Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 08:07 AM

81 posts, read 308,147 times

Advertisements

On a past thread some people mentioned VERY famous relatives like Lief Erickson and Sir Walter Raleigh.....Now I'm wondering about all the good stories out there!
I don't think we have anyone famous in our family but there is a cute story my Mother used to tell me and it went like this:
My Greatgrandfather came over from Ireland and lived in Missouri. His son (my grandfather) left home at about 14 years old......now Mom never said what he did until he met my Grandmother (part Cherokee) in Oklahoma. From what I was told however, my Grandmother would get really upset when my Grandfather's friends, "the Younger brothers", would visit him at their ranch. By all accounts, she put here foot down and would not let them come around once they had children. I have always wondered if my grandfather was in their gang for a while. About all I remember from school is many of those outlaws, including the James brothers were from or lived in Missouri at one time. One of these days I'll have to do some research and try to separate fact from fiction. It would be great to hear from anyone and those who have history in Tenn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 08:14 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,607,378 times
Horse thieves. That's all I'm sayin'.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:23 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,154,037 times
The James brothers lived in the Nashville area for a while. One of the houses they lived at is still in the Joelton area. Funny, as I recall, there is now a bank almost across the street.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:35 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,339,177 times
Had an ancestor who was beheaded. Seems she did not want to be the queen of England. Lady Jane Grey.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:49 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,154,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
Had an ancestor who was beheaded. Seems she did not want to be the queen of England. Lady Jane Grey.
There's a nice little movie about her. The title is Lady Jane, I believe.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:09 AM

I saw the movie. I am facinated by that era. "Lady Jane" was very good!ShowTime is presently airing a series about "The Tudors" if anyone is intested.
That is funny about the bank and Jessie James. I think Tennesse has a ton of such tales. Maybe we will hear from one of the Hatfields or McCoys LOL.
I think I remember one of the first settlements out of Jamestown was in E. Tenn. and I have always wondered what creative liberties Disney took with Davey Crockett :>)

Old 04-23-2007, 11:51 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,104,290 times
My father's family claims we are "direct decendents" of Mary Queen of Scotts.

I think they make up stuff.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:56 AM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,798,098 times
There's some WV pig thieves in mine, as well as ministers, a magician, train conductor, farmers, Irish and German immigrants back in the 1700's, English in the 1600's, wanderers, travelers, and the last War Chief of the Comanches (Quanah Parker).

blessings, Shen

Old 04-23-2007, 02:59 PM

Cool That's so cool

Hey Shen, that is very interesting. I read a book a number of years ago entitled "Ride the Wind" can't remember the author and I pretty sure it was historical fiction.......but I enjoyed it. It is definately a woman's story about Cynthia Ann Parker. I was sobbing like a baby at the end. If interested, ya might still be able to get it at Amazon or other major book dealers....if it is still in print.

Hipnapster, I don't think it's lies.....Now we all know where you get your spunk from!!! Ole Mary was a pretty strong adversary to Elizabeth I for a good while.

Old 04-23-2007, 03:24 PM

333 posts, read 975,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALML View Post
I saw the movie. I am facinated by that era. "Lady Jane" was very good!ShowTime is presently airing a series about "The Tudors" if anyone is intested.
That is funny about the bank and Jessie James. I think Tennesse has a ton of such tales. Maybe we will hear from one of the Hatfields or McCoys LOL.
I think I remember one of the first settlements out of Jamestown was in E. Tenn. and I have always wondered what creative liberties Disney took with Davey Crockett :>)
I have a friend who's last name is McCoy, he's from Missouri though, so I'm not sure if there's any relation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee