U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 03:22 AM

161 posts, read 559,498 times

Advertisements

Hmn, I was just perusing the NJ forum (have friends and relatives there) as well as the Va and NC forums (of course I read my home state of PA regularly) and noticed how many negative threads there are. I haven't checked out the Florida forum but there are plenty of negative threads mentioning Florida in the other forums! People seem to either love their area or hate it. In PA you get the " It's beautiful country" vs " It's boring" while NJ offers " Plenty of high paying jobs" vs "It's too expensive and crowded". NC has plenty of "It's cheaper than NJ or Florida" to "All the cookie cutter sub-divisions look like NJ or Florida, and the cost of living is approaching theirs, also". Reading some of these threads are like observing a family squabble during a holiday dinner: "I love this state" followed by "Why would anyone want to live here?"
Interestingly enough, I haven't seen many negative Tennessee threads at all, at least in the general forum. Sure, I've read comments about lower wages (that's true of much of the country other than the major urban areas along the coasts), crime in Memphis and Nashville (again, true of larger urban centers) but nothing approaching what I've read in other states' forums. I've only seen one or two posts along the lines of " I hate TN, can't wait to get out, people aren't friendly", etc ( the poster I think lives in Jackson and wants to move to NJ , as if they'll find friendly people there
Overall the TN threads are upbeat and positive, with very little doom and gloom. After reading some of the other forums it made me realize how refreshing TN's forum is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 06:59 AM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
793 posts, read 2,518,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougargm View Post
Overall the TN threads are upbeat and positive, with very little doom and gloom. After reading some of the other forums it made me realize how refreshing TN's forum is
You know, I've noticed that too. I've only gone onto the PA, Nevada and TN forums (Nevada only because we were briefly considering moving there), but the PA one out of those three is really doom and gloom. There's a few posters on there who try to bring it back up to reality, along with some who are only sunshine and roses. I love my home state and honestly don't understand why people hate it so, and if they hate it so much, then move elsewhere so that they can hate their new home. Sure, PA has it's faults, too many liberals in control for one, which caused and is causing many of the other problems. High taxes drive away business and people both. Heck, that's one of the reasons why hubby and I are leaving, but not the main one. The county we live in has lower taxes than Allegheny County where Pittsburgh is located. The further away you get from main cities, the lower taxes you pay. But then, the usual trade off is jobs, altho there are some nice industries out of the cities and out in the outlying counties, because of the lower taxes. You've got your basic 6% sales tax which may go up, depending on what county you live in, along with the state income tax, FICA etc (Federal), then the neverending nitpicky gotta get their hands into the pot municipal taxes which I despise. Don't get me started on taxes and the illegal entity known as the IRS.....

The area I live in is beautiful, rich in early American history. Pittsburgh was the gateway to the West in the 1700's. There is a rich cultural history here; I love going to the concerts once or twice a year. If you like his artwork, Andy Warhol is from Pittsburgh and the Andy Warhol Museum is in downtown Pittsburgh. Lots of state and local parks, lakes, hiking trails, mountains, along with world class resorts and the PGA Tour coming soon to Oakmont, and the PGA Tour at Nemacolin Resort in the Laurel Mountains (part of the Allegheny Mountain system which is part of the Appalachian Mountain system, which include the Smokies) sometime in the summer. I was born and raised in the mountains. I love the mountains, and my soul is bereft when I'm not in the mountains and hills. I've lived in Ottawa Canada - flat land - hated it, but loved it when my former fiance and I went to his mountain chalet in Quebec. I just feel more comfortable with those hills and mountains surrounding me.

Everyone has their druthers, and I'd druther live among the hills and mountains.

blessings, Shen

Old 04-27-2007, 08:14 AM

81 posts, read 275,429 times
I must admit, I agree with you. We had looked at some other forums and it WAS like a family scaubble. There were so many negative, rude comments, it was a real turn off IMO.
We all know every place has it's good and bad and a few problems are universal, like METH!!! but if I want doom and gloom I listen to the 6 p.m. news..... Like you, I found the Tenn. site refreshing and downright informative. Maybe we all need to take "mean pills" so no one else will want to move to Tennessee

Old 04-27-2007, 08:27 AM

13,905 posts, read 2,919,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALML View Post
I must admit, I agree with you. We had looked at some other forums and it WAS like a family scaubble. There were so many negative, rude comments, it was a real turn off IMO.
We all know every place has it's good and bad and a few problems are universal, like METH!!! but if I want doom and gloom I listen to the 6 p.m. news..... Like you, I found the Tenn. site refreshing and downright informative. Maybe we all need to take "mean pills" so no one else will want to move to Tennessee
I went over to the NH forum just out of curiosity and it was the same thing. There are more people trying to get out this state than realized. Nobody going to Tennessee though so I didn't mention it. I have to admit that when I read threads about people wanting to move here my first reaction was, "WHY?". I was tempted to join in and give my 47 reasons to stay away but I didn't. I have seen people posting in other places that are trying to get out of Tennessee. I even visited the Alaskan forum and posted as "Just visiting". I mentioned I wasn't moving to Alaska that I was going to Tennessee instead and immediately a girl from Tennessee came back advised me against it. It kind of makes me laugh moving around the forums becasue it seems no matter where anybody is they want to be somewhere else and everybody in somewhere else wants to be where anybody is.

Old 04-27-2007, 08:48 AM

26,949 posts, read 38,201,283 times
There are whiny, complaining, never-satisfied people everywhere.

Forums like this are a good place to complain.

I have found that the best response to them is none. They grow tired of having no one to argue with and go somewhere else.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
There are whiny, complaining, never-satisfied people everywhere.

Forums like this are a good place to complain.

I have found that the best response to them is none. They grow tired of having no one to argue with and go somewhere else.
I agree. That's my strategy! Sometimes there's just no point in saying anything to people who aren't listening. By the way Tek Freek. Love your profile

Old 04-27-2007, 09:32 AM

11,614 posts, read 31,815,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougargm View Post
Hmn, I was just perusing the NJ forum (have friends and relatives there) as well as the Va and NC forums (of course I read my home state of PA regularly) and noticed how many negative threads there are. I haven't checked out the Florida forum but there are plenty of negative threads mentioning Florida in the other forums! People seem to either love their area or hate it. In PA you get the " It's beautiful country" vs " It's boring" while NJ offers " Plenty of high paying jobs" vs "It's too expensive and crowded". NC has plenty of "It's cheaper than NJ or Florida" to "All the cookie cutter sub-divisions look like NJ or Florida, and the cost of living is approaching theirs, also". Reading some of these threads are like observing a family squabble during a holiday dinner: "I love this state" followed by "Why would anyone want to live here?"
Interestingly enough, I haven't seen many negative Tennessee threads at all, at least in the general forum. Sure, I've read comments about lower wages (that's true of much of the country other than the major urban areas along the coasts), crime in Memphis and Nashville (again, true of larger urban centers) but nothing approaching what I've read in other states' forums. I've only seen one or two posts along the lines of " I hate TN, can't wait to get out, people aren't friendly", etc ( the poster I think lives in Jackson and wants to move to NJ , as if they'll find friendly people there
I've noticed this, too. I think part of it is because we have such a good moderator with mbmouse. She does a good job making sure people don't post personal attacks. In an anonymous forum such as this, it's easy to get offended and even easier to be critical in a way that a normal person wouldn't even dream of doing in person.

But I also think it's because we are a happy bunch here. Someone earlier posted that even watching the TV news in Knoxville is a breath of fresh air because there's just not that much crime to report. The same is true in the Tri Cities and Chattanooga.

It's something that my parents notice, too, when they come back to Tennessee to visit. After retiring back to Florida, they found themselves surrounded by surly, grumpy old Northerners who love to complain and poke fun at the locals. They come back up here and love it. My mom actually cried in a supermarket in Cookeville because everyone was just so darn friendly, and SINCERELY friendly.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I've noticed this, too. I think part of it is because we have such a good moderator with mbmouse. She does a good job making sure people don't post personal attacks. In an anonymous forum such as this, it's easy to get offended and even easier to be critical in a way that a normal person wouldn't even dream of doing in person.

But I also think it's because we are a happy bunch here. Someone earlier posted that even watching the TV news in Knoxville is a breath of fresh air because there's just not that much crime to report. The same is true in the Tri Cities and Chattanooga.

It's something that my parents notice, too, when they come back to Tennessee to visit. After retiring back to Florida, they found themselves surrounded by surly, grumpy old Northerners who love to complain and poke fun at the locals. They come back up here and love it. My mom actually cried in a supermarket in Cookeville because everyone was just so darn friendly, and SINCERELY friendly.
Sighhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! There's that Northerner thing again You know if you live in Alaska I'm actually a southerner

Old 04-27-2007, 10:18 AM

11,614 posts, read 31,815,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northcountrygirl View Post
Sighhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! There's that Northerner thing again You know if you live in Alaska I'm actually a southerner
haha Yeah I know, sorry about that! I don't mean to imply that all Northerners are surly and rude. I think the surly and rude Northerners all end up in Florida at some point...

Old 04-27-2007, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
haha Yeah I know, sorry about that! I don't mean to imply that all Northerners are surly and rude. I think the surly and rude Northerners all end up in Florida at some point...
You're right!!! My sister lives down there (we fought alot)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or