Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 07:12 PM

142 posts, read 343,284 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the responses so far. I have some relatives who grew up in the old south and ometimes I think they cling to old perspectives. Also being from up north I think there is a lot of misinformation about the south , so I wanted to hear the truth from folks who live their.

Being an artist in most cases means a limited income, especially when relocating . I'm sure with time though things will get easier. I think it's time for a change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 11:20 PM

7,534 posts, read 17,221,758 times
$300-$600 mo for 2-3 bedrooms is going to put you in the ghetto or the countryside.

Okay, maybe not that drastic, but you'd have to live mostly in outlying counties of the major metro areas, especially the ones considered artistic - Chattanooga, Knoxville and Nashville. Don't discount Memphis, but...

There are some threads on race issues in TN cities. Just use the search function. In general people here are live and let live, apathetic towards race. You won't find a lot of support for ideas like affirmative action as native TN'eans tend to be very libertarian, hands-off. There are a small number of white people who think that black people are dumb and less evolved. (Then again, there are a small number of black people who think that white people are ignorant and arrogant.) It's pretty much like anywhere else in mid-sized-city America.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:56 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
West Tennessee is no place for a liberal, and it lacks a lot of the amenities that make the rest of the state interesting. I really would aim for Knoxville or Chattanooga if you can be flexible enough to consider a roommate or part time mundane job in order to make the numbers work out.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:58 PM

2 posts, read 7,933 times
If you're still looking, there's always Cookeville. We're about an hour and a half away from Nashville, Knoxville, and Chattanooga. We're a college town, and there is a small but vibrant art community. Overall, the political climate seems to lean to the right, but there are plenty of liberals around. Also, I think most of the apartments would fall within your price range.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:56 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn5 View Post
Sewanee, TN is home to the University of the South. It's just teaming with artistic folks and is within an hour of Chattanooga. It would be wonderful living on top of that beautiful mountain, with gorgeous scenery in every direction, and have like-minded folks around. You'd be welcome there without a doubt, and I think the price range would fit, too!! Good luck to u
You're right on all counts, but I'm afraid given the finances mentioned, the OP won't find what they are looking for in Sewanee. Even the natives have been/are being priced out.

They might have better luck looking next door at Monteagle or Tracy City.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:11 PM

16 posts, read 74,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artriotnow View Post
What are race relations like in Tennessee? Do folks get along in general despite differences? Are their diverse friendships both platonic and intimate? Any ethnic profiling or incidents of racism? Denial of housing or jobs due to race? Refusal of service? Hate crimes? What areas or towns should one avoid if any? Any issues of police racism toward minorities on the highways or otherwise?

To some these may seem like silly questions, but as a minority and african american, these are issues I unfortunately have to deal with and consider on a regular basis. time as a kid and now I am an adult.

From what I have read it sounds like Tennessee may not be San Francisco, but it has changed a lot and is very tolerant. I even suspect in 10-20 years there could be a huge boom of jobs, construction and population from people who have relocated. However, I have noticed there appear to still be pockets of racism and segregation now and then, which I find a little disturbing. I don't know if I would take too kindly to being called the "N" word, though I have dealt with that before. I am from the north and I can't say it's perfect. In fact there are many places that are segregated up north. I think racism is just more hidden up north perhaps that's the only real difference between the north and south.

With that being said, I've had friends who were of many nationalities and different sexual orientations. I've even dated people who were Asian, White, and of my own race. I'm a free thinker, very friendly, not easy to anger. However, If something is on my mind that I don't like, I'm not opposed to saying how I feel. I've always felt comfortable and safe living this way and plan to live the same way I always have if I relocate to Tennessee. So I hope I won't be expected to act any differently in Tennessee, and that I will be respected even though I might be a "yankee outsider" who is a little different.

This is sort of a follow up to part of my last post, but I would love to here opinions about race and race relations in Tennessee and please don't think that I am making any indictments or negative prejudgements. I'm just looking to know all the facts before I move - the good and bad.
Tennesseans are not racist, it sounds like your the racist

Old 11-20-2009, 02:54 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,507,453 times
Just south of Cookeville...

Appalachian Center for Craft | Tennessee Tech University

Old 11-20-2009, 03:11 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashMike View Post
Tennesseans are not racist, it sounds like your the racist
A true Tennessean wouldn't make this comment.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:44 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,506,497 times
Artriotnow, if you haven't heard of some program in Chattanooga set up to help relocating artists, check it out. Unfortunately, I'm really thin on details, but you shouldn't have to look too hard to find info. I recall reading about it several months ago. Good luck.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:11 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times
I'm a die hard conservative - well, for the most part - so I can't help you on liberal areas. But as for artsy areas, I agree that Cookeville and Chattanooga might be good. Chatty is gorgeous too, a nice little bonus! Maybe Murfreesboro too? It's a college town and has apartments for college kids that seem reasonably priced. Not sure if you have to be a student at MTSU, but you could look into it. I just drive through each day, but don't stop. Not a city person at all myself. I like my town of less than 200 people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee