Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 01:10 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,172,828 times

Advertisements

There's always stories about the people on the rivers.

Here's one. During the Civil War there was a fort in Clarksville near where the Cumberland and Red River met. They called it Fort Defiant. And it was too . . . until Grant came up the river with a whole bunch of gunboats. Then it became Fort Let's-Get-the-Hell-Out-Of-Here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 01:18 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,799,960 times
Ahhhh, perhaps that explains cheap property values in Celina, Beth Page (on Wolf Creek) Tn?

blessings, Shen

Old 04-25-2007, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenandoah View Post
Ahhhh, perhaps that explains cheap property values in Celina, Beth Page (on Wolf Creek) Tn?

blessings, Shen
Don't think of it that way. Think of it as a way to get in on lakefront property early.

"Why, this deck would make a lovely boat dock!"

Old 04-25-2007, 01:31 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
Don't think of it that way. Think of it as a way to get in on lakefront property early.

"Why, this deck would make a lovely boat dock!"
Yeh, just like Reno, Nevada would make lovely ocean front property.

That explains a few things. The Tri Cities area are looking better and better. Well, I really can't count out Cookeville area, just need to look to the west of there, instead of east. I guess I won't be commuting to Hendersonville, then.

There's also south of Nashville, a little bit past Columbia, and the Pikeville area, that looks nice. Well, hubby just needs to make some phone calls so I can narrow this search down from 1/2 the state to perhaps only 1/3.

No really, where does the flood plain run?

blessings, Shen

Old 04-25-2007, 01:42 PM

You mean the future island of Hendersonville? It'll be lovely.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
You mean the future island of Hendersonville? It'll be lovely.
Yes, I can boat commute instead of by car.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:47 PM

86 posts, read 372,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsmith2240 View Post
I want to live somewhere where it is a little more old fashioned living ie; moms stay home, children can play outside together, people have high morals and there is a sense of community. I want backyard barbeques with friends and neighbors and a place where people treat each other kindly. I want a slower more simple life.... I love rolling hills, streams, mountain scenery, etc. just don't want to be on a mountain.... I would love to have water in my backyard. I am also looking for good schools and low crime.... Looking for home in 200,000 range with 4 bdrm 2 bath, 2000+ sq. ft.
I was born and raised in Colonial Heights (suburb of Kingsport) and you pretty much described my childhood.... block parties, bicycling to friends' houses, walking down the road to have "stick races" in the creek, swimming in friends' pools, selling girl scout cookies door-to-door. My list could go on for a long time. The schools there are very good (Miller Perry Elem. or Rock Springs Elem., Colonial Heights Middle, and Sullivan South High). I attended them and I've taught in them, and there isn't much that I would say bad about them. If your children are interested in sports, the area also has a fabulous recreational league, Colonial Heights Athletic Commission (CHAC and called "chac"), which offers t-ball, baseball, softball, basketball, volleyball, and football from 5 years old through high school. My parents still live there with my youngest brother and sister (8th and 10th grades). It's gotten a little bigger, but IMO it hasn't changed much since I was a child (I'm 25 now). Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts are still very popular (both of my brothers are Eagle Scouts). Everyone knows everyone else from CHAC or church. Kids still run across the street to their friends' houses. For graduation, it is customary to host a bbq or pool party. It's a beautiful area full of wonderful people. If your husband has a job opportunity in the Tri-Cities, I would definitely recommend looking into the Colonial Heights area. I wish you the best!!!

Old 04-25-2007, 04:10 PM

176 posts, read 649,233 times
Wink I know the place you're seeking

FS, the place you described fits my area to a T- NE PA Not where FirefighterDon lives (he's about an hr east of us and his area is suffering from a wave of NY/NJ transplants). Check out the thread I wrote in the PA forum about Waymart and Honesdale, PA...where half the town marches in the Flag Day parade and the other half lines the streets to watch, and afterwards the town has a picnic/cookout; at Halloween the local stores donate hot dogs, donuts, cider and hot chocolate, and the town congregates for the cookout in the park...you get the idea...I don't think you mentioned weather, though. If you don't mind single digit temps, with wind chills sometimes below 0, snow storms of 20 inches or snow at one time, small stream flooding when the snow melts too quickly, then NE PA is a winter wonderland, especially if you enjoy skiing, snowmobiling, etc.
Which is why we're looking at the tri-cities and Greeneville area for our retirement (way off right now). I could take a dozen photos of Fall Branch, Jonesborough, etc and my family and friends would think I took them here in NE PA (except we're just starting to get buds on the trees and some bulbs are just emerging, while NE TN is in full bloom judging by MBMouse's photos). I honestly don't think we'd like middle or western TN very much from what we've read, but eastern TN has some areas that closely resemble our area.
And Shen, while we haven't been as far west as I think you are in PA, if you're at all familiar with NE PA and like the area, then I think the tri-cities should definitely be on your must-see list

Old 04-25-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougargm View Post
And Shen, while we haven't been as far west as I think you are in PA, if you're at all familiar with NE PA and like the area, then I think the tri-cities should definitely be on your must-see list
It's on my list. There's one particular piece of property that we've had our eye on for a few months, and just hoping that it'll still be available in November (doubtful). It's located about one hour north of JC.

blessings, Shen

Old 04-25-2007, 04:42 PM

81 posts, read 197,185 times
Thanks for the info. It looks like I will have to investigate the tri-city area next time. I hope we can maybe go this summer. How far is the tri-cty area from Nashville? Also how is tri-city from Cookeville? I think PA would be too cold for us. My husband is a FL native and I have been here 33 yrs although I am originally from CT. Is Jonesborough a suburb in the tri-cities? We really liked Hendersonville when we were up there but it sounds as if E. TN might be a little more what I am looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee