U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 11:23 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,546,123 times

Advertisements

Best wishes with your move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 09:30 AM

2 posts, read 13,625 times
You know I think I can get what you are talking about. Most of my family located to Jackson from parts of TN and I live in Detroit, MI metro. I have thought about moving back there to be closer to family. We went down for a visit this summer and we had breakfast at Shoney's and this woman felt it quite alright to speak loudly about her religious and racial prejudices even though me (an african american) and other african americans were in ear shot. Racism is everywhere but that was shocking and annoying, one of the reasons I had moved from the South to the Northern regions and other areas. But I am considering moving back to be closer to family. I just don't know if I can get around that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygirlInTN View Post
Hello,
Our family relocated here 2 years ago and think it's OK. Yes, it's more affordable in housing costs compared to the NE. However, be prepared for high sales tax, city & county, on just about everything. The summers are extremely hot, starting in April until September. Tornadoes are common. Mosquitos are insane. We have lived in the MA, NJ, MI, & FL and this is our least favorite place. Recreation and cultural activities are definitely lacking. Forget about pizza, bagels, and a decent hoagie. We don't have any snow to shovel, but our kids miss that aspect.

For the private schools, yes USJ is excellent. However, it's $5K per year now for elementary levels and is $7K for high school. You will also pay numerous fees, in addition that will amount to about $500-1000K per year. There's an average 5% increase in tuition each year. The public schools are a joke; overcrowded and underfunded. Plus, 0% of your property taxes are funneled into education.

There are several nice subdivisions and neighborhoods, but don't expect for your house to appreciate more than 4% per year at best.

Crime is twice the national average, but most of it is contained to the downtown area, or from the hospital heading south.

Grocery and clothes shopping is OK. Mostly chain restaurants, Walmart, and Kroger. The produce and seafood selection is sketchy.

For the summer you must have a pool or join the country club, because it's too hot for the kids to play outside. This starts in April and lasts in September. If you enjoy hot humid weather, then you will love it.

The people are generally nice, however there is a prejudice against "yankees" that we have experienced a few times. Some people have actually asked me if we are in the mob, because we're from Jersey.

That being said, we're Ok with it here. We moved here temporarily and plan to move back to Jersey soon. You may really like it here. Just do some research and visit here thoroughly. Feel free to PM me for more info. Good luck in your move!

Old 09-04-2007, 09:34 AM

55,237 posts, read 72,427,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tevroc78 View Post
Hi,

We are thinking of moving to the Jackson area and would like comments from anyone who lives here. We have two kids ages 4 and 8 and want then to attend private school.

We currently live in the Northeast and just do not fit in (not to mention the cost of living) we recently went and spoke with the administrators at the University School of Jackson and were very impressed.

Any comments on the school or the area would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Trish
forgive me for being a new guy.
it would be very helpful for guys like us when you talk about a city to include the state. i know jackson ms very well but i assume there is a jackson tn which is what the forum is talking about?
stephen s
san diego, ca

Old 09-04-2007, 09:57 AM

1,268 posts, read 3,956,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity0267 View Post
You know I think I can get what you are talking about. Most of my family located to Jackson from parts of TN and I live in Detroit, MI metro. I have thought about moving back there to be closer to family. We went down for a visit this summer and we had breakfast at Shoney's and this woman felt it quite alright to speak loudly about her religious and racial prejudices even though me (an african american) and other african americans were in ear shot. Racism is everywhere but that was shocking and annoying, one of the reasons I had moved from the South to the Northern regions and other areas. But I am considering moving back to be closer to family. I just don't know if I can get around that.
It is unfortunate that in this day and age you will still find racism. I believe that you are less likely to find racism an issue in larger cities.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:05 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,546,123 times
Quote:
forgive me for being a new guy.
it would be very helpful for guys like us when you talk about a city to include the state. i know jackson ms very well but i assume there is a jackson tn which is what the forum is talking about?
stephen s
san diego, ca
This is the Tennessee forum, so yes, we've been talking about Jackson, Tennessee.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:26 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,287,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity0267 View Post
Unfortunately, people are racist everywhere. I don't think that would be a common occurence though.

African Americans make a large portion of Jackson's population and have some political pull as well. I think the NAACP all but runs Madison-County school system.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:26 AM

3 posts, read 10,407 times
Default Need some help about Jackson, TN

I need a no B.S. answer about Jackson, TN. I am looking to relocate there for a position. Can anyone give me some answers about the place. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee