U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 07:03 AM

126 posts, read 208,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane74 View Post
Tennessee passed a permit system and building code (IBC 2009) June 30th 2010, it will apply to additons also by October 1st 2011.

Also the NEC, IECC and IPC are in effect and will be enforced.

Here is a link to an article that describes this:
http://www.nwtntoday.com/news.php?viewStory=32717

It sounds like what we have in PA. It sounds like there are no more places in TN without code. Is that how you all read it?

More nanny state. You don't know what kind of structure you want to live in, how much food you should eat, how much energy you should use (unless you're Al Gore), or how much health care you want to consume....your wants are being socialized, so you will want what the state decides you should want, and then they'll ration out some portion of that to you.....amazing how our ancestors built this country without inspectors telling them how to build their log cabins.....oh well, I'm living up to my screen name today.

I can't seem to make the link come out right in the Preview, so it may not show up right. I keep taking off the [url] and it keeps putting it back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 08:38 AM

5,419 posts, read 8,201,788 times
As of last year TN state law said a homeowner could pull a permit for a new house every 2 years. Don't think that has changed. In Knoxville a homeowner can pull a remodeling permit up to 25K. Electrical & Plumbing must be licenced.

The new law allowed counties to opt out of buiding codes - it would be interesting to see if any had.

The reuirement for a separate lot is likely a zoning issue and that would vary from county to county and what zone you are in. Some zones allow 2 or more houses on a lot - but there's no set standard statewide.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:51 AM

15,205 posts, read 10,305,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_grouch View Post
Can you explain in more detail what this means? I am also from PA like some of the other posters here. We have statewide building code, which means the boros and townships have no say, they have been superceded. There are many inspections from start to finish of a building project, and to get a building permit you must have architect signed plans. If the township prefers not to have their own zoning officer do the inspections, they can contract it to a state-approved person, but it has to be done. Deck, addition, shed, driveway (there are a few exceptions, I forget them.)

Is that the type of thing that has just been passed that you are referring to, Hurricane?

I have been saying that people in Tennessee don't know what is in store for them, it's just a matter of time.
Tennessee Adopts New Residential Building Code

Old 08-04-2010, 11:29 AM

375 posts, read 923,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
As of last year TN state law said a homeowner could pull a permit for a new house every 2 years. Don't think that has changed. In Knoxville a homeowner can pull a remodeling permit up to 25K. Electrical & Plumbing must be licenced.

The new law allowed counties to opt out of buiding codes - it would be interesting to see if any had.

Mine did. I expect quite a few of the rural counties will. The anti-regulation sentiment in the back country is still strong.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:54 PM

126 posts, read 208,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarddawg View Post
Mine did. I expect quite a few of the rural counties will. The anti-regulation sentiment in the back country is still strong.
What county are you in?

Old 08-04-2010, 04:45 PM

5,199 posts, read 4,204,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighterdon View Post
PA has gone crazy to the point that everything needs to be inspected by a state licensed inspector. It's to the point that you need to hire contractors to build anything. Plus, in our area, even though I have over 6 acres, I'm limited to one house, one garage, and one other outbuilding, all of which require separate permits and inspections to build, including for sewer, well, and foundation footings. I built my own garage back in the 1980's but wouldn't think of trying it today with all of the nonsense required.
Thank you for your post. We were looking at buying a campground that was pretty run-down, in the middle of PA (seemingly in the middle of nowhere). Then it occurred to us that if PA was anything like NH, we couldn't afford to have the cost of government micro-management added to the cost of fixing things.

I am glad to see that some other Americans understand that we are not slaves to government. I'm surprised certain liberals haven't leaped upon your thread and berated you for suggesting you should be able to build your own garage today, like you did in the 1980s. I know I was viciously attacked for relating my experience, where NH's multitude of complex and ultra-expensive requirements stopped me (and everyone else) from making improvements in an area that desperately needs revitalization.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:45 PM

Nhart, you know some of us are liberalitarians.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:51 PM

5,199 posts, read 4,204,038 times
As is my entire family. Looking forward to a Libertarian President in 2.5 years.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:12 AM

They are? Then why are you painting liberals with such a broad brush?

Hint: read my last post again.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:25 AM

2,773 posts, read 3,676,401 times
Everyone here seems to be focused more on the bad side of building codes (inspection fees, etc.) and not the good side (safety). Also, lots of the discussion is around local restrictions enforced by covenants and zoning laws. The building code (yes, I have a copy here at my desk) doesn't say anything about limiting the number of structures you can build, or the height of fence around your back yard, or how many cows you can run in your 5th floor condo. Nor does it insist that you must build the house before the garage.

Personally, as a structural engineer, I'd love it if TN started fully enforcing building codes (yes, even inspections), even thought it might make me lose money. I used to do lots of forensic structural inspections of homes and businesses. Specifically, I'd crawl around, under, and over the house to figure out why the wall is cracked, or why windows/doors refuse to open, or why the floor is sagging. A surprisingly large number of times the focus would switch from "why did the undesirable thing happen" to "how in the world is this ramshackle pile of 2x4's still standing up?" It's amazing what a supposedly competent contractor can pass off as a structurally sound house.

Even worse are the houses self-built by the owners who have no clue what they're doing. It's their house, who cares how good a job they do, right? Until they move away and sell the house to an unsuspecting buyer who is now stuck owing their life savings with only a pile of junk as collateral. Fortunately, the firm I work for now doesn't do that type of work, because I hated it. The news was almost never good for the homeowner, and it was always expensive.

Same with electrical. I wish I knew who did the electrical work on my house 25 years ago. We've got overloaded circuits, underloaded circuits, and outlets in random parts of the house connected to the same circuit. Apparently, GFI outlets were expensive back then because there was ONE on the entire first floor of my house. I installed more where needed after we moved in. Then one day all our bathroom, kitchen, garage, and outdoor outlets suddenly stopped working. I finally figured out that all these outlets were run off the back of the single GFI outlet in the bathroom, which had tripped. Then there was the time I almost got electrocuted trying to replace a simple light switch, even with the circuit breaker off. Turns out the boneheaded electrician had run a three-way switch for the stair lights using 2-conductor wire (code requires 3-conductor). When he got upstairs he didn't have that extra wire available to return the common to the first switch. So he connected to the common wire in a different circuit, which happens to have been the circuit I was working on. Even though I've got all power off to the switch I'm replacing, I didn't realize that I had 110v power back-feeding through a COMMON wire. After I picked myself back off the floor it took me hours to figure out what had happened. Even the most bone-headed inspector should have caught both of these problems.

Last edited by jwkilgore; 08-09-2010 at 07:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee