U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-25-2007, 06:54 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
6,290 posts, read 20,561,593 times
Reputation: 1666

Advertisements

Tri-Cities is about as far away from Nashville as possible and still be in Tennessee. Something like 250 miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-25-2007, 09:44 PM
 
Location: Beautiful East TN!!
7,281 posts, read 18,716,772 times
Reputation: 2751
I can get to Cookeville in about 3 1/2 to 4 hours and Nashville in 5. Long but nice drive.

Last edited by JMT; 02-22-2012 at 04:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2007, 06:46 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
33,952 posts, read 32,416,664 times
Reputation: 49913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Hello again, Alleycat. The Corps of Engineers "assures" us that if the dam ever ruptures Nashville will have 24 hours to evacuate and prevent any casualities but damage costs will be in the billions.
But, think of all of the new country songs that would come out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2007, 06:51 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
6,290 posts, read 20,561,593 times
Reputation: 1666
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
But, think of all of the new country songs that would come out of it.
I could write one. Maybe title it My Pickup's Done Floated Away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2007, 08:15 AM
 
Location: Hawaii
86 posts, read 341,615 times
Reputation: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsmith2240 View Post
Thanks for the info. It looks like I will have to investigate the tri-city area next time. I hope we can maybe go this summer. How far is the tri-cty area from Nashville? Also how is tri-city from Cookeville? I think PA would be too cold for us. My husband is a FL native and I have been here 33 yrs although I am originally from CT. Is Jonesborough a suburb in the tri-cities? We really liked Hendersonville when we were up there but it sounds as if E. TN might be a little more what I am looking for.
From Kingsport, it took us 3 to three-and-a-half hours to get to Cookeville and about 5 to get to Nashville. Jonesborough is between Kingsport and Johnson City. It is a beautiful area. It is one of the more rural areas, but it has a beautiful downtown district... small shops line the street. If you visit Jonesborough, see if you can stay in the Eureka Inn. I have also heard good things about Hendersonville, though I don't know much about it personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2007, 03:57 PM
 
10 posts, read 21,968 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsmith2240 View Post
Hi, I am still in search of somewhere in TN to live that would be what I am looking for. There are so many areas that sound so wonderful, that I would need weeks just to go and explore. I would like to narrow down if possible. I want to live somewhere where it is a little more old fashioned living ie; moms stay home, children can play outside together, people have high morals and there is a sense of community. I want backyard barbeques with friends and neighbors and a place where people treat each other kindly. I want a slower more simple life, but I don't know if we could do without all the conveniences we are used to here in south fl. I can't wait to get out of Florida, but I need to not have to drive an hour just to get groceries, etc. I also love to be in beautiful country. I love rolling hills, streams, mountain scenery, etc. just don't want to be on a mountain. Too scary to drive I would love to have water in my backyard. I am also looking for good schools and low crime. I know, I am asking for something that doesn't exist, but is there anything close to it? The only areas I have seen are the Nashville area and suburbs. I really liked them, but I am also intersted in E. Tn and Chatanooga areas and Tri-Cities. See my dilemma? Would like to know more about Greenville and surrounding areas also. Also I need to find a job for my husband who works in the hard flooring industry (sales). Hopefully, Iv've given enough info for someone to respond. Sorry this is so long. Please help if you can. Thanks!
Oh, PS. Looking for home in 200,000 range with 4 bdrm 2 bath, 2000+ sq. ft.
Hi fsmith2240,

Sounds like you've just described Smithville, TN. I just moved to Smithville from South Florida (Coral Springs, to be exact) 6 months ago and LOVE it here. It is not terribly mountainous, lots of rolling hills, but having lived in South FL flat lands, even still I'm having to get used to the winding roads! We have Center Hill Lake right here in Smithville. It's one of the cleanest lakes in Middle TN and many of the Nashville recording artists (Alan Jackson, Aaron Tippin, John Anderson, to name a few) as well as Darrell Waltrip have homes on the lake. Here's a website that tells a little more about Smithville. www.smithvilletn.com. This is the website my husband and I used quite a bit before making our final decision to move here.

The weather here is awesome compared to SFL. Being in the higher elevation, there is MUCH less humidity. Take today for example: Beautiful balmy day at 65-70 degrees. Love it!

We have several larger cities surrounding us (sparta, McMinnville, Cookeville) within a half hour drive (literal half hour drive- not going 10 miles and taking 30 minutes) if you're concerned about your husband's job prospects.

As a side note, I Moderator cut: Realtor advertising/solicitation
Hope to see you in TN soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2007, 11:33 AM
 
7 posts, read 32,419 times
Reputation: 12
Can anyone tell me if Tenn. has a free tuition program for high achieving resident students?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2007, 11:10 AM
 
81 posts, read 169,947 times
Reputation: 29
Default I think I found it!

Since my original post, I traveled to Tri-Cities and absolutely fell in love! Now I just have to find hubbie a good job in outside sales (flooring) Also need to know if there are many non demonational christian churches in the area. This will be very important. I can't wait to make another trip. Any help is greatly appreciated. Mbmouse's advice is great. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2007, 09:28 PM
 
11,612 posts, read 31,808,854 times
Reputation: 8213
Quote:
Originally Posted by suthrnborne View Post
Can anyone tell me if Tenn. has a free tuition program for high achieving resident students?
All recent high school graduates of Tennessee who score reasonably well on the ACT or SAT can attend public universities in Tennessee for essentially very little money as long as they maintain a B average. It's called the Hope Scholarship. Do a search on the Tennessee Department of Education web site for Hope Scholarship, and it should give you the specifics.

Additional scholarships are, of course, available to those students who maintain exceptional grades, meaning that some students at Tennessee's public universities actually make money while in school. I had a student this past semester who bought a car with the scholarship money she was receiving because of her exceptional grades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2007, 11:55 PM
 
Location: White Pine, TN
111 posts, read 332,173 times
Reputation: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsmith2240 View Post
Hi, I am still in search of somewhere in TN to live that would be what I am looking for. There are so many areas that sound so wonderful, that I would need weeks just to go and explore. I would like to narrow down if possible. I want to live somewhere where it is a little more old fashioned living ie; moms stay home, children can play outside together, people have high morals and there is a sense of community. I want backyard barbeques with friends and neighbors and a place where people treat each other kindly. I want a slower more simple life, but I don't know if we could do without all the conveniences we are used to here in south fl. I can't wait to get out of Florida, but I need to not have to drive an hour just to get groceries, etc. I also love to be in beautiful country. I love rolling hills, streams, mountain scenery, etc. just don't want to be on a mountain. Too scary to drive I would love to have water in my backyard. I am also looking for good schools and low crime. I know, I am asking for something that doesn't exist, but is there anything close to it? The only areas I have seen are the Nashville area and suburbs. I really liked them, but I am also intersted in E. Tn and Chatanooga areas and Tri-Cities. See my dilemma? Would like to know more about Greenville and surrounding areas also. Also I need to find a job for my husband who works in the hard flooring industry (sales). Hopefully, Iv've given enough info for someone to respond. Sorry this is so long. Please help if you can. Thanks!
Oh, PS. Looking for home in 200,000 range with 4 bdrm 2 bath, 2000+ sq. ft.
Jefferson, Greene, Hamblen, Cocke counties. Certain parts of Hawkins & maybe Grainger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top