U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 12:33 PM

2 posts, read 5,536 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are thinking of moving to the Jackson area and would like comments from anyone who lives here. We have two kids ages 4 and 8 and want then to attend private school.

We currently live in the Northeast and just do not fit in (not to mention the cost of living) we recently went and spoke with the administrators at the University School of Jackson and were very impressed.

Any comments on the school or the area would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Trish
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 04:15 AM

26 posts, read 68,930 times
Default Jackson Welcomes You

Jackson is a great choice I think. I have lived here all my life and I love it. You are right about USJ. It is one of the best, if not the best private school in the area. My daughter will start there soon. The beautiful new high school campus was built in 1997 nestled in a very high class area of Jackson. It's surrounded by subdivisions with homes that reach over 1 million in cost. The lower school was built just next to the high school campus in recent years and it is just as beautiful. Don't quote me but I believe the tuition is somewhere between $600 and $700 per month. Another great school is Jackson Christian School. JCS is about 2 or 3 miles south of USJ. It's tuition and surrounding area is similar. There are a couple other private schools here too but those are the best in my opinion. Don't know if you are interested in sports but JCS won the state football championship in their class last year. Both schools have good programs though. Good Luck and Welcome.

Last edited by titanfan07; 05-08-2007 at 04:39 AM..

Old 06-02-2007, 09:35 AM

46 posts, read 245,054 times
Smile Jackson is very different from the Northeast

Hello,
Our family relocated here 2 years ago and think it's OK. Yes, it's more affordable in housing costs compared to the NE. However, be prepared for high sales tax, city & county, on just about everything. The summers are extremely hot, starting in April until September. Tornadoes are common. Mosquitos are insane. We have lived in the MA, NJ, MI, & FL and this is our least favorite place. Recreation and cultural activities are definitely lacking. Forget about pizza, bagels, and a decent hoagie. We don't have any snow to shovel, but our kids miss that aspect.

For the private schools, yes USJ is excellent. However, it's $5K per year now for elementary levels and is $7K for high school. You will also pay numerous fees, in addition that will amount to about $500-1000K per year. There's an average 5% increase in tuition each year. The public schools are a joke; overcrowded and underfunded. Plus, 0% of your property taxes are funneled into education.

There are several nice subdivisions and neighborhoods, but don't expect for your house to appreciate more than 4% per year at best.

Crime is twice the national average, but most of it is contained to the downtown area, or from the hospital heading south.

Grocery and clothes shopping is OK. Mostly chain restaurants, Walmart, and Kroger. The produce and seafood selection is sketchy.

For the summer you must have a pool or join the country club, because it's too hot for the kids to play outside. This starts in April and lasts in September. If you enjoy hot humid weather, then you will love it.

The people are generally nice, however there is a prejudice against "yankees" that we have experienced a few times. Some people have actually asked me if we are in the mob, because we're from Jersey.

That being said, we're Ok with it here. We moved here temporarily and plan to move back to Jersey soon. You may really like it here. Just do some research and visit here thoroughly. Feel free to PM me for more info. Good luck in your move!

Old 06-19-2007, 07:33 PM

whoa whoa whoa! I have lived here my whole life and u make it sound like the worst place in the world. Tornadoes arent that common. Before the ones in recent years they had never been through here. I havent even seen a mosquito yet this year and the only reason u may feel a predjudice toward u is because most "northerners" come to the south thinking they are better than everyone and they carry around that snobby attitude. I did say most, not all. There are exceptions. Southerners can sense snobs a mile away. And if someone asked if u were in the mob im sure they were joking. I mean seriously. And the food taste different because its made differently. I've been to the northeast many times and the pizza and sandwiches taste "funny" to us. Its a culture difference. Get over it! You are the type of person that we dont mind seeing leave. Whine about this. Cry about that. Oh its so hot. Too many bugs. Where's the snow. Boo freakin hoo. If you'd like a real view of Jackson let me know.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:03 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,544,193 times
jerseygirlinTN is definitely right about the restaurant selection in Jackson. It's bad. There are very few non-chain places that are decent -- Baudo's being by far the best.

titanfan -- The other poster was simply posting her opinion. Your response was childish. When compared to the Northeast or even to some other Tennessee cities, Jackson lags behind in many things. Jackson certainly has a great charm and history; I was born there and visit there often. However, there's nothing wrong with looking at a town objectively, which is what the other poster did. She made it clear that Jackson is ok; it's just not her cup of tea. She's entitled to her opinion.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:27 AM

98 posts, read 349,367 times
to the original poster.. ummm you dont fit in the Northeast why?/ isnt that where you're from in the first place..
I'm kinda confused,

Old 06-20-2007, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
jerseygirlinTN is definitely right about the restaurant selection in Jackson. It's bad. There are very few non-chain places that are decent -- Baudo's being by far the best.

titanfan -- The other poster was simply posting her opinion. Your response was childish. When compared to the Northeast or even to some other Tennessee cities, Jackson lags behind in many things. Jackson certainly has a great charm and history; I was born there and visit there often. However, there's nothing wrong with looking at a town objectively, which is what the other poster did. She made it clear that Jackson is ok; it's just not her cup of tea. She's entitled to her opinion.
I really dont see how my response was childish. I am entitled to an opinion as well, right. And when u attack someones hometown with misleading statements, I think its only right to defend it. First of all she's not right about the resturant selection. By just visiting Jackson you know all the resturants new and old? I doubt it. I was born here and raised here, 24 years now and I see new ones all the time. And then to say that Jackson is humid, with lots of mosquitos and funny tasting food is just plain stupid. Why would Jackson be any more humid or have anymore bugs or foods taste that much differently than any other city around the south, not just in Tennessee. The originator asked about different areas including Jackson and all of a sudden Jackson's the worst place. Thats not giving someone an objectional view. Have you tasted all the non-chain resturants in order to make the statement that they "arent decent." Compare most cities in the south to a northeastern city and it lags behind. Jackson could be better in lots of things but what city has everything that everyone wants? If its not in Jackson, Memphis is only 80 miles away. Nashville is only 120 miles away. But go there and you'll find that not everything is there that you want. Its a never-ending process. I'm not saying Jackson is the best place in the world to live, but I do feel that my opinion was a little more objective and not as negative. I would rather hear about a place from someone that has lived there for 24 years instead of someone thats been here for only 2 or someone that was born here and moved away only to return for visits. Just me though I guess.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:26 PM

Good Post Titan Fan!!! but one thing....

Go Falcons!!!!! lol

Old 06-20-2007, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braves_fan View Post
Good Post Titan Fan!!! but one thing....

Go Falcons!!!!! lol
LOL. Thanks. Both had some rough seasons but maybe they can turn it around. TITANS WIN SUPER BOWL!!!! Ok maybe a little premature but soon I hope. LOL

Old 06-20-2007, 03:54 PM

The Times I've traveled through Jackson en route to Arkansas I'll give it a big thumbs up!!!.. nice town with all the basic things you need.
Now I realize New Jerzzey folks need a little more "complex" in there everyday travels, but ya know.. thats there mentality, not the South's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee