Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 09:41 PM

28 posts, read 68,231 times

Advertisements

HI guys,

I am from Omaha and my son just got laid off. It seems hard to find a job around Knoxville. He has a BS in Business and wants us to move down there because his sister lives in Oak Ridge. I live with my son due to MS.
Kathy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 11:27 PM

80 posts, read 257,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Once again, the state's crime rank is high, only because of Memphis, which has a VERY high crime rate.

By the way, CQ has consistently been criticized for their misreading of the federal crime stats. Either way, I don't think it really matters. Memphis is really, really bad, but the rest of the state doesn't come close.

I'm with you, Jab. Rural can be like from another planet, around these parts!
We would all like to say it is all because of Memphis, but that isn't the truth, and you know it unless you live in a gated community or resort community.

Nashville - Nashville Scene - Pith in the Wind - Forbes Ranks Nashville Ninth Most Dangerous City

Quote:
Using the FBI's total number of rapes, robberies, murders and vicious beat downs for 2008, the business mag crowned Memphis runner-up to urban wasteland Detroit. No surprises there. The shock comes at the edge of the Top 10, with Nashville beating out Katrina-ravaged New Orleans AND blight-bitten Baltimore.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:57 AM

7,524 posts, read 17,164,051 times
If you go to the actual Forbes article, that's a very odd picture of Nashville. *Is* that Nashville? If you showed me that picture, I'd have no idea what city it was. Weird.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:43 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,155,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychop1 View Post
We would all like to say it is all because of Memphis, but that isn't the truth, and you know it unless you live in a gated community or resort community.
I have no idea what you are talking about and I live in an older suburban area of Knoxville. Sorry. This place is like Mayberry compared to Florida. Really. Friendlier than the rural areas, too!

Old 07-17-2009, 09:07 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,272,242 times
OK, we live north of Nashville and don't agree with TN being high crime. My husband worked in corrections for 20 years and we moved to TN to get away from the crime back in CT & NY.

We love living here in TN; you should come down and check it out for yourself.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:47 PM

115 posts, read 318,638 times
More recent stats.
http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/City...8_Rank_Rev.pdf

Old 07-17-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
That list is from 1999.

Just for kicks, I checked Florida, anyway. There's 2 in the top 10, 4 in the top 20 and 13 in the top 92. Also Worcester, Ma, the boring little city that I am from is 115.

It also has Memphis at 20, and I think it is MUCH higher now.

But once again, this list is really OLD.
THe list is from 2004. Not from 1999.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:00 PM

2009. TN ranks 45/50 as worst for crime.

http://os.cqpress.com/rankings/Crime...kings_2009.pdf

http://os.cqpress.com/rankings/Crime...ethodology.pdf

Of course when it comes to statisics:
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."
- Mark Twain's Own Autobiography: The Chapters from the North American Review

Old 07-17-2009, 07:57 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,155,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptin2010 View Post
2009. TN ranks 45/50 as worst for crime.

http://os.cqpress.com/rankings/Crime...kings_2009.pdf

http://os.cqpress.com/rankings/Crime...ethodology.pdf

Of course when it comes to statisics:
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."
- Mark Twain's Own Autobiography: The Chapters from the North American Review
True.

There are people on this forum that swear that TN gets a bad rap because they report their crime stats differently. I've heard a local newscaster say it. I don't know. I know that the so-called "ghetto" in Knoxville looks like Kindergarten compared to some towns in Florida.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:07 PM

37,767 posts, read 40,897,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEANNE61 View Post
jabogitlu .. AHHHH. . . '' has been a 'cool' summer ??? what part of tenn. are yo u from ?? its been hot as hell-0 here in adamsville tn . . in the 90's everyday for wks now ..
I looked at the thermometer in the car the other day and saw it was ONLY 82 degrees and wondered why my body was producing a river at 10:00 in the morning. You could wring out my hair and my eyes needed windshield wipers. With no rain, my glasse and camera have to continuously have the moisture wiped off from the "steaming up" from coming out of an air conditioned car. I laugh at the local TV weatherman when he says it's going to be cooler and then gives the air quality. Forget about the pollen count, just tell me about the humidity. You know that cool snap you usually feel on Long Island around Labor Day when the kids go back to school? That doesn't happen here until the end of October.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee