U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 10:56 AM

197 posts, read 934,684 times

Advertisements

Yes, I'm driving to Knoxville / Morristown area this evening.....5 1/2 hours for a job interview all day tomorrow.....just got a call from HR manager 30 minutes ago....they're making hotel arrangements and sending me directions, etc. If that goes well, my plans may become a reality....I will try to stick around the area later tomorrow and see whatever I can, but will have to be back in Indianapolis by Friday....it's gonna be a flash trip. I will just drive safely and do my best on the interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 10:58 AM

7,281 posts, read 18,713,277 times
Congrats! Yes, drive safely, remember to breath and you will do fine,
Wishing you all the luck I can.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:01 AM

3,893 posts, read 9,366,643 times
Good luck!

Old 04-18-2007, 12:11 PM

119 posts, read 344,091 times
Congratulations to you!!!! You'll have to let us know how it goes.

When/if you drive by Bloomington you can think of your fellow Hoosier turning to a better life in TN!

Which way are you driving? You taking 65 probably right??? We are enough off of 65 we take 50 to 150 to 64 to 75.

Old 04-18-2007, 03:48 PM

7 posts, read 26,333 times
Congrats!! Good luck!

Old 04-20-2007, 10:57 PM

Thanks everybody for the positive thinking.....everything went very well, now, I have to be patient and wait....but let's start from the beginning:

Wednesday morning - April 18 - I received a call from the Sales Director of the company wishing to talk to me on the phone regarding my current position, we spoke for 10 minutes and he asked me if I would be available for an interview personally on Friday of the same week.....I said YES.

Just to clarify....the company that I work for today is being purchased by this large corporation in East TN.....therefore....they're checking the profile of the current work force and checking whether there is an interest or not in "absorbing" some of the employees that are willing to relocate.

Wednesday 2:00 PM my wife called me mentioning that a HR person called my home and left a message.....simultaneously I checked my cell phone voice mail and there was a message from the HR contact......I called her back. The request was if I would be available to be next day at their location for interviews....I accepted it. They offered to pay my expenses. I mentioned that I would not be able to leave immediately and would rather drive which would give me more flexibility to finish my day and also on my trip back.....therefore I would be leaving Indianapolis around 6:30 PM and arriving at the hotel around mid night in the Morristown area.

3:00 PM I received a detailed agenda from the HR area, including hotel reservations, directions and the schedule that would start at 10:00 AM with a profile test, background and educational check. From 11:00 AM to 5:00 PM several interviews starting with the area director (including lunch with him).....tough day would be ahead.....I confirmed receipt of the agenda....finished my working day....stopped home....packed a suit and left to TN....."hit the road Jack......" :-) My 24 hrs of knoxville started......(It reminds me of the 24 hrs. of Le Mans, without the super fast cars)..lol

Nice drive going south on I-65 through Lousville......64 East through Lexington, KY......I-75 south towards Knoxville and kept going East after reaching K'ville around 11:45 PM.

Two interesting things when getting closer to K'ville.....the road was "foggy" at the mountains.....and I had to laugh when I saw a sign with the name of this creek: "Stinking Creek"....have you seen that ?? It really gave me some good thought for the rest of my trip...."Why give the name of a creek....stinking creek....I don't know....called it something else.....but it was funny....original the least....by the way....I'm not criticizing....just making a comment.....

Beautiful view of the downtown K'ville coming from North and driving East.....a few buildings with the lights on them....pretty.

Well, went right to bed because needed to be rested for the next day. Very friendly hotel staff and people that I met.....very noticeable southern accent...which I really like it....specially on the ladies....very charming.

Full day of interview with different people.....long lunch with possible new boss.....and left the place 5:20 PM. Initial feedback by the end of the day positive with one pending issue.....$$$.....according to them.....salaries in TN are not as high as up North....I will have to wait for a possible offer the next couple of weeks....I know cost of living is less expensive but coming from Indiana I will not have the advantage of people coming from places that houses are more expensive....at the same time....I may be able to sell my home quicker depending on the offer....

I drove back and stopped at a couple of subdvisions I had seen only by internet and the drive from the job location to East Knox Co. was great.....clear highway....beautiful day and took me 40 miles (40 minutes). I drive 29 miles today and use between 40 to 45 minutes in Indianapolis due to traffic.....You have to get used to East TN but it does not take long for you to get used to it.....the hills and mountains are beautiful but coming from a place like Indiana where it is as flat as a pancake.....you can get a bit lost because your visibility is restricted....you can't see long distances.....lots of trees, hills and curvy roads make the driving interesting.....

I was in the Carter Area for 40 minutes and so far I liked it.....the houses that I saw on Yahoo Maps (aerial view) are not in a flat terrain as I thought.....oh boy....no......nope....the subdvision is in a nice hill and the houses are beautiful when you look at them......but kids will have to be perhaps more carefull when playing in the street because of the hills.....I noticed a large amount of electricity cables and lines .... much more than here in Indiana.....in the beginning it disturbs a little...but you get used to it.....the subdvision I saw has underground utilities....however, you still can see a main electrical line crossing through it.....no big deal for me considering that my possible house is not too close to it......some homes have beautiful views of the mountains....but you would have to choose a home on the top of hill for that.....personal choice I believe.....I drove by the Carter Parker, I saw a playground...looked very well taken care....of course 40 minutes is nothing....I definitely will need to spend a weekend or a few days in the area to get a real feeling....

I know....such a long story...but I really liked (I still did not say I love it, I believe that will come with time) and now I have to wait for a job offer.....and I wish it comes.....the drive back was easy....by the way, I stopped at a McDonald's North of K'ville already at I-75 and saw a brand new hospital being finished and with a hiring sign.....does anyone know more about it....absolutely beautiful construction.....

I'll have to wait now and hope they don't want to cut my current paycheck much :-), not sure if I can take a cut....

Old 04-20-2007, 11:31 PM

22,534 posts, read 46,102,156 times
That would be St. Mary's, my friend. You were one exit down from me. I'm at Raccoon Valley Road. Yes, this area is an acquired taste. Thanks for being honest.

And there is so much more to this area, as I am sure you know. This is the southern part of the country. People looking to just find a cheap place to live, will sorely be disappointed. I'm not saying that is what you are looking for.

And then there is the job issue, and the pay.

I keep thinking that this will be the place for retirees coming from Florida, ticked off about their homeowners insurance, will settle. Mostly Hawk's Bluff and Crossville.

And I am also convinced that mid-westerners loved Fort Myers, FL because it was also flat as a pancake. I came from the hills, and was happy to get back to them. But it makes mid-westerners nervous. I don't blame you, we gravitate towards what we know.

Yes. There is a lot of fog. That is why it is called the Smokies. Really.

Well, anyways, good luck on the position. I'm sure that your stay is not enough to give the area justice. And I'm sure that you liked it just fine. It's just that this are is now touted as "The Promised Land."

It's just Tennessee. To many of us, it is heaven, but I can't see it being everyone's cup of tea.

Sorry I missed you, friend.

Old 04-21-2007, 08:43 AM

7,281 posts, read 18,713,277 times
So glad the trip went well and thank you so much for giving us a trip report and your views of the area. Good luck on the job, let us know what happens.

Old 04-21-2007, 12:20 PM

Thanks for the comments and believe me, it's much better the mountains than the flat terrain that gets boring pretty fast....I'm excited and looking forward to receive a good offer.....next step is to plan the weekend trip with family and really get to know the area. Don't take me wrong....I really...really liked the area and believe I can live very well on East TN. Perhaps I can live better even with a pay cut.....by the end of the day, there is no income tax right ?

Old 04-21-2007, 01:09 PM

22,534 posts, read 46,102,156 times
No income tax. HUGE sales tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or