are this its wonderful, the schools are great, the high school is huge, easy access to Knoxville and Chattanooga and Smokies. We went to a double feature at the drive in on Friday night that was awesome. They have a Mall. Houses are affordable if you stay away from the MCMansion sub divisions. Maryville College is Beautiful. Not many hotels, you have to stay in Alcoa or Townsend. I recommend the BunkHouse Inn with its great little coffee shop, Thunderhead Perk, out front fresh roasted coffee from Maryville. He has six rooms all great themes with the river running out back and resident skunk who we did not see and raccoon who came up the bank and scared me to death, but I put bread out. LOL I toatally recommend The Little River Villiage cAmp ground, they have camping cabins but we tented it not expecting it to drop into the low 30's, we checked the weather and they said 40's. Believe me 10 degrees makes a difference.

I know I am forgetting stuff so ask. I absolutely love the Peacefull side of the mountain. I would live here in a heart beat. The mountains are awe inspiring. Do not worry about making friends because we did. I will write more as I think of it. I was looking at my pictures. I guess I took for video. LOL You guys are so lucky to live in such a beautiful place.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:06 AM

7,281 posts, read 18,701,492 times
Thanks for sharing your great pictures and adventures on your tip, we appreciate you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or