Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2007, 06:43 AM

176 posts, read 650,615 times

Advertisements

We visited the tri-cities area over Easter and liked what we saw. We're strongly considering buying a lot in the foreseeable future with the intent to eventually build on it for retirement (many moons from now). I'd like to hear from other PA transplants to Tennessee and get your general impressions: was the adjustment difficult? Did it meet or exceed your expectations, or were you disappointed? How similar or different is TN from PA?
We live in NE PA, about 1/2 hr from Scranton. The tri-cities reminded us of our area: Scranton and Wilkes-Barre sized cities with rural areas nearby. Both are popular relocation destinations, with PA getting transplants from NY and NJ while TN gets emigres from Florida. The costs of living in both areas is below the national average.
I know of some PA residents who, like us, are interested in moving to TN, such as FirefighterDon and Shenandoah. We'd like to hear from any and all PA emigrants to anywhere in TN who've already made the move, and would especially be interested in hearing from anyone from NE PA as well as anyone who moved to the tri-cities region. THanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 05:12 AM

61 posts, read 243,141 times
Cougarm, looks like either PA transplants aren't responding. If they're from our area they're probably afraid to let the word out for fear of what happened here! Oh well. We've moved our vacation up to mid June vs. July. Guess this Spring weather got to me. Don't feel like waiting until July.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:09 AM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,803,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighterdon View Post
Don't feel like waiting until July.
Wish we could move our date up, but can't. November is when hubby gets laid off, so that's when we vacation. I read these forums, look at the real estate ads, check the job listings for Cookeville and get antsy!

Can I throw a tantrum here?

*TANTRUM ALERT - TANTRUM ALERT!!

I WANNA COME DOWN NOW!!!!! WAHHHHHH!!!!

......ok, tantrum done. I've got that out of my system. NOT!

The JC area looks nice too. We'll be spending a day there, also most likely, when we come down. All depends on what my research brings, and what info my hubby gets when he makes a few phone calls (*prodding procrastinating husband). Right now, I'm centering on a circu****ence of about 30-35 miles around Cookeville.

We'll see. It's all in God's hands.

blessings, Shen

Old 04-25-2007, 10:15 AM

61 posts, read 243,141 times
Shen, I know what you're saying about checking the real estate ads. I've seen so many great looking places. We are going to look at specific areas first in June and hopefully find one or two areas that we really like. Then we will look for something in those areas. I don't think it will be too hard to find something in any specific area from the looks of things. We want to get out of the cities but are going to look from Byrdstown east to around Rogersville in N TN. This whole area looks a lot like PA and is within driving distance to almost everything that I care about.

I think the Spring weather is getting all of us antsy!

Like you said, it's all in God's hands. My wife always says if it's meant to be it will happen.

Don

Old 04-25-2007, 10:50 AM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighterdon View Post
My wife always says if it's meant to be it will happen.

Don
My hubby always says that too. I checked around the Byrdstown TN area also, liked what I saw, very much, but am doubtful about work for hubby in that area. There's a town named Parker just north of Byrdstown that I told hubby we were fated to live in - my maiden name is Parker.

blessings, Shen

Old 04-28-2007, 08:42 PM

25 posts, read 100,726 times
I am from the pittsburgh area, and we are moving down at the end of July to the Oak ridge area. I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-29-2007, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carebear76 View Post
I am from the pittsburgh area, and we are moving down at the end of July to the Oak ridge area. I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What part of Pittsburgh do you live? I am 40 miles north, above Cranberry and Zelienople. There's another local Pittsburgh'er, lives in West Newton who's moving down, also.

blessings, Shen

Old 05-02-2007, 12:27 AM

25 posts, read 100,726 times
I live in Zelienople.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:11 PM

Default Ellwood City PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by carebear76 View Post
I live in Zelienople.
No!! I'm just outside of Ellwood City, near Shakespeare's!

blessings, Shen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee