U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 08:03 PM

6,290 posts, read 20,545,910 times

Advertisements

Sounds like the Junior League, Ridgerunner. (Talk about culture shock.) ;-)

By the way, I did contact WNPT about doing a story on the Cornbread Festival for their Tennessee Crossroads show. It's been forwarded to the executive producer there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 08:07 PM

5,985 posts, read 3,639,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenandoah View Post
Great to hear, thanks! Hiknapster - yes, it's like wild garlic - VERY strong. My mom still picks wild poke and eats it, as well as dandelion greens.

She'll make a salad out of the poke and dandelion greens, with vinegar, oil and bacon.

blessings, Shen
Shen, you're making my mouth water. Growing up in the Virginia mountains I ate lots of dandelion greens, "poke sallet" and various other early spring plants. Poke was apparently popular in Louisiana too as indicated by the 1969 Tony Joe White record, "Polk Salad Annie." Remember that? I never ate any ramps but knew people who did. My cousin who left the mountains and moved to Greensboro, NC once asked a friend there if he knew what a ramp was, and the friend replied, "Yeah, it's one of those things you drive up to get on the interstate."

Old 04-23-2007, 08:12 PM

I happened to catch a cooking segment on the Today Show the other day (Firday?). They were using ramps in one of the dishes.

Personally, I stay away from poke salad. Any food where you're warned to use the new leaves or die is not for me. ;-)

Old 04-23-2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
Sounds like the Junior League, Ridgerunner. (Talk about culture shock.) ;-)

By the way, I did contact WNPT about doing a story on the Cornbread Festival for their Tennessee Crossroads show. It's been forwarded to the executive producer there.
Gee, I miss that program. Up here in the Tri-Cities our local Dish package carries the PBS station from Norton, Va. instead. If you are within the Knoxville TV market you may also be familiar with the Heartland Series. I haven't seen that in a long time either.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:23 PM

Quote:
I happened to catch a cooking segment on the Today Show the other day (Firday?). They were using ramps in one of the dishes.

Personally, I stay away from poke salad. Any food where you're warned to use the new leaves or die is not for me. ;-)
Alleycat, you really should try it. It's only good in early spring because when it gets bigger it is much too tough to eat. And also becomes poisonous. It can get to be more than 10 feet tall and has big berries in the summer. When I was growing up, some of the more mischievous kids would squeeze the red juice from the berries and smear it on their skin to fool someone into thinking they had been seriously injured.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Alleycat, you really should try it. It's only good in early spring because when it gets bigger it is much too tough to eat. And also becomes poisonous. It can get to be more than 10 feet tall and has big berries in the summer. When I was growing up, some of the more mischievous kids would squeeze the red juice from the berries and smear it on their skin to fool someone into thinking they had been seriously injured.
Oh, I grew up on sixty acres in Montgomery County. There was poke salad all around. It was just another weed to us.

Most birds won't even eat those berries.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Oh, I grew up on sixty acres in Montgomery County. There was poke salad all around. It was just another weed to us.

Most birds won't even eat those berries.
Yeah, I've heard that some birds have a natural immunity. Do you still live in Montgomery? I'm amazed at how fast that county has grown. Clarksville was once smaller than Johnson City and now it's almost twice as big. I spent what I thought were the 8 most miserable weeks of my life near there, but now I realize they were really 8 of the best.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:19 PM

I have property in Montgomery County, but live in Nashville.

I don't remember when Clarksville was smaller than Johnson City. I remember when Jackson had a larger population. I'm surprised that Murfreesboro hasn't passed Clarksville in population.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:38 PM

Quote:
I have property in Montgomery County, but live in Nashville.

I don't remember when Clarksville was smaller than Johnson City. I remember when Jackson had a larger population. I'm surprised that Murfreesboro hasn't passed Clarksville in population.
Murfreesboro is growing like a weed, isn't it? I was mistaken about Clarksville being smaller than Johnson City. But I'm pretty sure that Murfreesboro and Jackson were smaller than J.C. back in the sixties. Since then, East Tennessee has grown at a slower rate than most other areas.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:03 PM

11,603 posts, read 31,766,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Murfreesboro is growing like a weed, isn't it? I was mistaken about Clarksville being smaller than Johnson City. But I'm pretty sure that Murfreesboro and Jackson were smaller than J.C. back in the sixties. Since then, East Tennessee has grown at a slower rate than most other areas.
Population statistics and growth patterns fascinate me, so I went hunting at the Census Bureau web site and for the life of me I couldn't find historical census figures for cities. But I could for counties, and here's what I found:

Madison County (Jackson) 60,655
Montgomery County (Clarksville) 55,645
Rutherford County (Murfreesboro) 52,368
Washington County (Johnson City) 64,832

Madison County 74,546
Montgomery County 83,342
Rutherford County 84,058
Washington County 88,755

Madison County 91,837
Montgomery County 134,768
Rutherford County 182,023
Washington County 107,198

Madison County 95,894
Montgomery County 147,114
Rutherford County 228,829
Washington County 114,316
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee