U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 11:47 PM

46 posts, read 245,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanfan07 View Post
whoa whoa whoa! I have lived here my whole life and u make it sound like the worst place in the world. Tornadoes arent that common. Before the ones in recent years they had never been through here. I havent even seen a mosquito yet this year and the only reason u may feel a predjudice toward u is because most "northerners" come to the south thinking they are better than everyone and they carry around that snobby attitude. I did say most, not all. There are exceptions. Southerners can sense snobs a mile away. And if someone asked if u were in the mob im sure they were joking. I mean seriously. And the food taste different because its made differently. I've been to the northeast many times and the pizza and sandwiches taste "funny" to us. Its a culture difference. Get over it! You are the type of person that we dont mind seeing leave. Whine about this. Cry about that. Oh its so hot. Too many bugs. Where's the snow. Boo freakin hoo. If you'd like a real view of Jackson let me know.

Obviously you did not read City-Data's disclaimer on NO PERSONAL ATTACKS. I have no choice but to defend myself. I merely offered my opinion to the original poster who wanted to know what Jackson was like based on OPINIONS. I do not think Jackson is the worst place in the world, just not my cup of tea. I offered my opinion based on my views living here as an outsider and not a native.

Let's look at the facts. You grew up in Jackson and still live here. What other comparison do you personally have?

I have grown up in the Boston & Ft. Lauderdale area, went to college in Northern Florida, grad. school in S. Florida, lived and worked In NJ, lived in the suburbs of Detroit, and now live in Jackson.

So, on paper we may look like snobs. I have a masters and my husband has a doctorate. He earns well over six figures as a professional and I am blessed enough to stay home and raise our three children. We live in an upscale neighborhood in a large home, drive relatively new cars, and have a cleaning lady that comes every two weeks.

However, my husband is the seventh of fourteen children (no multiples, same parents) and never had one single new article of clothing, toy, or sports equipment. He had a paper route and other jobs since he was seven and gave all of his earnings to help out the family. Now, that family has produced four physicians, two teachers, one lawyer, one nurse, one computer analyst, two engineers, and three accountants. All on two working class parents' salaries.

I grew up with one sibling and had lived in three states by the time I was 22. I have been working since I was 13 and only stopped after the birth of our first child. I volunteer with our church and we regularly tithe 10% of our income to our church and other charities.

We shop for the majority of of children's clothes at Wal-Mart and sometimes for ourselves as well. I have furnished the majority of our house with accessories and draperies from Wal-Mart and Hobby Lobby. I clip coupons, never pay full price for anything, and shop flea markets and yard sales frequently. To give you an example, we recently went back home and went to Central Park. My husband drove around for 15 minutes to find a free parking space on the street rather than pay $30 for garage parking.

My definition of a snob would be the majority of stay at home moms here in Jackson that are fortunate enough to be able to stay home with their children, but INSTEAD drop them off at FULL TIME DAY CARE so they can go to the country club, get their nails done, or go to the gym. They do not cook homemade, healthy meals for their family, nor do they PLAY with their children.

I do not think I am better than other people. I am me, plain and simple. I have made some great friends in Jackson and love our neighbors. Anyone who knows me would say I am the furthest thing from a snob. Most days I am in my gym clothes, no makeup, no fancy hairstyle.

The truth is in MY OPINION, Jackson is a small town. It may have a 60,000+ population, but in comparison to other areas of the country with a similar population and land area, it has that "small town feel." It's just not for me nor my family. Just like you may feel it has enough amenities. I do not. I can say this because I have lived in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Midwest, Southeast, and now the Mid-South.

Sorry that the truth may hurt sometimes. Look up tha data for yourself on City-Data.com and you will see the crime rate is twice the national average, tornadoes are much more frequent compared to the rest of the country, and annual public school funding per pupil is one of the lowest in the nation, etc.

You will also see that the housing and property taxes are one of the least expensive in the country and that the winters are generally mild.

Now if you want to attack Jersey, you could say that the traffic is insane, the housing is way too expensive, and property taxes are sky high. That's the price we pay for excellent FREE public schools, safe suburbs, proximity to the shore, NYC, the mountains, Phili, and substantial home appreciation.

You have to take the good with the bad. There's no perfect place.

I directed my reply towards someone from the Notheast, which is where I grew up. I can relate better to what she is accustomed to in terms of weather, amenities, cost of living, etc.

Maybe if you could stop being so defensive and appreciate another opnion besides your own you would see that in my original post, I stated the facts and offered my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 07:21 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,546,664 times
Titanfan --

I lived in Jackson for 26+ years, so I think I have your 24 beat. I moved away six years ago. However, I return to Jackson at least twice per month because my family and my wife's family live there. I think I'm pretty-well qualified to speak about Jackson. And again, I'm not the Jackson Chamber of Commerce. Neither are you. Try to be objective.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:22 AM

The Memphis MSA, btw, has around 1.2 million people. That includes Shelby County and the 7 counties that surround it.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:53 AM

3,381 posts, read 11,814,253 times
What are the 7 counties??? I would consider Shelby, whatever is NE of us (Arlington maybe?) and then the MS county that is below us to be "Memphis area."

Old 06-25-2007, 09:13 AM

The Memphis MSA consists of Shelby, Tipton, and Fayette counties in TN; Crittenden County in AR; and DeSoto, Marshall, Tate, and Tunica counties in MS.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:23 AM

3,381 posts, read 11,814,253 times
Tunica? No way. There are miles and miles of farm land between Memphis and Tunica county. That's not Memphis metro in any sense of the word. Tunica county is (was) very, very rural and poor. I wouldn't consider anything in AR to be part of Memphis either, for whatever reason they have really set themselves apart from memphis. I've never even heard of Marshall or Tate counties. What cities are in those areas? I agree with Southaven, Olive Branch in DeSoto though.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:37 AM

Whether or not a county is included in a city's Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) is based largely on the percentage of the county's population that commutes to the central city for work. The seven counties outside of Shelby County meet the criteria.

Until 2003 or 2004 (can't remember which right now), the Memphis MSA consisted of Shelby, Fayette, Tipton, Crittenden, and DeSoto counties. Marshall, Tate, and Tunica are the most recent add-ons. We do not expect any more counties to be added to the MSA for decades to come. (Haywood County, TN, would probably be next, but it will be a very long time.)

Old 06-25-2007, 06:45 PM

11,608 posts, read 31,789,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
Tunica? No way. There are miles and miles of farm land between Memphis and Tunica county. That's not Memphis metro in any sense of the word. Tunica county is (was) very, very rural and poor. I wouldn't consider anything in AR to be part of Memphis either, for whatever reason they have really set themselves apart from memphis. I've never even heard of Marshall or Tate counties. What cities are in those areas? I agree with Southaven, Olive Branch in DeSoto though.
Strumpeace is correct. Those counties in Mississippi were added to the Memphis Metropolitan Statistical Area a few years ago. Holly Springs is in Marshall County (next to Collierville), and Senatobia is in Tate County (next to De Soto County). Whether we agree with it or not, the federal government saw fit to include those counties as part of metropolitan Memphis because more than 25% of workers from those counties commute into other metropolitan counties. In the case of Tunica, it's the reverse: more than 25% of Tunica County's workers commute into Tunica from Memphis or De Soto.

Likewise, the feds removed Sevier County (Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Sevierville) from the Knoxville MSA because there's no longer that magic percentage of workers crossing county lines between the two counties.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:32 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,287,902 times
Personally, I really dislike Jackson. I lived there from 1980-2000.

I grew up on East Chester St. in East Jackson, so I might have had somewhat of a different experience than most.

Restaraunts are going to be your standard chain-fare.

Shopping...same big box retailers.

The downtown area is really old and has only been updated somewhat.

For me, it is just an overall trashy looking place. Sure there are some nicer neighborhoods, but as a whole, I would say it's lacking in asthetics.

If someone forced me to move back there I would look for a place in either Beech Bluff or near Three Way.

I also believe many of the schools to be sub-par. I attended Washington-Douglas, Jackson-Middle, and North Side. The first two aren't there anymore, but NSHS still is. I didn't get much out it, but admittedly, that was my fault.

Old 07-01-2007, 05:34 PM

2 posts, read 5,538 times
Hi Everyone

First thanks to everyone for there opinions, I really do appreciate everyones viewpoint.
To Braves_fan, I am originally from the farmlands about 40 miles north of Detroit so although I am a northerner I am really a small town farm girl. I have not lived in Michigan for over twenty years and have only been in the northeast for two years of the past 20, before that we were in California, Arizona, Colorado, and overseas in Asia. My husband is originally from Virgina and works from home so he can work anywhere which is nice for us.

We just spent the last 14 days in the general area (7 in Jackson and 7 in Winston Salem NC area) and I have to say the people of Jackson were wonderful, I thought the restaurant selection was just fine for us, especially around the columns, and we loved the samlltown feel.

We have decided to move here as soon as possible. We will be putting our house on the market right after the 4th and heading down the day after closing!!

Cant wait to become a part of the city, and to titanfan07 I think we will fit right in without being labeled as snobs (I hope we don't anyway)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee