U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 01:33 PM

2,349 posts, read 9,503,042 times

Advertisements

http://www.nationalcornbread.com/

This is an annual event held in South Pittsburg TN between Chattanooga and Nashville. For those of you that are house-hunting in the area, head on down! This will give you a true "taste" of local "flavor"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2007, 05:02 PM

6,290 posts, read 20,565,526 times
You know, it doesn't surprise me that there's a National Cornbread Festival here . . . but I don't think I've ever heard of it.

I think I'l send that in to the Tennessee Crossroads folks. That sounds like something that they'd like to cover, if they haven't before at some time.

Old 04-20-2007, 06:13 PM

1,232 posts, read 4,179,273 times
Thumbs up Good TV Program

Thursday and Friday nights at least in my area. Last night had a good Chattanooga restaurant, etc. Host use to do Hot Rod tv projects.
Is that Cornbread party close to the Thunder Road Festival (Old Moonshine)1930's chase era up in ROCKWOOD on Saturday.? www.rockwood2000.com .
Big Arts Festival in CHATTANOOGA this weekend, now that the bicycle race week is over. Lots of colorful activities this time of year.

Old 04-20-2007, 06:43 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
793 posts, read 2,518,176 times
Default Cornbread Festival!!!!

I would go there in a minute if I were anywhere close! Anytime I make chili, or homemade soup, I make up a batch of cornbread. I also make Po' Boy's Cheesecake from cornmeal, johnnie-cake, and hoecakes. Hubby won't eat potato pancakes, and won't eat the hoecakes either. He won't eat beans of any sort, so, when I make lima beans and ham, or ham, green beans and potatoes, he won't eat that either. So, my brother in law gets the benefits of my cooking, as my sister won't cook those meals for him! LOL!

I love kale, collard greens, just about any green, and put it in my veggie stew. Anyone here familiar with ramps? It's similar to green onions, but grows wild, and is SUPER STRONG! Eat those, people can smell it coming out of your pores for days on end! My family is from WV, and ramps are a staple in the mountains.

One twist that I give my cornbread to make it nice and moist, is to put a can of creamed corn in the mix while I'm mixing it up.

blessings, Shen

Old 04-20-2007, 06:52 PM

6,290 posts, read 20,565,526 times
By the way, if anyone wants to make cornbread, and haven't before, get a bag of White Lily cornmeal and follow the recipe on the back. It's a good, basic recipe.

I think cornbread is best made in an iron skillet. Frankly, I find the old-fashioned iron skillets hard to maintain. So I use a non-stick iron skillets made by Le Creuset of France (they are readily available here). I love the ones I have; all the benefits of cast iron without the hassle. They're a bit expensive, but last for a long time (not like those old Teflon coated things they sell in Wal-Mart).

Old 04-20-2007, 10:08 PM

7,281 posts, read 18,720,196 times
I have heard of and seen several families/people from Jefferson county TN across to Western NC go ramp hunting and poke weed picking. I was lead to believe by some of these folks that ramps were wild garlic?????
As for Poke weed salad that so many rural old timers around these parts so enjoy and look forward to all winter long just scares me. If it gets to big, it is poisonous! But they love looking in the woods for the young poke weed shoots. I asked them about the dangers of getting sick and Mr. Miller just said, "awww....I've only gotten sick a few times in my life from it, you get better in a week or so...no big deal, they still worth it".
I took his word for it being good, but sorry, gonna pass on trying that local dish hahahahhahaha

Old 04-20-2007, 10:13 PM

11 posts, read 25,695 times
dont forget the wicked awesome RC cola and Moonpie festival in Bell Buckle!!!! http://www.tnvacation.com/events/25/

Old 04-20-2007, 10:16 PM

22,538 posts, read 46,123,072 times
MBMouse: I'm a little stressed this weekend. Thanks in getting me to laugh so hard I spit my soda through my nose!

That is hilarious!!!!!!

Old 04-20-2007, 10:18 PM

22,538 posts, read 46,123,072 times
SwaggerMagic:

Your Mass. roots are showing through. "Wicked?"

Is it "wicked pisser (pissah)?"

That is too cute!

I haven't heard that in years......

Old 04-20-2007, 10:22 PM

7,281 posts, read 18,720,196 times
I noticed that too and got a good chuckle out of it. I haven't heard that phrase in years, but it does my heart a little good and prepping me for the Tn Yankee picnic Sunday...Ya'll goen???? (notice the drawl?? hehehehe)

Glad I could make you smile Hiknapster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
SwaggerMagic:

Your Mass. roots are showing through. "Wicked?"

Is it "wicked pisser (pissah)?"

That is too cute!

I haven't heard that in years......

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee