Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 05:21 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,796,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALML View Post
Hey Shen, that is very interesting. I read a book a number of years ago entitled "Ride the Wind" can't remember the author and I pretty sure it was historical fiction.......but I enjoyed it. It is definately a woman's story about Cynthia Ann Parker. I was sobbing like a baby at the end. If interested, ya might still be able to get it at Amazon or other major book dealers....if it is still in print.
ALML, I've got that book, read it years ago, too. It was good. There are a number of books out on Cynthia Ann Parker's story, as well as Quanah Parker. But 'Ride the Wind' is up there for being very well written, and pretty well true to the story. And yes, for her, it wasn't a happy ending. Prejudices of the day, and a broken heart.

blessings, Shen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 05:44 PM

81 posts, read 307,939 times
I had always hoped Robert Redford would get that book some way and make it a movie. It was such a sad story and things like that did happen back then. So, so tragic for those involved. My great great grandmother had to sell my greatgrandmother (couldn't afford to feed the kids) as a group of men killed her husband when they found out he was married to an indian. That was a long time ago. I do believe, as humans, we have come a long way since then.....with more work to do however:>)

Old 04-23-2007, 05:49 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,796,826 times
Quote:
I had always hoped Robert Redford would get that book some way and make it a movie. It was such a sad story and things like that did happen back then. So, so tragic for those involved. My great great grandmother had to sell my greatgrandmother (couldn't afford to feed the kids) as a group of men killed her husband when they found out he was married to an indian. That was a long time ago. I do believe, as humans, we have come a long way since then.....with more work to do however:>)
Redford did do a pretty good job with Jeremiah Johnson. I may not agree with his politics, but he does make good movies.

blessings, Shen

Old 04-23-2007, 06:22 PM

7,504 posts, read 17,118,456 times
Hmm, let's see, most of my family (on all sides - I come from mountain folk) descends directly from the clan Shelton, moste noble

I am kin, as we would say, to a couple Cherokee ladies, Glumdalclitch and her neice (or maybe it's granddaughter) Glumdalclitch Shawheehou. The first Glum was quite the woman and had several children (including my gxgrandfather, "Duck"...ha) by several different men.

I'm also closely (relatively) kin to prezzie Andy Johnson (I'm from Greeneville originally) and, much farther off, to my favourite author, Jane Austen.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:32 PM

20,231 posts, read 19,787,225 times
Merriwether Lewis is in my family tree.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:45 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,656,701 times
Default good eats

my grandmother's maiden name is Hormel....as in the chili

Old 04-24-2007, 09:50 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,359,403 times
Quote:
My great great grandmother was a Cherokee maiden in Kentucky. Her father traded her to my great great grandfather for some flour and sugar. Things like this probably happened far more than we realize. But I'm very proud of my Cherokee heritage.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:00 PM

13,905 posts, read 3,364,524 times
Ok! I've hesitated posting over here because everytime I tell people this they don't believe me. My aunt had my family tree traced on my mother's side. My ancestor's name was Molly O'Hare. She came to Americat when she was 16 and married a Tanner (name not profession). From there I have outlaws that actually rode with Jessee James. They even made a movie about the Tanner brothers. They were train robbers and horse thieves and were finally hung. We actually had moonshiners and rum runners in the family some of them from Tennessee and a couple of gangsters in Chicago and Ohio during Al Capone's time. Is it any wonder I can't behave? And thanks to Ridgerunner we've already been over the Leif Erickson comedy routine (thanks Ridgerunner)

On my fathers side, I am directly descended from New Hampshire Algonquin Indians. My great, great grandfather Willey married an Algonquin and opened a trading post about a mile from where I grew up. I am also part English on my fathers side but we don't know much about the family there. It's probably a good thing.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:04 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,359,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaygirl05 View Post
I have a friend who's last name is McCoy, he's from Missouri though, so I'm not sure if there's any relation.
Hello again, Kaygirl05. The Hatfields and McCoys lived in the vicinity of Pike County, KY and neighboring West VA. There is a bronze statue in Pikeville commemorating the famous feud. And I believe the two families have a joint reunion periodically.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:32 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,335,298 times
My hubby is the one with the skeletons. His mother used to be the lookout for her father, who was a rum runner during prohibition. LOL My dad's family came here from England via Australia in a convict ship. I've been able to trace his family back to France with William the Conquerer in 1066. This is the same side that Lady Jane Grey is on. My mom's family line is rather boring. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee