U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 10:26 AM

61 posts, read 218,007 times

Advertisements

Does TN have a state building code, follow the international building code, or are building codes specific to certain areas? PA has gone crazy to the point that everything needs to be inspected by a state licensed inspector. It's to the point that you need to hire contractors to build anything. Plus, in our area, even though I have over 6 acres, I'm limited to one house, one garage, and one other outbuilding, all of which require separate permits and inspections to build, including for sewer, well, and foundation footings. I built my own garage back in the 1980's but wouldn't think of trying it today with all of the nonsense required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 10:40 AM

6,290 posts, read 20,550,416 times
Each county or city will have it's own building permit and code requirements. The state is not much involved unless it's the type of building where the State Fire Marshal has authority; in those case the plans have to be reviewed by state.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:44 AM

7,281 posts, read 18,705,867 times
Codes...codes?? we don't have no stinking codes...LOL!! Just kidding. As of right now, all General contractors have to follow the standard national building codes, however, only the electrical has to be inspected by the city/or county inspector. If you want to build anything on your own land, you do not have to have inspections and in most (speaking of North East TN here) out of city limit areas, you do not even have to pull a permit or ask anyones permission (which I personally thing that is the way it should be) but in most city limits you do have to pull a permit, but not have it inspected, fees for permits are very fair and reasonable.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:49 AM

Thanks alleycat & mbmouse. That's what I thought and was hoping to hear which is another reason I'm moving! A few years back I wanted to build a home on my Dad's property for my wife & I. When I approached the Township with the idea I was told it couldn't be done unless we were to subdivide the property which we didn't want to do. Now it's even worse. A friend of mine needs a new roof on his home and was told he needed a permit. Too much regulation and I think a lot of it is not to protect the property owner but to get more income to the government.

Thanks again for the info. We're coming down mid June for 10 days and can hardly wait.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:00 AM

13,905 posts, read 2,916,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighterdon View Post
Thanks alleycat & mbmouse. That's what I thought and was hoping to hear which is another reason I'm moving! A few years back I wanted to build a home on my Dad's property for my wife & I. When I approached the Township with the idea I was told it couldn't be done unless we were to subdivide the property which we didn't want to do. Now it's even worse. A friend of mine needs a new roof on his home and was told he needed a permit. Too much regulation and I think a lot of it is not to protect the property owner but to get more income to the government.

Thanks again for the info. We're coming down mid June for 10 days and can hardly wait.
It's the same up here. Don't build a deck, change a wall, hell don't even sneeze unless you go to the town get it approved, pay a fee, get a permit and then have it inspected. We are also subject to assessment inspections every year now and I mean inside and out. They ask you questions about everything you might have added, removed or improved. This way they can inflate your house value and get more property taxes. Ahhhhhhhhhh, the good old "Live Free or Die State".

Old 04-25-2007, 11:09 AM

1,775 posts, read 7,203,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Codes...codes?? we don't have no stinking codes...LOL!! Just kidding. As of right now, all General contractors have to follow the standard national building codes, however, only the electrical has to be inspected by the city/or county inspector. If you want to build anything on your own land, you do not have to have inspections and in most (speaking of North East TN here) out of city limit areas, you do not even have to pull a permit or ask anyones permission (which I personally thing that is the way it should be) but in most city limits you do have to pull a permit, but not have it inspected, fees for permits are very fair and reasonable.
Thanks for that info as well. We want to build ourselves and this is something we'd have to look into but you've eased my mind a bit.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:17 AM

6,290 posts, read 20,550,416 times
Remember, this varies from location to location. Don't just assume you can move somewhere and not need a building permit or inspections; sometimes you do, sometimes you don't. Generally the larger towns and cities will require more.

And while "Big Brother" might not be as bad here as up north, he's still hungry here. Especially where taxes or fees are involved. Have you ever seen a government that can't spend all the money they collect?

Old 04-25-2007, 11:18 AM

31 posts, read 154,851 times
You need a permit from the State for septic systems

Old 04-25-2007, 11:43 AM

Thanks again to all. Not all permits and inspections are necessarily bad. What I have a big problem with is restricting how many outbuildings, types, etc. that can be built on your own land. I certainly understand sewer permits since not all land is suitable for a septic system. It's just gotten out of hand in our area, unfortunately, a lot because people that hired contractors had no clue as to what to look for in contractors or correct building procedures and everyone else winds up paying the price. Unfortunately, there are fly-by-night contractors that take your money and run, and the cheapos hire them and then complain. Reasonable permits, etc. make sense. It's just that so much of our stuff anymore isn't reasonable.

But then, so much of EVERYTHING is done because someone else didn't think for themselves and need their hand held.

Amen. I'm done.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:22 PM

7,281 posts, read 18,705,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
Thanks for that info as well. We want to build ourselves and this is something we'd have to look into but you've eased my mind a bit.
Just to clarify, I was speaking of things Firefighten was asking about. Such as outbuildings. I am also speaking of fences, decks, minor home improvements and such, but when it comes to building a house from the ground up, yes there are some permits and inspections. Electric and septic being the two main inspections and permits. This is reference to home improvement. You should always check with your city hall before starting a project for home improvement especially if it adds square footage to your property. I had a client that charged a screened in deck into a closed in, heated room that became a continuation of the home. This was in a city limits area. When they wanted to refinance, the appraiser questioned why the difference in Sq footage on the tax appraised sheet and what they currently messured....... Ok, added it to appraisal and value went up, but when the potential new lender saw the discrepancy asked to see the permit because one is required in that area. The owner didn't have one. The appraisal was under cut at the lender level and the value of the new room was not allowed to be considered. The owner had to go down to the court house, pull a permit and then have it inspected and pay the small fine for not pulling one in the first place, but could not do that for the new financing, they would not count it. This is just an example of a good reason why to check with the court house first.
Yes, we do have A LOT less restrictions and lower fees associated with home improvement in this part of the country than a lot of places, but there are some, always best to check. I do know we did not have to get a permit to put up a shed, a fence or add a deck here where I am at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee