U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 03:23 PM

2,227 posts, read 7,427,025 times

Advertisements

exactly. there are so many nice towns in fla. not every city in fla is like miami, ft lauderdale and tampa. the entire state seems to get categorized as one big city.

like i said, most ppl whould know that's not the case. i know not everyone in tn is missing teeth and addicted to meth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 08:13 PM

8 posts, read 30,837 times
Ok where do you live in Fl? I live in Central Fl about 20 miles from Magic Kingdom & the traffic is bumper to bumper every day. There are 90% Cuban/Mexican/Latino (spanish type) The schools are about 2years behind the north and crime has skyrocketed. Something like 50 people murdered so far this year in Orlando. The prices of houses has tripled in the last 3 yrs.
Please tell me where I can move in Fl to get away from all of this????

Old 04-26-2007, 04:38 PM

i wouldnt doubt it's bumper to bumper out that way, but 90% cuban/mexican/latino??? no way. crime in orlando, THIS YR AND LAST is bad. but in yrs past, no more than anyother city the same size.

home prices are out of control --- but it's supply and demand. right now prices are lowering a bit, but i dont see that lasting for too long.

i too live in central fla. if it's too expensive here, i wouldnt suggest south fla, but i would suggest many places in northern fla (both coasts). crime is lower (with the exception of parts of jax), homes prices are still reasonable, and more of an old fla feel, like many of us natives floridians miss... i'm headed that way (northern fla) in a few yrs!!!

Old 04-28-2007, 09:44 AM

5,985 posts, read 3,642,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaChris View Post
I live in Fla & want to move to Tenn.. Where is the best & cheapest place to move??. I am so tired of traffic and the incresing cost of everything here. How about p/t work?
Tennessee borders on eight other states. I would look for a place near a state where I could save money on sales tax (namely, any of the eight). Cost of living generally decreases going away from the four biggest cities, excluding lakefronts and the Gatlinburg area tourist trap.

Old 04-28-2007, 09:48 PM

6 posts, read 34,357 times
Cool Sevierville or Chattanooga Area???

I live in Ohio and heard you could buy a nice home on the Tennessee River near Chattanooga for about $30,000.00. A friend of mine moved there and loves it, but we lost touch as soon as she moved with her son. I have been to Chattanooga and across I24 to Alabama several times and absolutely love the area outside of town along the Tennessee River. Does anyone have any info or the name of a good town along the Tenn River to move to?
(Also starting a Tennessee River/Chattanooga thread with this same question)

A very good friend of mine just moved to Sevierville and LOVES it there, but said not many jobs with room for advancement. He told me that a lot of actors move in and out of there because of the many dinner theaters nearby, so there are always positions open for working at a tourist place, or always could get a job selling condos. 'Said the crime was nonexistent and cost of living, low, but am hoping for more scenery and not so much traffic like a city so close to the Smokies and Gatlinburg.

Sorry, not a "recovering" Floridian but I did used to live in Pensacola for 8 years. Miss the beach and old friends there alot..Don't miss the bugs though and the humidity.

Any info whatsoever would be appreciated.
Thanks everyone for reading my post!
XO TTownRobin

Last edited by ttownrobin; 04-28-2007 at 09:51 PM.. Reason: want to subscribe to thread

Old 04-28-2007, 10:03 PM

22,534 posts, read 46,102,156 times
Did you mean $30,000 or did you mean $300,000?

If you meant $30,000, I doubt you can buy a decent, safe house anywhere in Tennessee for that, and certainly not on the Tennessee River.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:36 AM

33,950 posts, read 32,406,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
It's not just New Yorkers who are fleeing Florida. I'm a 5th generation Floridian, and my family couldn't wait to leave, too. The three families from Florida (Citrus County, Hillsborough County, St Lucie County) who showed up at my church here in Knoxville last week are also all native Floridians.

There are certainly a lot of Half Backs who are moving to TN and NC, but don't discount the native Floridians who are being squeezed out of FL, too.
And they're not just coming from Florida. I live in MD. The sales person with my moving company asked just this past Friday, "What is it with Tennessee? We've had more people moving there this year than you could imagine." I said, "Really? Where are they moving to?" (Since no one on these boards heading TO Tennessee seems to be from Maryland as far as I can recall.) I rattled off, Memphis? Chattanooga? Knoxville? Nashville? She said, "No, no big cities." Greeneville, Bristol, Kingsport were the places she could remember from moves just this month. And we have no one here in MD hawking Tennessee on TV or billboards that I know of. They're still hawking Florida (and Delaware).

UGH.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:00 AM

yeah, ppl are moving to tn in droves... the next fla.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:53 PM

98 posts, read 349,535 times
Sorry but This onslaught of transplants moving here has to slow down before it' gets out of hand.. and we lose our own identity.

Old 04-29-2007, 04:56 PM

it happened in fla, unfortunately. it looks that way too now up there. nothing we can do really, except move around within our states and find a place that has what we are looking for.

in tn, i'd say central and western part of the state. eastern is growing by leaps and bounds. same here in fla, cant go south, have to go northward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee