Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 10:39 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
My favorite story about something like that is a friend I had from Utah. She moved to Tennessee in the winter. She wanted to know where our "swamp coolers" were. We had to ask what she was talking about. She explained that they added humidity to the air in summer. They needed them in the dry western summers.

We got a good chuckle about that. "Righttttt . . . we want to add humidity to the air in summer here . . . "
How funny! My experience was just the opposite. I went to college in Utah and had never heard of a swamp cooler before. And trust me, out there in the desert they really do work!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 10:45 PM

13,905 posts, read 3,377,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
How funny! My experience was just the opposite. I went to college in Utah and had never heard of a swamp cooler before. And trust me, out there in the desert they really do work!
The first time I heard of a swamp cooler was when I had a chance to go to Death Valley to Scottie's Castle. If I remember right it was a burlap bag filled with something that was moistened and hung in front of the air vent to moisten the air coming into the house? Is that right?

Old 04-21-2007, 10:50 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
By the way, NCG, you probably don't need this information since apparently the summers are hot where you live too, but be sure not to leave kids or pets in a closed up car in summer here. It doesn't take long for something really bad to happen when it's 100 degrees. I'm not trying to be offensive, just a friendly reminder since you're a visitor.

Last edited by alleycat; 04-21-2007 at 11:03 PM..

Old 04-21-2007, 11:05 PM

Quote:
By the way, NCG, you probably don't need this information since apparently the summers are hot where you live too, but be sure not to leave kids or pets in a closed up car in summer here. It doesn't take long for something really bad to happen. I'm not trying to be offensive, just a friendly reminder since you're a visitor.
Thank you alley cat. I take no offense at all. You never know what people know or will think of and it's very nice of you to be concerned enough to tell me. My kids are all grown except for my 15 year old step daughter and I won't be bringing my cats with me but thanks for the helpful reminder. It gets hot here in the summer but I'm still not convinced that it gets as hot as it does there, that's why I was questioning. I seriously doubt that it does. I'm just confused by the temps that have been reported on the forum

Old 04-22-2007, 07:04 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Here's the deal. No, it doesn't get as hot in NH as it does here.

I had the great misfortune of living in FL first, coming from Mass.

Southwest Florida is brutal, much worse than Tennessee, so I find the summers refreshing!

Just remember that eventually your body will acclimate. I even got use to living in Florida. You will, too.

Oh, and you will find the winters to be a joke, and I mean that in a VERY good way!

Old 04-22-2007, 07:21 AM

81 posts, read 308,941 times
Some site I found checking out various areas actually had a "Comfor Index" category. I went through my notes and can't find it now, (naturally) but if you are interested I can try to re trace my steps from a few months back.

I do remember in general however, the Tri Cities ranked high or highest in all the desirable things. Heat and humidity was a bigger concern for my husband...as he says he doesn't sweat, he defrosts...and he's originally from Spartanburg S.C.
I'm thinking like Hiknapster...we'll adjust.

Just FYI.....swamp coolers are still very common here. They don't cool as well in Vegas as they once did. The relative humidity of an area has to be pretty low for the cooling affect. I guess because of the building and landscaping (non native things like grass & shade trees) has changed that. When I first moved to Vegas humidity levels were like 2 to 3% now I think it runs in the 20-30%. Many people still use them in this area but we don't have the density ....yet. I'm surprised they were effective in Provo. It's been a while since I was there but I remember it was pretty green and cooler than here

Old 04-22-2007, 07:51 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
By the way, NCG, you probably don't need this information since apparently the summers are hot where you live too, but be sure not to leave kids or pets in a closed up car in summer here. It doesn't take long for something really bad to happen when it's 100 degrees. I'm not trying to be offensive, just a friendly reminder since you're a visitor.
Another thing to think about is if you or a family member take medication. Check to see if you should be spending time out in the sun when you are taking it. It usually mentions it on the information paper you get when you fill a prescription.

Old 04-22-2007, 07:46 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,750,050 times
The thing is, in NH, you might get a couple 90 degree days, or maybe a week strech. But in TN, its probably 85+ for most of July and August. And the humidity! Nothing like those heat & humidity based thunderstorms every afternoon in July

Quote:
I think air-conditioning has had an effect on all of us. When I was growing up, I played and worked outside all summer; we didn't even have air-conditioning until I was nine or ten. We were used to it. Now I live in an air-conditioned house, drive an air-conditioned car, work in an air-conditioned office. I've become an "old softy". :-(
I dated a guy from CT for awhile. He didn't grow up with a/c, and he couldn't stand to run it (even on a muggy VA afternoon). He's rather open up the windows and sweat. Me, on the other hand, give me my a/c and lock me up for all of July and August. Well, except for the week of the 4th, when I will be out on Watts Bar all week

I had my first swamp cooler expierence in El Paso a few weeks back. I'm surprised how well it worked.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:20 AM

61 posts, read 243,141 times
Northcountrygirl, we first vacationed in August a few years back, primarily for the same reasons you are. I'd say we didn't find it that much different than our area and New England at that time. Last year we went in mid July and it was actually cooler than it was here in NE PA at the time. I believe a good part of the reason is the country and like here & New England, when you get away from the cities, especially at night, things tend to be a bit cooler.

Also, if you find out what counties you are considering in TN, try to find their chamber of commerce website. I've received several booklets from counties that we are interested in and most have the average temps for all seasons, along with rainfall & snowfall amounts. They usually have the elevation listed also and I'm finding that useful since the higher elevations tend to be cooler, especially in the evening and night.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighterdon View Post
Northcountrygirl, we first vacationed in August a few years back, primarily for the same reasons you are. I'd say we didn't find it that much different than our area and New England at that time. Last year we went in mid July and it was actually cooler than it was here in NE PA at the time. I believe a good part of the reason is the country and like here & New England, when you get away from the cities, especially at night, things tend to be a bit cooler.

Also, if you find out what counties you are considering in TN, try to find their chamber of commerce website. I've received several booklets from counties that we are interested in and most have the average temps for all seasons, along with rainfall & snowfall amounts. They usually have the elevation listed also and I'm finding that useful since the higher elevations tend to be cooler, especially in the evening and night.
Thanks! I was thinking about this after I posted it. I remember winters up here starting in October and lasting into May with snowfalls that reached the roof of houses. Summer temperatures back then only reached the 80's. The last few years we've been lucky to get 2 feet of snow which dosen't come until around Christmas and summer temperatures have gone up into the 90's regurlary and sometimes hitting 100. I read an article about a climate shift predicted due to a shift in the magnetic poles and that climates were going to shift. Maybe we're going to become the new Florida???? In which case I have some property about an hour from the ocean. Anybody wanna buy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee