U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 12:02 AM

6,300 posts, read 15,689,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcountrygirl View Post
One of the things I love the most about being able to go to Tennesse is all of the history. I can't wait to have the time to spend in visiting some of the historic places there. The only place I got to see while I was there (4 days) was Davey Crockett State Park and the monument in the Lawrenceburg square. Hope to soak up much, much more when I get to move there and have the time.
f
The Hermitage, home of Andrew Jackson, is well worth a visit if you get a chance when you come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 12:12 AM

13,905 posts, read 1,954,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
f
The Hermitage, home of Andrew Jackson, is well worth a visit if you get a chance when you come.
I'm making a list thanks!

Old 04-22-2007, 07:47 AM

21,675 posts, read 31,630,359 times
I love hearing about all this stuff. I loooove the History Channel.

I haven't been to Nashville, yet.

What are some good historical sites to see in or around Knoxville?

I've been to Cade's Cove.

Old 04-22-2007, 08:08 AM

571 posts, read 1,910,023 times
There are a couple of places we want to try to get to. There's James White's Fort on E. Hill Ave. And the Mabry-Hazen House, headquarters for Union and Confederate troops, along with the Bethel Civil War Cemetary. I think they're on Dandridge Ave. Also, Marble Springs Historic Homestead, which was the original home of John Sevier. There's a loom house, tavern, smokehouse, and barn. I think that one's on W. John Sevier Highway.

I've got to dig around a little more for information on these places, but if you're in a mood for local history they look promising.

Old 04-22-2007, 08:49 AM

81 posts, read 211,203 times
What a great thread. I'll toss my hat in as a history lover. It's funny .....hated it in school but got into it when laid up for a good bit of time after a car accident. What ever it takes. I read a book about Rachel Jackson....she was divorced and that created a good bit of scandel for ole Andrew to deal with back then.....I think our scandals seem so much worse today but I spose it just depends on one's perspective. Can't wait to get to see some of these places LOL probably won't do dishes for a month for traveling around seeing and reading things!

Old 04-22-2007, 12:09 PM

5,881 posts, read 2,373,537 times
I hope you folks can make it up to Greeneville to visit the Andrew Johnson home and also his tailor shop. Jonesborough, Tennessee's old town, is nearby.

Old 04-22-2007, 12:46 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
783 posts, read 1,960,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
If you are a brunette with brown eyes you stick out like a sore thumb!
I'm WAAAY behind in this thread, just starting to read from where I last posted on page 2. I'm a brown-eyed brunette, so I guess I'll stick out, then! Just mixed heritage, tho, with a bit of Irish, German and Native American. My hubby is a tall blue eyed blonde, so he'll blend in. Pittsburgh PA area, there are so many different heritages in the different areas, there's Polish Hill, Hungarian, Czech, Slovak, German, and alot of Irish in the area, migrated here from the old country way back when, and alot stay in the old neighborhoods. Me - I'm a wanderer, which is part of my family heritage. Hubby is 100% Hungarian, lived in a hunky neighborhood, church and school. Furthest he's lived from where he was born and raised is now, about 10 miles. He's never travelled very much (I'm rectifying that!), and is a couch potato when he's not working (another thing I'm rectifying now that he's married to me!)

A real estate agent got my name and number off of a list I was on, called me on Friday. She was from Cookeville (pronounced 'Cukvulle'). Very nice lady, but I warned her that we won't be coming down until November to look around. So, she'll send me listings until then. One beef I had was, I told her our limit was $250k, so what did she tell me about first thing was a place for $350k!!! Come on now! Sounded nice, but ain't no way we'll get into deep debt. What we sell our place for, is what we'll be able to spend, plain and simple, and $250k is stretching it, as I think we may be able to get $200k at the most, but we'll see what the market brings then. It surprised me what people were selling at $200k+!! There's a junky looking modular down the road, smaller than my place, smaller yard, but has a pool, selling for $208k. That surprised us. So, we're doing some remodelling, will add a laundry room/pantry and powderroom at the back of our big garage to bring up the value and price of our place, at little investment. We updated the 1950's kitchen into a gourmet kithen at a cost of $11k, which upped the value $35 - $50k immediately, painted the outside, painted the living room, and have the bathroom(s) to remodel yet. Plus, I just got a new job, so, I'll sock 3/4 of what I make into the house. Oh yeh, a little curb appeal needs to be done yet, too - like flowers, and putting up the decorative light pole (that we got on clearance at Home Depot) at the driveway entrance. I LOVE clearance sales, discount stores and Ebay! I picked up marble tile at Builders Surplus dirt cheap - enough to do our bathroom. Hopefully, I'll have enough tiles left to put on the fireplace as a surround. Wish I had enough to do the foyer also, but I know there's not enough - I'll just have to pay another visit to the store. They did have some other marble there, but even discounted, it was still too much for us.

Well, I'll go thru the rest of the thread and see what else I can comment on.... Beautiful day outside!

blessings, Shen

Old 04-22-2007, 12:49 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Northcountrygirl, I hate to break it to you, but I am 5'9", blond, and blue-eyed. My kid had to get it from somewhere!

That's okay, if you are a brunette with brown eyes, you will be considered exotic. Men will swoon over you!
Too bad that I'm a newlywed, then!! LOL! I am a 'petite' brown-eyed brunette! I shoulda widened my search to TN when I was on Match.com! LOL!!

blessings, Shen

Old 04-22-2007, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianAngler View Post
I haven't read all the posts, but for the most part I hate all new country (obviously there are some exceptions). Generally, I listen to bluegrass. But, I love old country like Hank Williams Sr., Alabama, & Nitty Girtty Dirt band, etc.
I agree with you there, AA! I've said before, that the country they play nowadays isn't really country western. It's Nashville City music, not c&w music. I much prefer the oldies. And bluegrass.

blessings, Shen

ps: hey, btw - your name reminds me - fishing! Flyfishing or just pond plunking, I LOVE to fish - so, when we're there, I'll have to find the good angling spots!

Old 04-22-2007, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcountrygirl View Post
Wow! We've gotta keep this going. Probably should be another post. That's great alleycat. Of course according to Ridgerunner the only thing Eric The Red left to me was another ancestor I knew nothing about.
My family history goes back to Tennessee or Kentucky, don't know which one, just going by oral history related to me by my dad. Anyways, the Parker's came from the south, most likely Tennessee, came north, travelled on the Ohio River to Indiana, Illinois, (where some members of the family settled), the rest migrated on to Texas, where they build Fort Parker, which was raided by the Comanche. Several people were killed, and some children were taken, and brought up as Comanche, including Cynthia Ann Parker, who was the mother of the last War Chief of the Comanche, Quanah Parker. Before then, I can't trace the family, as the Parker's are pretty well known for having itchy feet and not being able to live in the same place for long. We just LOVE to travel and move along.

blessings, Shen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee