U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-25-2007, 04:19 PM
 
Location: Another Day Closer
13,905 posts, read 2,919,257 times
Reputation: 3483

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Crickets!

I hear them 24/7 365 days a year.

Anyone else have ears that ring nonstop?

I notice that northcountrygirl doesn't have cicadas. Boy are YOU in for a surprise!

We used to chase possums when I was a kid. They're a strange animal. Now I toss out the empty peanut butter jars and they crawl inside and clean them out. Summer or winter.

I don't see as many frogs as I used to. I think they're going the same way as the bee. Pretty soon there won't be any. I do, however, see more birds here. Different kinds, too. I think it's because of the increase in water. Over the last 40 years they've created two large lakes close by and the city where I now live requires a basin to make up for the watershed lost by large parking lots.

Coyotes are still around, but being pushed out by the burbs. Deer are everywhere, and I mean everywhere! It is now possible to get a bow license to shoot deer within 200 feet of housing (with the owners permission). Cougars have been reported, but not confirmed. Timber Wolves once in a while.

Cows, horses, pigs, sheep, goats, llama, bison, emu, ostrich, little pink things that look like midget adults.

Lots of different critters 'round here.
So are you going to tell me about cicadas? We don't have any so I don't know what they are. Or are you just going to let me be surprised! Another question I have concerning critters. Do you have coydogs in Tennessee?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-25-2007, 04:40 PM
 
161 posts, read 559,498 times
Reputation: 70
Default Wildlife

I had started a thread a few weeks ago about wildlife in NE TN and while we only saw some turkeys on our visit there over Easter, the wildlife is pretty much the same as here in NE PA. Last week our lab had a close encounter of the worst kind with a skunk right in our driveway and this morning I saw a large dead beaver smack dab in the middle of the road (no mistaking that tail) just a few hundred yards from our house. And to all those who mentioned peepers: has anyone had them stick to a door or window? Occasionally one will climb the side glass panel by the front door. I didn't realize they were voyeurs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2007, 04:43 PM
 
Location: Another Day Closer
13,905 posts, read 2,919,257 times
Reputation: 3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougargm View Post
I had started a thread a few weeks ago about wildlife in NE TN and while we only saw some turkeys on our visit there over Easter, the wildlife is pretty much the same as here in NE PA. Last week our lab had a close encounter of the worst kind with a skunk right in our driveway and this morning I saw a large dead beaver smack dab in the middle of the road (no mistaking that tail) just a few hundred yards from our house. And to all those who mentioned peepers: has anyone had them stick to a door or window? Occasionally one will climb the side glass panel by the front door. I didn't realize they were voyeurs
Actually, we find them stuck everywhere, especially behind the shutters. Sometimes it's pretty much a game following the sounds to find them. As for the guy who asked about eating frogs, my husband just commented that to eat peepers you'd have to catch about 300 of them to make a snack. Have you ever had any white peepers. We had some here for the first time last summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2007, 04:46 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
6,290 posts, read 20,565,526 times
Reputation: 1666
The thread started out being about hearing frogs . . . and now it's about eating them! ;-)

We have plenty of deer and wild turkeys on our place in Montgomery County. Also Bobwhite quail and an assortment of other birds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2007, 05:34 PM
 
26,949 posts, read 38,201,283 times
Reputation: 34899
Quote:
So are you going to tell me about cicadas?
If you move to an area where there are cicada you will very quickly tire of hearing them! Noisy, noisy, noisy. Obnoxiously so.

Def. A large winged insect that lives in trees and tall grass, the male of which makes a shrill sound. Family: Cicadidae

"Dead beaver [sic] in the middle of the road stinkin' to high heaven!"

Coydog? Is that the same as a Coyote?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2007, 05:51 PM
 
Location: Another Day Closer
13,905 posts, read 2,919,257 times
Reputation: 3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
If you move to an area where there are cicada you will very quickly tire of hearing them! Noisy, noisy, noisy. Obnoxiously so.

Def. A large winged insect that lives in trees and tall grass, the male of which makes a shrill sound. Family: Cicadidae

"Dead beaver [sic] in the middle of the road stinkin' to high heaven!"

Coydog? Is that the same as a Coyote?
No, a Coydog is actually a hybrid between a wolf and a domestic dog. We have them up here and when you hear them in the woods the hair will stand up all over your body not just your arms. They travel in packs and are dangerous to housecats. I'm used to animals, I have lived in the woods all my life but the first time I heard them......well lets just say "feet don't fail me now" had a whole new meaning and I'm glad to hear you don't have them. Another nasty one we have is Fischer Cats. Tell me you don't have those either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2007, 08:05 PM
 
26,949 posts, read 38,201,283 times
Reputation: 34899
No, don't think so. At first I thought it was a wolverine, but they don't climb trees. They'll tear you a new one, though.

A place I used to work had one build a den on campus. When the caretaker mowed the lawn and got too close the Wolverine would come out and attack the mower. Tore the heck out of one of the tires once. Not an animal to corner.

Which just reminded about another animal we have here. The same campus had RR tracks running at the edge of the property and they were built up so there was a small, steep slope leading up to them.

There were two families of Red Fox living in the slope one on each side of a road that ran perpendicular to the RR tracks. Beautiful to see and really cool when the kits were about!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2007, 08:08 PM
 
Location: Seattle
6,486 posts, read 13,797,895 times
Reputation: 2764
Every, what, 7, 8 years? the cicadas come out in full force. My house is surrounded by woods so it's like a death bomb. SCRUNCH SCRUNCH SCRUNCH!!!!!! After a few days it's enough to drive you insanely crazy!

We call 'em locusts, locally, though. But I understand they're different animals, or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2007, 08:21 PM
 
Location: Another Day Closer
13,905 posts, read 2,919,257 times
Reputation: 3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
No, don't think so. At first I thought it was a wolverine, but they don't climb trees. They'll tear you a new one, though.

A place I used to work had one build a den on campus. When the caretaker mowed the lawn and got too close the Wolverine would come out and attack the mower. Tore the heck out of one of the tires once. Not an animal to corner.

Which just reminded about another animal we have here. The same campus had RR tracks running at the edge of the property and they were built up so there was a small, steep slope leading up to them.

There were two families of Red Fox living in the slope one on each side of a road that ran perpendicular to the RR tracks. Beautiful to see and really cool when the kits were about!
Great No Fischer Cats! I'll come down. Fischer cats are about the size of a rabbit with the attitude of a wolverine and they are extremely aggressive. We had one come out of the woods onto the ice once when we were ice skating and we had a big tire fire going at the time. He put us right up a tar road ice skates and all. We had a family of Red Foxes that we fed last year. It began with the male and female and then they eventually brought the kits out when they were big enough. I think I have pictures of them somewhere I'll have to look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2007, 08:23 PM
 
Location: Another Day Closer
13,905 posts, read 2,919,257 times
Reputation: 3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Every, what, 7, 8 years? the cicadas come out in full force. My house is surrounded by woods so it's like a death bomb. SCRUNCH SCRUNCH SCRUNCH!!!!!! After a few days it's enough to drive you insanely crazy!

We call 'em locusts, locally, though. But I understand they're different animals, or something.
It's a good thing that I'm a little hard of hearing then huh? Actually though I like the sound of frogs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top