U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 11:54 AM

2,227 posts, read 7,428,977 times

Advertisements

jupiter is sooo nice. i am from the area (pbc) originally... no complaints at all about jupiter... just too expensive. but it's a nice town, good schools, low crime... it would be a nice place to live if it wasnt so expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 12:22 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,087,604 times
Default How About Sevierville, TN

Last summer I went to Sevierville, Tn. which is next to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg.........while very touristy, the town of Sevierville was pleasant, housing was fairly reasonable, but there were not JOBS...........
and only one WALMART to service three towns, our realtor was not at all interested in selling property, she showed us three homes and said that was it.
We went out on our own and found several houses that were in our range but were at least 20 miles from Walmart and no other stores around.
While the Smoky Mountains were beautiful to go through, it was a nice place to visit, but not for me personally.
The most friendly person I actually talked with was a lady in Walmart behind me and she was from the West Coast of Fl.

While this area is somewhat cheap to live.........its a nice place to visit
but not for me to live.

Old 04-21-2007, 12:56 PM

2,227 posts, read 7,428,977 times
very true. tn has always been around, and now all of a sudden, everyone wants to live there. i guess fla is too expensive now, and ny'ers are trying to find the next cheap place to live, imo.

Old 04-21-2007, 12:59 PM

11,614 posts, read 31,815,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
very true. tn has always been around, and now all of a sudden, everyone wants to live there. i guess fla is too expensive now, and ny'ers are trying to find the next cheap place to live, imo.
It's not just New Yorkers who are fleeing Florida. I'm a 5th generation Floridian, and my family couldn't wait to leave, too. The three families from Florida (Citrus County, Hillsborough County, St Lucie County) who showed up at my church here in Knoxville last week are also all native Floridians.

There are certainly a lot of Half Backs who are moving to TN and NC, but don't discount the native Floridians who are being squeezed out of FL, too.

Old 04-21-2007, 02:19 PM

22,538 posts, read 46,123,072 times
Not enough Walmarts so they went back to Florida?

Old 04-21-2007, 05:19 PM

47 posts, read 158,771 times
Cookeville is considered one of the most affordable towns in the U.S. I don't know about part-time jobs. We moved here last July. I love it here. Lots to do. There is a Welcome Club that really helps you to integrate. Have not met any unpleasant people, though I'll have to admit my neighbors (except for 2) have not been very welcoming. There are a lot of Florida people here and a lot from northern states.

Old 04-21-2007, 09:08 PM

8 posts, read 30,850 times
Don't get me wrong ..I love Florida...But toooo many people and toooo much traffic. The cost of living has gone sky high. I pay twice as much in taxes, home & auto ins than I did in CT. Everyone told us to move to Fl it's cheap and you can retire with less money. Boy were they wrong. I live in Central Florida and most of the population works for Disney or are illegal immigriants that work the farms. The crime at this time I think out numbers New York City. But they have to keep it quiet for the tourist trade. I want a slower life style, less expensive and not the rat race of driving on I-4 every day.
Any suggestions on housing??? Rent/buy? What city/county? N? S? E? W? Don't mind a little cold but not "0"...What about jobs? I have done secretarial work most of my life... My husband does maintenance and home building.

Old 04-21-2007, 09:12 PM

8 posts, read 30,850 times
What is a "Half Back"??

Old 04-21-2007, 09:48 PM

11,614 posts, read 31,815,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaChris View Post
What is a "Half Back"??
A Half Back is someone from up North who retired to Florida then realized they don't like it and move half-way back, usually TN or NC. I laughed the first time I heard the term. There's another term for people from Florida who move up here but don't know how to drive in the mountains: Floridiots.

There are some wonderful communities here in Tennessee that you might enjoy. Other than around Nashville and in the tourist nightmare of Sevier County, there's not much traffic here compared to I-4 in Orlando. Even Knoxville, which arguably has the worst traffic in East Tennessee (other than Sevier County) can't compare to what you have to put up with in Orlando.

What do you consider affordable? The Tri Cities (Bristol, Johnson City, and Kingsport) is a very popular, very beautiful area. A lot of Floridians are also moving to Knoxville (which includes places like Maryville and Oak Ridge), Chattanooga, and the Cumberland Plateau (Cookeville and Crossville).

Old 04-21-2007, 09:50 PM

7,281 posts, read 18,720,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaChris View Post
What is a "Half Back"??
It is what the locals call those of us who are originally from New England or anywhere North of TN, moved to Fl, then moved half way back to where they originally started and landed in TN......I am a proud half backer.
I would much rather be a "half backer" than a "flat lander" or "floridiot".
Mind you I have been called all of these at one time or another, but never in a nasty way, it is usually said kind of affectionately. Kinda like" yea I know where your from, but we accept you" hahahahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee