U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2009, 06:53 PM

1 posts, read 6,645 times

Advertisements

We(husband, two children girl 5 and boy 3) are looking at moving to Tullahoma. We visited there last year and I must admit that I fell in love with the town as well as the area. Of course my question to all surrounds the area of their school system, employment for me(I am an RN) and cost of living. Would like honest advice on what its like to live there. Any information will be helpful. Thanks so much!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 12:32 PM

2 posts, read 13,927 times
Tullahoma is a very quiet area but is slowly dying. As the depression moves on, businesses are closing and layoffs are happening. There is an element of crime, drug traffic and slight gang involvement but relegated to the housing projects. Taxes are high for this area. Real estate is fairly cheap. The school system is above average for the state but really only boasts academics and sports with the focus on sports. If you have an artistic child, there's no room for them.

Plenty of churches to chose from. The people are very friendly and helpful. The weather has changed drastically over the last few years. Summer used to being in late April and last until early October. Now it doesn't get warm until July and ends in mid September. Temperatures range in the high 80's to low 90's where they used to be in the 100's. Winters are usually mild with February being the coldest and most severe month.

Torandoes usually hit the lower lying areas and not in the city. We haven't had a direct hit since the super outbreak of 1974. You do get used to the warnings and the sirens. Just be alert and don't get hurt. There are 3 distinct tornado seasons. February can have some pretty powerful ones. The worst is late March and early April. Then the fall season starts in October and November.

There is absolutely nothing for kids to do here. There is a roller rink, bowling alley and community centers but I would not let my child go there without supervision. There is some rough trade there at times. There is an indoor and outdoor swimming pool which are fine. We are close to several lakes and most people take to the lake in the summer. They have very nice accomodations and marinas as well as the state park in Awalt.

The cost of living is a little high for the low wages you get here. Don't expect to make bunches of money in medical. It is a very low paying area. My recommendation would be Murfreesboro or Nashville if you are an RN. Utilities are just ridiculous here. Rent for a full sized house will be 700 - 800 a month. Most modest size olders home sell in the 90's. Newer homes in the mid 100's.

We are prone to draught in the summer. There's lots of farm land and you are close to the mountains. About 20 minutes and you are in the mountains. Not a lot of activities up there but some very interesting ones. Just do not get off the beaten path! It is still very rural up there. If you are not from up there, you have no business being there. Stick with the advertised attractions. Don't go exploring the backwoods.

The inner city population is probably about 18,000. Tullahoma is annexed into the county regions and all together I'd say about 30,000 including those areas. Tullahoma sits in Coffee, Franklin, Bedford and Moore counties.

The shopping district has all but closed. Corporate stores have been closed. It would be a great opportunity for a Mom and Pop outfit to take advantage of right now. You are also 1 hour from 3 major cities - Nashville, Chattanooga and Huntsville Alabama. All have excellent attractions, shopping, food, etc. It's very handy and still come home to rural quiet.

Gas prices usually run higher than the national average. Local government is kind of weak and focuses on the sporting events and keeping up the sporting arenas instead of paying attention to critical areas. Law enforcement is very weak. They don't like to get involved in a lot of disputes or action.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:31 PM

7 posts, read 24,740 times
I have to diagree with a few facts presented by 2agray. The statement of "dying slowly" is a gross overstatement. Yes the "recession" is effecting Tullahoma as well as the rest of the country. The closing business' are actually a major regional chain (Goodys) went bankrupt and closed all their stores in the south, a major retailer (Dillards) closing several stores as a result of downsizing. The Tullahoma store had better sales than some other Dillards in the region which remained open. A regional Grocery Chain store closed a while back when the parent company went under. As in any economy; some small business' have failed. But others have opened.

As for the schools only boasting academics and sports .... I thought that academics was what they were supposed to do? Tullahoma Schools are consistantly rated as one of the best in the state. Several parents from surrounding areas outside Tullahoma pay over $1,000 a year tuition to sent their children to Tullahoma schools. The High School boasts a 60% rate of graduates going to college. The ACT/SAT scores are consistantly above the National and State averages. I am not sure what 2agray means by "artistic" but the Tullahoma band is one the most awarded bands in the Middle Tn area.

Where the weather information came from I don't know. This year was cooler than most with excessive rainfall. 2008 was however a record setting year with several days in a row at or above 100 degrees. The temps have never been in the hundreds as a norm. The average highs have always been around 90. So it does get hot here regularity. The stated winter weather is accurate as is the info on tornadoes.

As for nothing for the kids to do. There are 2 recreation centers, 7 parks, indoor and outdoor pools, greenway systems, 23 ballfields, and Short springs state natural area are some of the many recreational activities to enjoy. My son frequently patronized the Bowling Alley and Skating Rinks. One skating Rink is in Tullahoma and another about 5 miles out of town. I never knew of any "rough trade" (not really sure what that curtails). As in any establishment with juveniles, there are ocassional problems. There are three nice lakes within a 30 minute drive of Tullahoma as stated.

The mountains are as welcoming to all as most any area. I have lived in this area (Coffee and Franklin Counties) my whole life (50 years). I have sent much time on/in the mountains and never had a problem.

Let's look at the "very low paying area". Following are the State of Tn. Wage and Labor Dept.'s statistics as of 2008:
Coffee County (Tullahoma's Home) weekly wage $683 annual wage $35,500
Franklin County (border county) .....................$574 ................$29,900
Bedford County (border county) ......................$613 .................$31,900
Warren County (border county) ......................$641 ..................$33,321
Moore County (border county) ........................$667 .................$34,700
Rutherford County (nearest large city) .............$791 ..................$41,150
So Tullahoma is above every surrounding county but below one of the fastest growing counties in the country (for many years) Rutherford slightly.

The mentioned home prices are accurate. Compare these to other areas! Utilities are from the City utilities board. The power is purchased from TVA, one of the lowest electrical rates in the country. Having lived in two other local towns, the rates are very competitive.

Tullahoma population is approx. 18,000 as stated and that is Tullahoma's population. There are 40,000 people in Coffee county. Tullahoma sits in only Coffee and Franklin Counties. Moore County is a metropolitian county so surrounding towns in other counties can not occupy any area in their county. Tullahoma does not extend into Bedford County.

Gas prices for today (9/29/2009) in Tullahoma is $2.26 Gallon. Tennessee avg. is $2.26 and the National average is $2.50 Gallon. The Tn. avg. is the seventh lowest in the nation.

I will not get into a political discussion on the local government. All I can say is that any time I needed something done and contacted a Tullahoma city dept., I got fast response and action. I have never had dealings with the police so I can not say whether they are weak or not. I have never been in a dispute which required police. I don't think disputes are what they are for.

I do not mean to discredit 2agray, just stated the facts as they actually are. I really like living in Tullahoma and want anyone thinking of moving here to have the correct facts. 2agray seems to not like Tullahoma and the "facts" appear to be opinions which is fine.

Last edited by autobuff; 09-29-2009 at 02:44 PM..

Old 09-30-2009, 10:10 AM

4,925 posts, read 10,249,111 times
+1 to autobuff. Lived in a neighboring county off and on for over 30 years...accurate assessment.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:40 AM

1 posts, read 3,269 times
Hi all, we just purchased 13 acres here and hoping to retire in Tullahoma this summer
..when our house in sold in Chicago. It has 2 barns so we would like to get 2 horses and a cow. Just live the simply life!
We have family in Winchester, Belvidere and one in Tullahoma. I see your post are all awhile ago...hope it is a quiet friendly town....what more can you ask for at retirement! We understand Winchester has a movie theatre (what we really like to do) and lots of wonderful people! Thanks, Deb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee