U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 10:25 PM

22,538 posts, read 46,123,072 times

Advertisements

That you did. Y'all have brightened up my evening. I feel like crap lately, so we will have to wait until the last minute. I have good days and bad days.

Soon, I will have more good days than bad. Thanks for asking, sweetie!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 01:58 AM

33,956 posts, read 32,424,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenandoah View Post
I love kale, collard greens, just about any green, and put it in my veggie stew. Anyone here familiar with ramps? It's similar to green onions, but grows wild, and is SUPER STRONG! Eat those, people can smell it coming out of your pores for days on end! My family is from WV, and ramps are a staple in the mountains.
In Cosby, TN they have a Ramp Festival. They select a Maid of The Ramps, have bluegrass music and crafts. It's held the first Sunday in May. Don't know anything else about it. Just remember it from the Tennessee Factoid thread.

Old 04-21-2007, 02:11 AM

911 posts, read 3,200,617 times
Quote:
I would go there in a minute if I were anywhere close! Anytime I make chili, or homemade soup, I make up a batch of cornbread. I also make Po' Boy's Cheesecake from cornmeal, johnnie-cake, and hoecakes. Hubby won't eat potato pancakes, and won't eat the hoecakes either. He won't eat beans of any sort, so, when I make lima beans and ham, or ham, green beans and potatoes, he won't eat that either. So, my brother in law gets the benefits of my cooking, as my sister won't cook those meals for him! LOL!

I love kale, collard greens, just about any green, and put it in my veggie stew. Anyone here familiar with ramps? It's similar to green onions, but grows wild, and is SUPER STRONG! Eat those, people can smell it coming out of your pores for days on end! My family is from WV, and ramps are a staple in the mountains.

One twist that I give my cornbread to make it nice and moist, is to put a can of creamed corn in the mix while I'm mixing it up.

blessings, Shen

Dang Lady,
That there is that Yankee Cornbread like my wife makes...

Old 04-21-2007, 06:58 AM

6,290 posts, read 20,565,526 times
There's also the Doodle Soup Festival in Gibson County.

There is apparently nothing we won't hold a festival for.

Old 04-21-2007, 10:06 AM

13 posts, read 63,274 times
Default Ramps...

Quote:
I love kale, collard greens, just about any green, and put it in my veggie stew. Anyone here familiar with ramps? It's similar to green onions, but grows wild, and is SUPER STRONG! Eat those, people can smell it coming out of your pores for days on end! My family is from WV, and ramps are a staple in the mountains. blessings, Shen

Shen,
My Uncle goes to a campground in the Smokies, and goes Ramp hunting. He loves them! If you are in the Smokies, you might be able to get some!

Old 04-21-2007, 11:11 AM

29 posts, read 107,249 times
Default lmao!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
MBMouse: I'm a little stressed this weekend. Thanks in getting me to laugh so hard I spit my soda through my nose!

That is hilarious!!!!!!
lmao...
well...what a great start for today!

Old 04-21-2007, 11:56 AM

98 posts, read 344,125 times
The annual ramp festival I think is in Cosby, Tennessee. They eat those wild onions and won't be able to be in public or kiss their wives or sweethearts for a week.
There's the annual polk sallet festival in Gainesboro.
Corn pone day in Sparta.
And everyone knows about the champion bar-b-cue event in Lynchburg home of Jack Daniels.
The world's largest cat fish fry is in Paris, Tennessee. They have a tower there too.
Speaking of cat fish...people in middle Tennesse at least seem to enjoy Friday night's dining out on cat fish.
Yesterday took my wife for a drive...when to Cumberland Mountain State Park and had the buffet...cat fish was on the menu...great cat fish...had a salad...and all kinds of vegetables...and for desert home made banana puddin'...my wife and I ate less than 20 dollars...when on to Cumberland County Playhouse and enjoyed a play equal to a broadway show...and took in a free craft fair after the lunch. Back home by 6 PM to see the evening news. Ain't it great to be alive and be in TENNESSEE? - Just so much to do and see.

Old 04-21-2007, 12:33 PM

81 posts, read 275,429 times
[g news. Ain't it great to be alive and be in TENNESSEE? - Just so much to do and see.[/quote]

Don't rub it in. Some of us wannabe's are sitting hear turning green and drooling

Seriously, hope all works out for us and someday we can take in a few of the festivals!

Old 04-22-2007, 12:50 PM

11 posts, read 25,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
There's also the Doodle Soup Festival in Gibson County.

There is apparently nothing we won't hold a festival for.
HAHA that is the absolute truth!!! i love it though...this state is trying to make me fat

on a non food related festival topic...they have the dogwood festival in tullahoma every year and the good ole days festival in my town of woodbury...both very cool.

Old 04-22-2007, 01:07 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
793 posts, read 2,518,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
In Cosby, TN they have a Ramp Festival. They select a Maid of The Ramps, have bluegrass music and crafts. It's held the first Sunday in May. Don't know anything else about it. Just remember it from the Tennessee Factoid thread.
Great to hear, thanks! Hiknapster - yes, it's like wild garlic - VERY strong. My mom still picks wild poke and eats it, as well as dandelion greens.

She'll make a salad out of the poke and dandelion greens, with vinegar, oil and bacon.

blessings, Shen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee