U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 06:35 PM

6,290 posts, read 20,550,416 times

Advertisements

What kind of work are you looking for, Tony?

And do you have an interest in the Nashville area, or were you pretty much set on the upper East Tennessee area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 06:43 PM

1,044 posts, read 3,525,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HI View Post
What kind of work are you looking for?
Norfolk Southern has seen fit to fly me down to Atlanta from WA state twice now for interviews for an Operations manager job, that's mainly what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for management, logistics, transportation, warehouse, admin, supply, professional or instructor positions.

I've managed 35 personnel, operated cranes, winches, ships, boats, trucks, forklifts, tools (power/hand), I've ran maintenance departments, managed departmental budgets, ran supply departments, scheduled, supervised and evaluated personnel, I've been an EMT, CNA, etc.

I've had a varied career, I'd like to make in the 40k - 50k range, but would start in the low to mid 30k range to get a foot in the door.

I'm extending my visit here until friday to try and secure a few more interviews. Let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks

Tony

Old 04-24-2007, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
What kind of work are you looking for, Tony?

And do you have an interest in the Nashville area, or were you pretty much set on the upper East Tennessee area?
I'm open to anywhere, but I've never been to Nashville.......isn't Nashville very crowded? I hear there are nearly 6 million people there.

But if you have a hot lead on someone that is hiring that I can send my resume to and try to set up an interview, I'm all ears.

Tony

Old 04-24-2007, 06:49 PM

11,604 posts, read 31,777,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1790 View Post
I'm open to anywhere, but I've never been to Nashville.......isn't Nashville very crowded? I hear there are nearly 6 million people there.

But if you have a hot lead on someone that is hiring that I can send my resume to and try to set up an interview, I'm all ears.

Tony
6 million people in Nashville???

The city's population is just over 600,000 with another 900,000 or so in the suburbs. It's a lot more crowded than Knoxville or the Tri Cities, but it's nothing like Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, DC, South Florida (gag), or NYC.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:05 PM

I don't think there's six million people in Tennessee yet. Although, if Floridians keep moving up here . . .

;-)

Old 04-24-2007, 07:12 PM

98 posts, read 349,430 times
well Its sad but we are becoming another North Carolina. This state isnt a secret anymore. How come the West Coast hasent been hit hard with all the "newbies" like we have?

Old 04-24-2007, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
6 million people in Nashville???

The city's population is just over 600,000 with another 900,000 or so in the suburbs. It's a lot more crowded than Knoxville or the Tri Cities, but it's nothing like Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, DC, South Florida (gag), or NYC.
I was thinking 5 and half million (vice 1 and half) and rounded to 6 (bad memory), I guess it's actually 1.5 million in the Nashville Metro area, this website shows a little over 1.2 million in the year 2000.

Still 1.5 million is alot of people, I suppose that should mean alot of jobs as well??

Tony

Old 04-24-2007, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braves_fan View Post
well Its sad but we are becoming another North Carolina. This state isnt a secret anymore. How come the West Coast hasent been hit hard with all the "newbies" like we have?
The West coast has been "the place" for people to move to for 50 years or so, now that it's so crowded and expensive, people are now "finding" places like NC/SC/TN. NC has the national reputation as a place to move, once people find out about how expensive NC has become, they discover TN. I grew up in NC, but I can't afford to live there anymore with taxes and housing costs.

Tony

Old 04-24-2007, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1790 View Post
I was thinking 5 and half million (vice 1 and half) and rounded to 6 (bad memory), I guess it's actually 1.5 million in the Nashville Metro area, this website shows a little over 1.2 million in the year 2000.

Still 1.5 million is alot of people, I suppose that should mean alot of jobs as well??

Tony
The 1.5 million figure is for the Metro Statistical Area, which includes Nashville and surrounding counties.

There is a lot of logistics and distribution type of work here due to the fact that Nashville is centrally located for the eastern half of the US.

But, I'm not trying to talk you into Nashville, but there would certainly be more job opportunities here than in Johnson City.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:02 PM

98 posts, read 349,430 times
If you go to a temp agenecy with a resume they will put you to work ASAP
It might not be the dream job you intended on finding but its a start and income coming in.
I dont buy into the "good ol boy " theory as a reason that transplants cant find the jobs they want... if a company sees that you're qualified and need someone too fill a position they'll hire you if you impress them enough at the interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or